NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

Tune up and Spark Plug type?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 11:28 AM

Question Tune up and Spark Plug type?

Hello there everyone. I am quite new to the site and this is my second thread. I have had my 91 240 HICAS for about 1 month now. I love the car, and will be doing some mods to it.

Couple of questions for anyone that can help. First off what is the best type of spark plug to run in this car? ie. platnium, Iridium, Standard & Brand.

Second, my car seems to hesitate in first gear on acceleration. With this, when i start the car, I need to apply throttle to get it to start. I am not sure what the gas milage should be on this car but it doesn't seem great, any ideas?

I have replaced my fuel filter, new Synthetic 5w30 Castrol and filter, K&N Air Filter.

Thanks
the Gary

Old 09-23-2003, 02:30 AM

Nissans come with NGK plugs, they are the best ones to use for our cars. You dont need all that platinum crap and triple fire junk that doest work. I mean you can get that if it makes you feel better but www.courtesynissan.com and get your plugs for 1.86 or something a piece. Or go to your local shop and see if they carry ngk. Oh yea, dont use castrol, i know oil IS oil but mobil 1 synthentic isnt the most popular with car guys nationwide for no reason.

Robbie
Old 09-23-2003, 09:04 AM

tuneup

Thanks for the heads up. I will get those plugs. My local store here has those plugs for $5 cdn a pair.....

Thank
thegary
Old 09-23-2003, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

and here i thought i was just loyal to moble cuz if i get better gas mileage and performance with their gas, :-p when i tuned up my car i used moble1 oil, and uses that oil cleaner, that gets rid of all that gook and gunk out of your engine.. it runs alot better now too..

Last edited by irax; 09-23-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:38 PM

theres nothing special about NGK

i had a moped over in europe for a summer...and it's stock plug was an NGK...and i replaced it with a motor rebuild and it sucked....tried another brand and it sucked too...i put in a BOSCH and the thing ran noticably better. it was a hilly moutainy or whatever you wanna call it...out away from the city and i would always get caught in this one spot with the ngk's...and with the other...but with the bosch i made it by.

i had to stop and let it cool down.

anyhow...
Old 10-21-2003, 01:56 AM

Ok, we are talkin about spark plugs, its not a big deal. But I think if nissan the company that MADE our cars recommends ngk....i meaaaaaaan...lol. Also popeheads are 2 cycle motor and a gas and oil mixture....and its a, yea, a mopehead.

Robbie
Old 10-21-2003, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I was told to leave the bosch plugs in the european cars where they belong, and that NGK's work best for nissans, and mine have worked great. But who knows.

Dr.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:25 PM

ngk are the best for nissans. and i used valvoline max life with an k&n oil filter and i get great mileage. i also got the ngk spark plug wires try that
Old 11-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

magnecore wires give the best results...
Old 11-03-2003, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

I'm having really good results with Iridiums and Aurora 8.5mm wires... PDM sells the Aurora wires at a great price and so far I've had no problems... they also sell the Iridiums cheap - although I have the HKS ones (girlfriend bought them for me - she didn't know about Denso or other less expensive brands, poor thing).

The common opinion amongst most 240 owners is to stick with NGK and I do agree with them since Nissan uses NGK as stock, but like I said I've been having great results so far with my combo (albeit a little more $$ spent) if you want to try it out. Start-up is better, idle feels better, and response feels better too.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:35 AM
Contributing Member

PSSSSSSST 91 cams (from a 240sx) are the best cams out of any of the ka24de serise engine supposedly better torque then from a 92+ thats what i read any ways.

Last edited by irax; 11-05-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

PSSSST... trade? LOL j/p

I got them for $50 a pair so I can't complain
Old 11-06-2003, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

yes, swapping 91 cams in your car will definately help, if you do the full set you'll add 6-10hp.

Dr.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:48 AM

A tune up cap, rotor, plugs and wires will restore lost hp. Stock wires start to suck after about 20 - 30,000 miles. I will vouch for NGK plugs and wires. Do not trust the factory gap, check each plug and gap 'em properly. If your car is properly maintained adding one brand of wires or another will not add hp. Same goes with platinum. Platinum plugs do last longer. However, if you plan to add forced induction or nitrous/alternative fuel, then platinum or iridium with an upgraded ignition system will be well worth it.

Mobil 1 been bery bery good to me. Check if your WalMart sells it in 5 quart bottles (are there WalMarts in Ca.) Costs me $17US per bottle. WalMart's best kept secret

Take off the intake and check to see if your throttle plate is sticking. That could be the cause of the problem on startup. Run some injector cleaner through the tank. That failing, have a mechanic check your fuel pressure.

The a/f ratio is very lean below 2k, about 17:1. Any leaner that that will cause pinging and missfiring and the resultant hesitation. The previous owner probably never replaced the O2 sensor. I think your car only has one on the exhaust manifold. Also spray the MAFS with no-residue carb cleaner.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:15 PM

thanks for all the info. What is the MAFS exactly?

thegary

Quick Reply: Tune up and Spark Plug type?