S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   NA Motor (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/)
-   -   Tune up and Spark Plug type? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/na-motor-11/tune-up-spark-plug-type-6218/)

l2aine 11-09-2003 02:19 AM

Originally posted by thegary
thanks for all the info. What is the MAFS exactly?

thegary

Mass Air Flow Sensor, measures the amount of air coing through the intake so that the ECU can calculate how much fuel to put into the cylinders

irax 11-15-2003 12:17 AM

Originally posted by l2aine
PSSSST... trade? LOL j/p

I got them for $50 a pair so I can't complain :D

if you wanna trade the whole motor YES i can use a newer lower milege motor in my car, trade cams ? your gonna have to pay me 100 to trade ;-)

thegary 12-10-2003 07:16 AM

MASF Cleaning?

I see that the MAFS seems to be quite important for performance issues.
I have taken the air cleaner off to have a look at this item, but next to wiping it down with some carb cleaner, can anyone else suggest how i should clean it. Need to do this the right way.

I just removed my AIV and it made a lot of difference in the throttle response and acceleration.

Any help is always appreciated.

THanks
thegary

:thumb:

irax 12-11-2003 05:42 PM

K&N makes air filter cleaner kits that they suggest to use on their air filters, but it works for all aftermarket airfilters

l2aine 12-11-2003 05:51 PM

Originally posted by irax
K&N makes air filter cleaner kits that they suggest to use on their air filters, but it works for all aftermarket airfilters
Key word there is "aftermarket". I wouldn't recommend the "carb cleaner to the stock air filter" thing you did. Some OEM replacement air cleaners/filters will get eaten up by carb cleaner :thumb:

thegary 12-11-2003 07:27 PM

carb cleaner

I worded that wrong sorry. I cleaned up the MAFS with carb cleaner as it wipes away the dirt easily. I didn't mean to say that i was cleaning the air filter.

I was wondering on other ways to clean the MAFS ?

thanks
thegary

irax 12-12-2003 02:09 AM

Originally posted by l2aine
Key word there is "aftermarket". I wouldn't recommend the "carb cleaner to the stock air filter" thing you did. Some OEM replacement air cleaners/filters will get eaten up by carb cleaner :thumb:
i didnt say anything about using carb cleaner on OEM paper filters, iono if they are ACUALY paper, but they seem like it to me.. and using carb cleaner to get dirt off stuff..hmm.. did it work well ? would it be a good idea to use it to clean rims ?

thegary 12-12-2003 06:49 AM

Carb Cleaner

I had some sticky type of what look like exhaust build up on part of the MAFS, and I didn't have gas handy, so i used carb cleaner. Worked great. My whole though on the this thread was to find out if there is a certain part of MAFS that i should be cleaning and how I should go about to make sure that i am cleaning it all properly.

Thanks
the gary
:ugh:

l2aine 12-12-2003 09:01 AM

Originally posted by irax
i didnt say anything about using carb cleaner on OEM paper filters, iono if they are ACUALY paper, but they seem like it to me.. and using carb cleaner to get dirt off stuff..hmm.. did it work well ? would it be a good idea to use it to clean rims ?
I dunno about carb cleaner (never tried it) but engine cleaner (the orange-smelling kind) works great for cleaning wheels... just make sure to rinse it all away, then clean the wheel again with regular soap and water to remove any leftover residue.

irax 12-12-2003 05:23 PM

i just got done cleaning my wheels with carb cleaner.. OMG CARB CLEANER OWNED ME!!! LOL! they look almost brand new. and i used that alloy cleaner afterwards, and its like night and day. other then the big dent in the side, my car looks nice now :-p :D

fist 03-03-2004 05:20 PM

i bought NGK iridiums on my 240...havent driven it yet tho :(

anyways....in the book they had for the applications 240sx wasnt even listed....so i got the plugs that were for the altima with the same engine....that should be ok right?

irax 03-03-2004 11:07 PM

as far as i know, plugs are just plugs, they probably have it pre-gaped and thats why they have the listed aplications... you should be just fine..

any one have a suggestion for oil after 180k miles ? i think its time i start running 10w50 or something cuz i hear you should run thicker oil after alot of miles..

Driftmonster 03-04-2004 12:35 AM

NGK...

Driftmonster

http://www.geocities.com/wardog5811/SR20det.html