Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

BIR NHRA dragracing

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 AM

BIR NHRA dragracing

this isnt really about the races, just a story that happend. When one of the teams was coming up they got there whole trailer stolen, 40,000 in tools alone were in that thing, the funny part is they were caught 10 minutes later on a highway about only 3 miles away. How do you get away with a big *** trailer? . BTW do the sponsers really care if people steal the banners from them? I got like 25 huge banners, but they arnt that cool (Jegs, Fram Air Hog, Monster) but im selling them to my dads friend who has a garage. Does any one know how much they are worth?
Old 08-16-2005, 08:16 AM
PNG

Banner thieves should all die painful deaths.

I work for the company that puts on the NMRA and NMCA domestic drag racing series, and back when I used to go to those races (I work on a sport compact magazine now) one of my jobs on Saturday afternoon was banner patrol.

Sponsors pay money to have those made, and pay more money to have the banners up by us at the track. If their representatives show up on Sunday and they don't see many of their banners, because they've been stolen, it makes it very hard for us to keep selling them sponsorships. It's even worse if their logo doesn't show up in the TV coverage because all the fences have been stripped.

So, as a result, every Saturday afternoon, we had to go around and chase off people trying to take them, confiscate the ones they'd pulled down already, and put them back up Sunday morning. It makes a ton of extra work for the promoters, and it hurts the companies that are trying to support drag racing.

I can't speak for anybody else's series (some try to recycle banners between events) but at ours, after the racing is done on Sunday, people are welcome to take the banners because we'll get a new batch for the next event. But the problem is that people are treasure-hunting thieves who can't wait that long.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:14 AM

LOL, sorry, i think most of those sponsers have enuff money. They can forfet some of those banners.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:29 AM
PNG

You'd be surprised.

And there's no such thing as "enuff money," you damn communist!

Seriously, though, if they paid for banner space for 20 banners at a race, they have to send us at least 30 so that we can replace the ones that get stolen on Saturday. When you increase the cost of getting banners printed by 50%, companies start thinking twice about whether they can afford it or not. And if they decide they can't, pretty soon the promoter stops making money, and there's no race there next year.