Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

6 months until Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2002, 03:50 AM

Unhappy 6 months until Maryland

Yep I've finally had enough fun and its time to return to the land of the SUV. Right back to my old in Maryland. Hopefully that will only last no more then a year and I can go up to Rochester NY. The way its looking the Pulsar will be staying here in Japan as the US gov has it pretty well setup so that nothing interesting can get back in the US. Rotten bastards!
Old 04-24-2002, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

u should come to texas....weather sucks, but its great here
Old 04-24-2002, 12:19 PM

What's wrong with Maryland? I like Maryland!
Old 04-24-2002, 02:36 PM

Other then there being more SUV's then cars, paying 33% in taxes because of all the federal, state, local and school taxes, an absurd housing market where even a damn condo costs $100K, really high insurance costs and having to hear about those stupid *** sports teams of theirs? Not saying that Maryland is a suburb of hell its just my idea of a place I want to live.
Old 04-24-2002, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RNN14
Other then there being more SUV's then cars
gay
Old 04-24-2002, 03:52 PM

you can get the pulsar through easy. ship it to mexico. take a vacation. drive it in. get insurance as a custom built car. there ya go. check out this thread for ideas:

http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=1

go to this one in a couple days, I JUST started it.
http://www.rx7club.com/forum/showthr...threadid=74097
Old 04-24-2002, 04:47 PM

Not even going to comment on how assinine it would be to try to get around the US Customs, NHTSA, DOT and the EPA. Not to mention the insurance company and the state of NY. It can no longer use a production vehicles frame or chasis to be classified a custom built car and your not going to get it registered without being inspected by the state. Its a basic requirement for registering a custom built car. They get to go over every inch of the car. Not to mention I would have to have reciepts from the company who sold me the pieces that I'd use. Then there is the fact of going to jail for a federal crime if I got caught trying to screw the US gov out of Customs fees, duty and smuggling. Then the idea of my insurance company taking everything I own if I have an accident because its not a legal vehicle for road use. Anybody dumb enough to try to get away with it gets what they deserve when they finally get caught. Just not worth the trouble. I'll buy an Audi S4 and be happy with that. By the way they no longer allow just any old car under the Show or Display section of the import laws along with a serious tightening of the laws for race only vehicles. Rolling chasis aren't even allowed anymore. That is why companies send front clips of cars. Cars from US territories are supposed to inspected and registered like any other car. Get a lawyer and do some real checking and find out what happens when and if you get caught. By the way the Pulsar and the RX7 are not on the list of Unique or limited production cars. have to have a build number below 500, be totally unique and not share any chasis that is already on the market. Kit cars like the Ultima are not using any chasis from a known production vehicle and actually meet the CA carb laws and are CARB legal. So removing a motor and shipping it still isn't legal. After 1990 something you had to have airbags in the US as well and those new RX7's didn't have them. Along with the JDM 3mph impact bumpers and the US using 5mph bumpers there is the safety glass, side impact beams, aligning of the headlights because with a RHD car the headlights and the wheel alignment is to the left and not to the right for LHD US roads. Hell even Australia and NZ are requiring conversions now to JDM cars before being road legal.
Old 04-24-2002, 09:05 PM
Contributing Member

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

enjoy
Old 04-25-2002, 01:44 PM

I was talking to a guy who does this alot.... you actually do it a diffrent way.

send it to guam. get it registered and insured, then ship it to the usa. everything is legal, unless this person who I know pretty well was lying about doing it with 1999+ rx-7's and WRX-STi's. He says that he can get a 98 WRX-STi, good condition, legally to your house for 30,000 USD. you gotta cover insurance

I dunno how it all works, but he says that he has a guy in guam and doing this is how he can afford his new car....rx-7 spirit R type A...... if you dont know what that means, go here: http://www.auto-asia.com/viewcontent...l=yes&char=715
Old 04-25-2002, 02:21 PM

www.customs.ustreas.gov/travel/auto.htm
www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/
He's full of **** then. It can go to Guam legally but not the US. If its not on the import list then its not legal. That's just how it is. The brother in law is a lawyer and I already had him check. Just the same way the SR20DET conversion is sold to people in the US. Its still not legal. Its just not the companies problem when you get caught. The whole idea of the illegal importing is like the old myth of the forced motor swap in Japan. A bunch of crap that gets spread on the internet.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:13 PM

forced motor swap in japan? huh? educate please
Old 04-25-2002, 06:43 PM

From time to time you'll see some dumb *** spout off that in Japan there is some mythical law that requires motor swaps at a certain mileage level or after a certain year. It's a bunch of crap. Its basically just a urban legend. The funniest part is when you hear a company that is selling motors in the US actually try to make the claim. if they actually had half a clue they wouldn't be saying that.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Japanese engines

I import motors and I've been to Japan and know what's up. Basically there's a inspection every 2 years on anything over 3 years old. The fee of this inspection varies from $800-$3000+ depending on the new price of the car, and covers 200+ inspection points. So take this, add it to any repairs the car may need, then add that premium is almost $5 a gallon in Japan and everyone is buying hybrids, and there is where the engines come from. We still get the shaft because virtually every other country can just have the whole car after 15 years.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

wow. this thread is so old