Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

Can I sue my local GM dealer for this ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 09:39 PM

Can I sue my local GM dealer for this ?

I was there around 1 week ago to get my brakes checked.

They guy told me there was nothing wrong with them and that they looked brand new.

I kept questioning him and told him many times that they dont feel good at all.
But he kept telling me they are fine so i just left.

then today on my way home the brakes gave out, didnt work at all.

thankfully I was only going around 26mph and put it in neutral till it died off.

Last edited by Ayuaddict; 04-25-2007 at 03:36 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

I'd bring the issue up to them. I don't know if you can sue them if there was no work done to it(the brakes). I think I would speak with your lawyer or see if a lawyer would see you for a consultation.

I am not a certified legal source...there may be one here, but then again; it's the internet--everyone is a Doctor/Lawyer/Politician, etc...lol.

Let us know what happens.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:46 PM

yea I definently do plan on consulting with a lawyer.

Im not looking at anything out of it, just wanna get my car fixed and teach these idiots a lesson.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

i had something similar happen to me before i knew anything about cars. after that i didn't trust any mechanic and began to do all of my own work.

i'm not saying i know everything there is to know about cars, but at least i know what was done.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Unholy FD3S
thankfully I was only going around 26mpg
thank god...i though you were goin to run out of gas!
Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

har har, fixed.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

So was there any damage done? You can't really sue them for not doing work either, they aren't liable for anything they didnt repair or replace. Suing is never the answer either.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:12 PM

no nothing went wrong...but what if i was on the highway ?

could have easily died.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

once at a local tire shop the guy refused to fix a flat. he said he couldn't do it because it was too close to the side wall and if it blew out after he fixed it he could be sued. i asked him if he could air it up so i coud take it to a shop where they would fix it and he said sure.

after he aired it up i asked him if he wasn't worried that it might blow out on the way to another shop. and that i'd sue him for knowingly and willingly aiding me in operating a car not suitable for use. he gave me a look of concern but said nothing. i didn't know if such a law suit would have even been possible to pursue but i though i'd yank the guys chain a bit.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Generally, when you sue you request damages. If there are no damages, you don't have grounds for a suit.

It would also be difficult unless you had paid them to inspect the brakes or done some work on them. Then you'd have written proof that they had checked the brakes and you were relying on the expert opinion that you had paid for. If you had paid for an inspection and the info they gave you turned out to be wrong you might have grounds to get the inspection fee back... that would be damages.

The other thing to consider is the reason they went out. Did you pick up some road debris and loose a line/fluid? Even if the main brakes went out you should still have the e-brake to slow you down.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:51 PM

if u had it in writing that they said nothing was wrong with ur brakes and u had some kind of police report stating u had your brakes give out and mal function you probably could not sue at all. i do however think you have the right to *****/chew them a new *** hole for their lack of properly inspecting ur ish. it sounds like they did a good ol' jersey rush job on ur ish. go scream and get some free **** from them. or just set their place on fire. lol. good luck man.

hey, i spoke with my bro who is a business major and he said that you would most likely be able to sue them for the cost of your new brakes/ brake work thats done to fix it. he said he could not remember the exact reason but he had a discussion in class on the topic. probably doesnt help, but just another angle of attack. good luck again.

Last edited by Darkvillin; 05-14-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Ladies and Gentlemen, its okay
(EDIT: Gentlmen...we all know there are no girls on this forum)

He drives a S14 and a FD RX7 and soon to be a M3. He dosen't give a **** about GM dealers hahaha.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:06 PM

They guy told me there was nothing wrong with them and that they looked brand new.
It doesn't sound like he inspected them at all. It could be a leak in the brake line, for all you know; or it could be anything by chance.

You can't really sue a service shop for not doing any work on your car, especially if you don't have anything in writing. Alas, I am not a lawyer, but I don't expect a lawyer (one that is half-decent human being; I know, it's rare) to say anything much different.

What you can do is raise a stink: recommend to anyone against the particular shop. Word-of-mouth is the best advertising, good or bad.

He drives a S14 and a FD RX7
Good point. What are you doing at a GM dealer? They'll know jack about specifics for these sort of vehicles, especially the RX7.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 PM

i dont give a **** but this is unacceptable.

For the update

I got free brakes, new rotors, pads, calipers, and lines.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

There ya go! At least you got that. What'd you say to them exactly?

Quick Reply: Can I sue my local GM dealer for this ?