Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

College Majors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Contributing Member

College Majors?

Was thinking about the future today ... and what to take in college. I'd like to do something involving cars/performance parts, testing, design, installation etc.

What majors would cover those areas? Something like mechanical engineering, but my math isnt amazing, and i want to do more hands on studying and for a job... not just hand on a mouse all day...

What did you guys take i college, or looking to take
Old 09-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

B.S. Policy and Management CMU '04, I've given thought to the the same career type you're posting about. To break in to the field though you'll pretty much need an engineering degree of some sort. The only other option I could think of was a degree in Industrial Design, but you really need to know how to draw~ and draw well. (which is why I didn't go that route...) Undergrad major does not really count for that much~ it's just a bunch of words on a piece of paper. What really counts is the type of experience you have. You can always try going the business side of things in the automotive world and [unfortunately] a business school degree can open a lot of doors if you decide to work in that area. Otherwise, there's always grad school~ if you're not that good at math, then maybe a math major for undergrad and engineering for grad? I'd say try and find an internship at an automotive aftermarket parts company (AEM, HKS, JWT, or whatever) and see if you can get your foot in the door and get some experience there. Otherwise you could go help out at a parts store or mod shop~ anything to get yourself familiarized with the parts that are out there and to get some experience under your belt.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

i'm in the same boat.
I'm a junior in high school, i know i want to do something with cars for the rest of my life.

I was thinking about the same thing earlier today. I read about something like "Automotive Technology." I'm not too sure what this covers, but i'm going to start looking into it. If i don't get an auto or engi. degree, then i'm definetly going with Business.
Old 09-15-2005, 01:51 PM

Technical Schools are good. I took Mech Engineering while at NY Tech. Good school. Now I'm at another school taking Liberal Arts only bcuz my job is paying for it and won't pay if declare a major that doesn't satisfy them. Well I have to go to school, running late for bowling 101.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:53 PM

NSN you should check out PennTech, Im going there for Graphic Design I know it's not automotive but they do have a very very good automotive program. My friend also goes there for Avaition Matence. Here is a link to the webpage....Automotive There is a link to one of the Automotive classes...There are a few others but that one was the top one so I just chose that. Penntech also has alot of 240 owners there. So youll be right at home and ill pay you to help me fix my car when im up there. LOL
Old 09-15-2005, 06:18 PM

I'd stick to not doing something automotive unless you're just 100% passionate about it. If my hobby (working on cars) became my job, I'd get sick of it real quick.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Kinematics
I'd get sick of it real quick.
never gonna happen

s13det - with all the 240 owners that sounds like a good school! thanks for the advice and link, i gotta read into it a little more that school has a toyota specific program (hmm supra ) anyone know of a nissan program school?

Last edited by nsn240; 09-15-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:23 PM

Im bout to get my A.S. in Biology and Biotechnology, then go on to get my B.S. in both with concentration on genetic engineering, forensic studies, and other stuff...
Old 09-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

holy crap^ csi sh*t there.

My dad was talking to a bartender (sounds kinda bad) that's going to pitt for mechanical engineering. He really likes it, and might even work with a shop in exchange for his degree. Apparently pitt's teachers suck though
Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 PM

sort of like csi **** but not any of that bull you see on tv although i do kinda watch it.........well i hear their college is pretty decent overall tho, and carries a good name behind it(pitt)
Old 09-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

i'm majoring in auto body technology. I'm doing a 2 year degree but will return to do auto tech after. love it so far.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:05 AM

I'm a film major.

It has nothing to do with cars but i'm sure i can film my car a lot prettier than yall. ha.

as far as parts, testing, design and installation are concerned, they seem to be seperate studies.

My friend at CSUN just got his B.A. in mechanical engineering (i think.. or some engineering degree)... for graduation, he and a group of other engineering students had to make a cart out of scratch and race it. One of his professors actually builds aftermarket ECU's for motorcycles. crazy. His crew designed the cart, built it, tested and raced it in england. But he's having trouble looking for a job... go figure.. so he's getting his masters.

My other friend is at UTI and tells me its pretty much a big waste of time. It's obviously the total opposite of what my CSUN friend is learning. Instead of engineering theories and R&D, they go into automotive basics and how it all works. He says its stuff you can pick up at any part time mechanical job. But the great thing at UTI is that they help find a job.. or something liek that... because people are always hiring certified mechanics whether it's at a dealership or a hole in the wall shop.

My old art school offered auto design where they just draw cars and concepts all day long. I'm sure a lot of art schools offer that so if you were reffering to that kind of design.. then art school is for you.

So to recap, if you want to engineer and design your own parts.. go get your bachelor and even your masters in engineering. If you just want to fix cars, get your A.S.E (is that right?) certificate. If you want to draw cars all day long go to art school (art center pasadena i hear is excellent). What else is there?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:50 PM

you might want to consider going the mechanical engineering route. even if you arent the strongest in math youll start picking it up way before you flunk out because of it. im an electrical and once you learn a little calculus that about as hard as it ever gets. then of course get a certification to work on cars and then.. youre done for a while
Old 09-25-2005, 01:48 AM
Contributing Member

Im a business major, going for entrepreneurship/management with hopes of opening my own shop/track one day...
Old 09-30-2005, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Cape 240

I was thinking about the same thing earlier today. I read about something like "Automotive Technology." I'm not too sure what this covers, but i'm going to start looking into it. If i don't get an auto or engi. degree, then i'm definetly going with Business.
A piece of advice from someone that used to be in the same shoes as you. I too said the same thing. But, the mistake that I made was that I turned my hobby into my profession. Me and many friends as well. It's gets old man and you'll come to realize that you can make more money doing work that's not as hard. I wrenched for 5 yrs. Became an ASE and Toyota Master, invested over $20k in tools, then after five years, I said to myself, "Self, do you really want to do this for the rest of your life?" HELL NO! I went back to school and that was the best thing I ever did.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't regret anything as I still have all the abilities and knowledge (and tools) to pretty much do anything with a car. I save not only myself money, but family and friends (sometimes) as well.

Just my $.02.

Just my $.02.

Quick Reply: College Majors?