Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

I need some descriptions

Old 07-13-2005, 07:26 AM

I need some descriptions

I want to say upfrount that this is not an AE86 vs 240 thread. I have been in the market for one of these vehicles for awhile now. I love the classic 86 body style, and i've heard that the 4age is a very tough engine. Another plus is the fact that its rear wheel drive. I've always loved the way the 1991-1994 Nissan 240sx looked. And from reading alot on here, the ka24de is not a weak motor at all. Plus it is also rear wheel drive. I wanted to here some descriptions about these cars from the people who had the privilage of driving either one of them, or both of them. Please do not flame anybody, for this is an opinion based topic. And if the moderators need to, close down this thread at any time. All i wanted was a point of view on what these cars are all about.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

my friend has an 85 gts coupe, and an 86 gts hatch... and they are hella fun to drive, plus they rev to about 7200-7500.. they're fun cars, but they're old.. the interior is pretty plain, I don't really like the seats...they're becomming really rare, and more expensive for what they are... in good condition they can go for $2500-$4000 and it's a 20 year old car...

I feel in love with 240's the first time I drove one.. it was an 89 coupe.. they have much more torque than a lot of other cars.. i love the interior, it's really comforable...240's are somewhat rare, especially in good condition, but you get more out of your dollar IMO than an ae86.

It's weird how everyone wants the ae86 hatch, but people want the s13 coupe...
Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 AM

yea, isn't the ae86 coupe lighter than the hatch? newayz, i'm having trouble finding both of these automobiles in my area . I posted a thread in the wanted area, and i've only got an offer for a stripped down to the medal chassis. I've heard that the ae86 isn't what most ppl thought it was when they purchased it. Such as it wasn't "that fun to drive", the engine "didn't have alot of power at all" stuff like that. I guess alot of this is true, and some not. Any other ppl out there with any descriptions, please feel free to post up.

Thanks

Last edited by dj818; 07-15-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

If you do find a Carolloa Gt-S it will probly be rusted out. 240 just seems like a better bet.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

well, ae86's aren't fast by any means, but they have enough power to get it sideways when they're running good...I can't believe my friend ended up with two of them, both are in excellent condition and run great, with no rust... he doesn't even drive them anymore really...

Last edited by lrb_2000; 07-15-2005 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

The thing about the 86 is that not everyone can drift an 86. Like Mr. Tsuchia said in the drift bible, anyone can go out there and drift a Skyline or Silvia or Supra or a Soarer, etc. The fact is, the 86 is an underpowered car, therefore making it more difficult for the driver to drift. Ur techniques have to be more defined when drifting an 86... Best way to put it, the 86 will teach u how to be a GOOD drifter, not just a drifter, a GOOD drifter. lol

Now with the 240's (aka Silvias) depending on model, theyre a lil easier to drift. the S13 chassis is the most difficult to drift due to heavy understeering. Remedy, swap to a hydraulic e-brake and yank away. IMO, my e-brake drifting improved in my old S13 and my other 180sx.
The S14 and S15 both have wuts commonly known as neutral steering. We only have the pleasure of driving the S14 here in the US, but its still a good car. Its a real good car for beginners to learn drifting in, learn to get use to lateral G-force in this car, its very fun! Also with the 14 and 15, u get a more solid built chassis. When we striped down our next drift car (180sx) we looked at how the car was welded together from the factory... Honestly, we had to do major re-enforcement to the whole chassis inside and out, front to back. But its because we have to and we're dropping a 500hp RB motor into it...

Cant think of anything else rite now... My stomach is callin me to feed it something... Hope this info helped out!
Old 07-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

you have to remember... in japan they get the sr20det in there cars.. so that's a big plus for drifting.. we have the ka24de, so we're underpowered a lot too... i can get my friends ae86 sideways about as easy as I can do mine.. but his tires are pretty bald :P
Old 07-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

I've had both cars and now I'm sticking with my '95 240... for now anyway. The 86 is a great learner's car~ easy to work on, easy to drive, just hard to drive fast. Imo, the biggest issue you'll run into with the 86 will be finding one in good condition or fixing/keeping it in good condition. Clean ones are rare and not-so-clean ones will most definitely have rust. So unless you know how to do metal work, I'd advise against getting a less than clean 86. 240's are all going to be newer and lower upkeep (more easier to find parts) easier to drive, drive fast, but you'll probably learn more from the 86. I kinda tend to think the 86 is a bit more fun to drive because it's challengin and you can just throw the car around. i'll probably pick up another one when I have the money and space for it...
Old 07-19-2005, 09:46 AM

Thanks for all of these comments! If you think about it, the 240sx and 86 power to weight ratios are kind of the same. All though i don't know the exact weight and wheel horsepower to both cars, they do kind of seem pretty much the same. The 240 has a little bit more power and torque, but weighs more, but the 86 has less horsepower, yet weighs less.

If only the ka didn't have so many miles, i bet alot more people would be willing to build these motors up... I heard the ka was good for slow speed drifting, yet not high speed. Is it because of the low rpm it produces? I read that when drifters decide to go to the more high speed type of drifts, they go sr. The sr has alot more rpm's to play with, is this why they do this, or am i just a complete idiot and i don't konw what i'm talking about.

Well i hope this made some sense, and i'm not 100% sure if it is correct, so please correct it if necessary. And i also hope this doesn't start any flames... That is my look on both cars, and question abuot the ka.