NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

turbo lag, with NO TURBO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 10:10 AM

turbo lag, with NO TURBO!!!

Hi,

My RPM's/ acceleration lags, and struggles through 2k-3k on my rpm's.
It is very frustrating. I checked all my lines and all is good. My 92 coupe/5 speed has 120,000 miles on it. It happened 'bout a week ago.

Thanks for your knowledge ahead of time.
Onevia
Old 10-04-2005, 02:23 PM

Dude, where in Culver City are you? Maybe I can help you if, I can help at all. I stay in CC as well, and have a similar problem with my car, but I already know what my the problem is.

Is your check engine light at all? I know very little about the 240 as I have only had it for three months, but I am willing to help ya!
Old 10-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

check MAFS contacts, Timing, and see if the plugs have any tell-tale signs on the electrode.

There's a start
Old 10-04-2005, 04:22 PM

So how do I check the timing????
Should I search, I think I'll search
Old 10-04-2005, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

with a timing gun .. lol

Has to be done by a mechanic.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:43 PM

what up

alright man, if your mashing the throttle and your getting lag, thats shady. Of course you know that when you mash the throttle body, it opens the disc and allows the surge of air to rush through. I used to have problems with ' Throttle stick', where it was old and was sticking and then it would instantly jolt. I would try to check your throttle body, and also it could be crappy fuel injectors, throw some auto zone fuel treatment in
Old 10-04-2005, 07:22 PM

I put some STP fuel sysrem cleaner in and it seemed to get worse! I heard a POP under my car when I mashed the throttle. Yikes! Now how do I check the throttle body? Is that where the intake meets the left side of the engine? The butterfly thing that sucks in air? *Man I sound stupid.
Thanks for all your guys help
Old 10-06-2005, 02:07 PM

I changed my fuel filter to a Z32 filter. The response is better, but there is still a lag. How can I change the plugs and wires, it seems fairly easy if I can get the tool to take out the spark plugs
Old 10-06-2005, 02:20 PM

for the plugs you would just need a deep socket, I forget the exact size though
Old 10-06-2005, 02:23 PM

My tools been stolen with my last 240 I have yet to buy new ones. I figure I can rent one from Autozone though. All I have to do is register my car and this came up the week before I was going to do it! grrr
Does anyone know a good shop in SoCal to get it diagnosed?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by onevia
Now how do I check the throttle body? Is that where the intake meets the left side of the engine? The butterfly thing that sucks in air? *Man I sound stupid.
yea, on the left side of the engine, take of the intake piping... it's the bronze colored butterfly valve... hold down the gas (CAR OFF) so it holds open and wipe/ clean everything
Old 10-07-2005, 09:40 AM

I put some STP fuel sysrem cleaner in and it seemed to get worse! I heard a POP under my car when I mashed the throttle. Yikes! Now how do I check the throttle body? Is that where the intake meets the left side of the engine? The butterfly thing that sucks in air? *Man I sound stupid.

I changed my fuel filter to a Z32 filter. The response is better, but there is still a lag. How can I change the plugs and wires, it seems fairly easy if I can get the tool to take out the spark plugs

Did you use the fuel treatment before changing the fuel filter? Never again. If you didn't change the filter chances are you got more nasty into your injectors and motor.

Try running the treatment on it again with a clean filter. If that doesn't work get some new injectors or clean/flow test the old ones.

Check and clean TB. Check gaskets on the TB, plenum, and manifold.

Check vacuum lines.

Get the computer checked to see if it is throwing codes...

EDIT: Check all ignition and timing as stated before.

Good luck.

Last edited by Enig; 10-07-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

it it possible that you got water into the park plug wells by... washing your engine bay with a pressure washer?

if so... change your plugs and spray some wd-40 into the spark plug wells then install the plugs and spray some on top. DO NOT flood anything. go easy.

if not then disregard this post.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:33 PM

yea, I put the cleaner in a week before I changed out the filter. So I should run some fuel system cleaner again? I cleaned out the throttle body today and pretty much nothing changed. It did feel better in the higher rpms. It's still just between 2k-3k rpm. All my vacuum lines are good. I still haven't checked the spark plugs. I tried taking off the plastic cover to the fuel rail and a piece literally cracked off. Damn, I really hop it's not the injector's. Few have told me that the fuel system cleaner/additive's are no good. Is this true to most of you?

Waynehead: I didn't wash the bay or go through any heavy water, but thanks.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:19 AM

yea, I put the cleaner in a week before I changed out the filter. So I should run some fuel system cleaner again? I cleaned out the throttle body today and pretty much nothing changed. It did feel better in the higher rpms. It's still just between 2k-3k rpm. All my vacuum lines are good. I still haven't checked the spark plugs. I tried taking off the plastic cover to the fuel rail and a piece literally cracked off. Damn, I really hop it's not the injector's. Few have told me that the fuel system cleaner/additive's are no good. Is this true to most of you?

Waynehead: I didn't wash the bay or go through any heavy water, but thanks.

Check all of your ignition next. Wires, plugs, coil, (no distro on these?), timing, and while you're at it a compression check wouldn't hurt.

You might also have to replace some gaskets around the motor.. so look out for leaks of oil/coolant.

Find some where to check the computer.

The reason why you don't use the fuel cleaner BEFORE changing the filter is all the gunk in the dirty filter will be dissolved and than run through your injectors and into your motor.. which was what you filter was trying to keep from happening.

Always use fuel cleaner AFTER replacing the fuel filter.

Quick Reply: turbo lag, with NO TURBO!!!