NA Motor Discussions regarding N/A KA24E, KA24DE, and SR20DE

water pump installation help

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 08:45 PM

Exclamation water pump installation help

my first post! i'm a newbie so please bare with me. alright.. i did the whole search thing so don't get mad at me if this was already posted.. i didn't find anything in the search or maybe i wasn't looking hard enough? ok, let me begin.

i have a 1990 nissan 240sx... my baby! almost reached 100,000 miles! haha ok ok.. so my engine is over heating. every time i drive the car, my engine just heats up! it heats up so bad that it doesn't start. there's this one time when i drove it from work to my house and i accidentally splashed water on the heat sheild?? and it sizzled!!!! hardcore!!! since this car is STOCK, i bought a koyo radiator to replace the stock radiator. *not a virgin anymore!! haha* ok.. my brother and i installed a new fuel pump, thermostat and the radiator. here's the thing... the engine STILL feels extremely hot when i run it. i feel like i'm making my motor oil boil!! very uncool.. i don't want to destroy my engine!!!

ok.. the question: is this a water pump problem??? i heard it's suppose to have a "current" flow when you look from the top of the radiator and the fluid has to be moving at a direction. well, when i checked, it wasn't moving at all!!!

second question: if it's the water pump, can any of you advise me on how to install the water pump? is this hard to do? i don't want to go through a mechanic cause they're charging me over 250 for an install. can someone break down what i need to change the water pump? tools.. sealants.. certain procedures.. etc. *i have the chilton book, but i'm not quite following it.. help? please!*
private msg. me or replies on this board would be great!! thanks in advance! - steph
Old 07-24-2005, 02:28 PM

It's been a while since I replaced my water pump. It wasn't too difficult, it just took a long time. You will probally have to run to your local ace hardware to replace old/broken bolts. Take the intake runners off, then the fan, fan cluth (pain to get to the bolts), then your water pump should be 4 or 5 bolts. You will use a silicone gasket. Don't buy the pep-boys crap. The sealent wouldn't hold under the hihgh temp. Go get the sealent from nissan. It cost like 20 buck but well worth it. Also get an OEM water pump. When you put the screw on the new water pump start with two bolts (make sure you new 4 new ones from the dealership). The screw doesn't have a head to it. You will put one bolt on and then another one on top of it so you can secure it properly to the water pump. Make sure you dont screw the bottom bolt on the way down. It will be a pain to take them both off later. Clean off the old silicone gasket from the engine. I just used a razor blade. Put a good amount of silicone on the water pump and install.
If you got a pep boys thermostat, i would recommend you replace it with a OEM one as well as the hoses and the radiator cap.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:43 PM

thanks for the reply... we put in a new water pump and fan clutch.. the engine is still feeling hot. my temp. says normal and sometimes a little above normal... what's wrong with my car? anyone know? is it normal? i dunno.. my radiator gets hot too just for warming up the car. eh.. is it my 100++ degree weather??? i live in cali where it's dry heat or humid.. so.. is this the cause? anyone know? please.. all feedback is welcome.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:10 PM

it's normal

if you want get a good aftermarket water temp gauge
your looking for temps around 180'
Old 07-29-2005, 01:01 PM

i don't think it's normal... well if it is.. why does my car choose to start? cause when i drive my car for a long/short period of time.. *which is only 20 mins!!! or less* the engine feels extremely hot. even with the new water pump, fan clutch, belts, fuel pump, thermostat, and a radiator (koyo) it still feels extremely hot AND it won't start at times* it's scary cause i work till 4 in the morning and my car won't start!! LOL so i'm left in the parking lot by myself hoping and praying for my car to start LOL and that no one sees me LOL HAHA it's embarassing!! the only remedy for this is that i have to leave my foot on the clutch for a very long time OR i have to pump the clutch and hope that it starts! LOL

i still think it's overheating... internally??? haha thanks for the feedback.. i'm taking it to nissan for a diagnosis this coming thursday.. i hope they can figure out the problem.

but.. if u guys have more suggestions... please contact me or reply on this board. thanks a whole bunch!

(a lil note.. yes, my dashboard lights up fine but i can't figure out why my engine heats up so much and chooses to start when it wants.. heh)

sorry if i sound redundant on this thing... i guess it's cause my car is having redundant issues haha
Old 07-29-2005, 01:48 PM

have you tried a new starter?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:33 PM

After my move out to Vegas (from Cali) my ka24de is doing something similar... It sometimes won't start, or it will start but sputter and die (especially if you gas it at all). Then if you try to restart it will crank and crank but it seems like it's not getting any fuel... Out of nowhere I'll try to start it and it will fire up like nothing.

I haven't pulled my codes, I'm hoping that there is something useful being stored there.

I've a new Nismo thermostat and 1.5bar radiator cap, water wetter and new upper/lower hoses to install -- I hope that solves it. BTW the coolant levels are normal and all sensors are connected...

Sorry I can't help the author more but I'm in the same boat and I'll watch this thread, hopefully someone else has some ideas...
Old 07-30-2005, 05:03 PM

no, i haven't tried a new starter. today, i looked at my coolant resevoir and whoa.. all the coolant was gone. i put more in and heard some guzzling... i go inside the house to put the coolant away... i come back like.. 5 mins and majority of my coolant is gone! i look under my car and find two leaks!!!!! one small baby leak.. and the other a massive a spill!! did my engine crack??? i couldn't see the leak, but took some pics off of my camcorder. i'll try to post them on asap.

(yeah da car is dirty shush! ;p)

ok.. maybe there's three spills??? ;x

Last edited by STEPz; 07-30-2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-30-2005, 05:19 PM

wait.. maybe that's the AC??? haha iono.. someone help!
Old 08-15-2005, 07:20 PM

by the spot that the coolant is dripping on the ground looks like your heater hoses have taken a caca my friend. on hose tee's off the block on the paassenger side back of the motor under the intake manifold it goes into the fire wall thru the heater core than back out the fire wall and into the coolector on the lower intake manifold where it then rejoins the cooling circuit those hoses wear and crack and leak if you have any questions check out the sticky with the cooling circuit at the top of the forum should help you out not a real ball buster
Old 08-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by speedracerM5
by the spot that the coolant is dripping on the ground looks like your heater hoses have taken a caca my friend. on hose tee's off the block on the paassenger side back of the motor under the intake manifold it goes into the fire wall thru the heater core than back out the fire wall and into the coolector on the lower intake manifold where it then rejoins the cooling circuit those hoses wear and crack and leak if you have any questions check out the sticky with the cooling circuit at the top of the forum should help you out not a real ball buster
yeah.. it was taking a big liquid caca.. we found the leaks.. it was the rack & pinion.. also it was the lower radiator hose.. other than that.. i'll check up on what you just said.. i dunno much about my car, but i'll follow what you said.