NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Too much heat from headers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 11:32 AM

Too much heat from headers.

After cruising around town i noticed that the areas around my greddy headers were extremely hot to the touch (firewall, distributor, spark plug wires, Power steering pump reservoir and line, filter... basically everything surrounding it)

My distributor stopped working a few weeks ago and i'm guessing it must've been the extreme heat from my headers so my question is...

What can i do to cool down that area other than getting a vented hood or header wraps? I heard that the wraps weren't great for the headers.

If i can't cool it down, is there a way to protect or cover everything else (distributor, plug wires, etc)?

thanks in advanced.

P.S. after installing the filter, i lost about 7 mpg. i put the stock one back on and hopefully it was the filter.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

you can wrap everything else including the header... i kinda have the same problem as my turbo manifold is titanium and is way hotter that the greddy one.(trust me) i had to wrap the brake lines even because they were getting to hot. you want to make sure that your header stays hot so that your exhuast doesnt condense, you will lose hp that way. wrap everything you can, i know its ugly but it works. also i read that propped hood thing its not a bad idea.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:13 PM

What do i wrap everything else with? Where do i get them? If i wrap them with heat insulators, wouldn't that insulate the heat of a wrapped distributor or what not?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

if you are any kind of good with sheet metal you can fab up a set of shields that isolate the parts from the heat... now this will not cure the problem but it will help isolate the parts from as much heat as possible... then if you were to cover the shiels with heat insulation it would isolate the part even more...
Old 05-03-2005, 05:30 PM

I think that's way too many parts for the heatshield option. If i were to go that route, i would fabricate a shield to cover the headers but i doubt that would be possible for me.

Heat insulation for distributor, p/s reservoir hose, etc. don't seem like a bad idea but i'd rather have some kind of heat reflector instead (if there is such a thing). I dont want to keep heat in those parts, i want to keep them out (unless they do both).
Old 05-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

Aluminized heat barrier would do the trick, it comes in sheets and the silver side reflects heat.

Also (off the top of my head) how about rewiring your a/c fan to stay on at all times when the car is running, or through a switch?
Old 05-08-2005, 09:58 AM

You guy's have it all wrong........
A 3" in and a 3" out random technology high flow catalylitic converter will disapate the heat and allow more flow, letting the turbo mani, headers, down pipes to run cooler, will also help spooling time on turbos......
If you want to go cheap on catylitic converters get a chevy catylitic converter found on the 3500 series trucks and the chevy corvette
Header wrap will help......... But after long use of header wrap the welds to the header begin to crack..............

Last edited by BigVinnie; 05-08-2005 at 08:08 PM.