NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

SSSSomkin'

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 01:25 PM

Unhappy SSSSomkin'

I gotta 1990 240sx with the KA24E engine, the car has about 120,000 miles on it and basicly been sittin the whole summer. I've been startin it up everyonce in awhile (since like 2 weeks ago) and when i rev it, i just the white smoke coming out the exhaust. Along with the white smoke anything i put behind the exhaust tip, it gets black spots on it, what is that black stuff shotin outta the pipe...and if i keep reving evenually this black resign starts drippin from the tail pipe., oh yeah and even when the cars off theres still smoke in the pipe, like i guess tripped smoke makin it's way out........any ideas whats going on, how to fix and or anything?
Old 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM

sounds like its oil coming out. I know my car used to burn oil really bad and when I'd rev it up oil and a ton of smoke would come out.

Last edited by Bryan; 02-23-2004 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2004, 02:42 PM

So what should i do to fix/help the problem? I'm doing the RB25DET engine swap i think, so i need this to last a but longer, so i can save up for that engine.......
Old 02-23-2004, 02:52 PM

Theres a bunch of things that can be causing it. It can be your piston rings or valve seals. Try and get a compression test done, also a leak down test. If you want you can try using that crap from auto stores thats supposed to stop your car from burning oil, but I would suggest the other methods I said about.

**edit: What part of PA are you from?**
Old 02-23-2004, 04:20 PM

I'm by Pittsburgh, i see you by Harrisburg.....we should meet up sometime or something when i get the engine and ****, maybe you can help me........
Old 02-23-2004, 06:16 PM

Since the car was sitting all summer, it probably got a bunch of condensation in the exhaust and the cat. When you are running the car, what you are getting is the water vapor from the water heating in the exhuast. The black spots is from the vapor bringing carbon out of the exhaust. My 92 did the same after it sat all summer. But it doesn't burn a single drop of oil. The white smoke is no different than when you run a car in the winter and there is white stuff coming out of the tail pipe. Unless the smoke smells like burning antifreeze, which would make my previous statement untrue.
Old 02-23-2004, 06:44 PM

hrm, never took a wiff of it, but i know what you mean about what you see in the winter, cuz that comes out at 1st, then when i really get on it the white shoots out.....+it was like 45ish degrees outside today, not to cold, so i know it isnt just the winter smog effect.......hrm well i guess we'll find out when it breaks down then, cuz if there is something wrong, prob to late to fix...maybe? What things should i check to reasure myself it's a problem or just simply no been run for awhile.....
Old 02-23-2004, 06:50 PM

Cars can still let out this white smoke even at 45 degrees. If there is something wrong, it is not to late to fix. Check to see if the smoke smells like anti-freeze, check to see if it is burning oil after driving it for a while, you might even be able to smell it, and just keep good tabs on all of your fluids and the temp gauge. The smoke might also be from water in the gas being dumped into the exhaust. Condensation can form inside the fuel tank just sitting around. Is the fuel fresh or is it the old gas from sittitng?
Old 02-23-2004, 07:04 PM

i believe most of it is fresh, but there might have been a bit in there that was sittin around for a bit....
Old 02-23-2004, 07:07 PM

Just drive the car for a few days or like two weeks and see if the prob clears up. If not, then do like s13 240 said. Otherwise, I think it is just fine.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:11 PM

ok, i'll give it a week or so, see what happens
Old 02-23-2004, 07:14 PM

Good, then let us know how it goes
Old 02-25-2004, 12:07 AM

91 was the first year they put in the dohc KA24DE. You have the sohc KA24E. IT sounds to me like you may need some new piston rings.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:02 PM

Well i didnt drive the car for "a few days" yet, but i thought of another way to descibe what it smells like. Ok it looks like when you put out a bon fire, that white smoke and smells like when you put out a bon fire also. Considering i dont really know what burnin oil smells like i dunno, but if it smells kinda like when you put out a bon fire with a hint of moth ***** or something, lol then it prob burning oil.....(kinda leaves that smell in your clothes as well, like after you've driving around with a smoker in your car all day...) But i mean it just has that beater smell to it, like some old buick or something would smell like......i guess thatd be it burnin oil? BUT b4 i jump to conclutions and stuff, i'll drive it around and use it more and see if the problem continues, maybe get it looked at real quick from a mechnic friend.....cant wait till i get the $ saved up cuz i'm droppin a nice RB25DET in there, then i wont even have to mess with this damn old motor......
Old 02-26-2004, 06:31 PM

Never really smelled anything like that comin from the exhaust. I do know the bonfire smell though. Maybe your cat is shot or something? But it sounds like a good idea to have your mechanic buddy look at it. And damn strait with the RB.