Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

gay marrage debate

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Contributing Member

gay marrage debate

i just wanted to add this to the gay marrage debate.

Most of the country is saying NO to gay marrage and YES to civil unions. The president got on TV and said NO to gay marrage and Yes to civil unions. The president defined "civil union" as a marrage but with another title; basically. Seperate but equal.

Isn't that what they said about segragation, "seperate but equal". in fact, the supreme court found that "seperate cannot be equal" in their supreme court decision ending segragation.

most ****ing marrages fail, isn't it over half? obviously the vows aren't taken too seriously, why not bend a little to include da **** yo
Old 04-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

I love your ending lol

just my 2 cents, I say the lesbians all want to get married and all the gay guys dont give a sht. Let them get married, let them live a horrible life(because marriage=hell, for the most part)
Old 04-02-2004, 05:52 AM

the % is more toward 80% get divorce.
Old 04-02-2004, 06:03 AM

i didn't want to get "married" to my husband because i'm not a person that is "religious"....so i tell ppl that we were unionized.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

i have TWO stances on this issue:

1. regardless of 'religious' issues, originally, marriage was supposed to be a binding contract and ultimate expression of love and commitment between a MAN and a WOMAN for life. this contractual agreement also laid down the foundations of building a family and procreating (which, NATURALLY, only a man/woman couple can do). not to mention, the whole family dynamic thing (i.e., how can a man teach his daughter about being a woman, not being one himself or vice versa with a mother/son?).

2. however, the institution of marriage hardly seems to carry any sanctity or gravity nowadays. what with rising divorce rates, the glorification of infidelity, novelty marriages (fame, money, game shows/reality shows; same thing), and quickie anullments, there doesn't seem to be any respect for this once great and symbolic gesture. so, in that respect, why not let men marry men, women marry women, men marry dogs, women marry sheep, etc...?

i'm torn on this issue, having been married before and it not working out. on the one hand, i think that in my personal situation, we were both too young. a prime example of case number 2, where it was more of an advanced phase of boyfriend/girlfriend than the true, "for better or for worse", putting each other above all others bond that it should have been. and often i have the "***k marriage" mentality because of the bad taste it left in my mouth. on the other hand, i still believe that two people can love and respect each other and be that way for life. i guess that it isn't for everybody...
Old 04-02-2004, 08:42 AM

nope, marriage is not for everybody.....my first marriage failed, and i did the typical "im never getting married again" thing....but never say never.

people are resistant to change, especially to something that has been around since man began. We are also looking at this issue through very "american" eyes. Other places in the world have their versions of marriage, that i am sure we would be disgusted about. If two people "love" each other and are willing to help each other thru life......what does it matter that they both have a ***** or a vagina?
Old 04-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

ehhh, i had a long, elaborate post ready, but what's the point? debates like these can continue infinitely with no clear winner. as long as each side is intent on back their views, no end will come and it will be a moot point. who cares? let em 'marry'. while ur at it, marry men/fish, women/lions, giraffes/mice, donkeys/birds, primates/squirrels...
Old 04-02-2004, 07:03 PM

I'm waiting until I'm out of school to marry, and I'm marrying a girl... most likely the girl I'm seeing right now. I love her. being a 'religious' person myself, I dont really think that gay marriages are right. but as long as they arent performed by the church, I really dont care.

I'm also waiting until I'm married to have sex. Mayhem said that marriage isnt taken very seriously anymore, and I agree completely. I also think that sex isnt either. for me, you get married you say your vows and you are bound to your husband or wife legally... then you get down and get it on, and that binds you physically.

but what do I know. the world is ****ed anyway