Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

It's HERE! 1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 aka The New Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter

But yes, you do have a point, but so does my bank account . . . it's cheaper to go with a 4AGE 16v or 20v for the same money as that swap and probably make some pretty good power . . . ish LOL!

-Stig
No shame in that. It's like me working with KA's all the time trying to figure out how to make 5 more donkey punches...LOL
Old 11-19-2007, 08:46 PM

ls1

there i said it.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bumnah
ls1

there i said it.
damn, that was gonna be my secret . . . *sigh*

LOL!

-Stig
Old 11-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Contributing Member

this is all the TOyota Motors he has in stock, but if you ask nicely he can get whatever

Last edited by Biggamehit; 11-20-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumnah
ls1

there i said it.
Damn you beat me to it! I read the whole thread and was excited nobody said it unil the very end.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Contributing Member

LS7

there i said it.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:22 PM

USMC - do you not like 240's or someting?

and kyosho sucks, I had a nitro car that blew in less than 3 months
Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spade
USMC - do you not like 240's or someting?

and kyosho sucks, I had a nitro car that blew in less than 3 months
Kyosho does suck, but hey, the hat matches the car and it does represent one of my many hobbies . . .RC . . .most Tamiya hats I've seen are either Yellow, Purple or Blue . . .hmmmmm . . .I wouldn't mind a yellow one . . .

I'm not a 240 hater per se, however, I'm not a huge fan of them anymore . . .a little known secret about me is that I actually miss my S13 hatch, it was a decent car and I had a lot of fun in it I also purchased it before the Drift-Tax was included in the price of it so I got a great deal!!! 1200 bucks and I walked away with a very clean S13.

Now, the movement has just gotten too large and it's getting to the point where no matter what you buy, if it's Japanese and RWD people in the motorsports world think you're a drifter. I'm also not a big fan of how much they cost now, it's hard to find one for under 1000 even with no motor or transmission. I've also wanted one of these vehicles for a pretty good while, even before the whole "Initial D Craze" and I know that's hackneyed and most of the people who say it are lying through their eyeballs but I'm serious. I first saw an 86, well . . it was an 85, when I went out for my first "Night on the town" with my Corporal (Bettenhausen). We went over to Naha and he showed me the local racers and drifters.

Keep in mind this is when I still thought drifting was the stupidest thing to ever roll from under 4 tires.

I saw this car, which was blue with midnight pearl accents, and was taken aback. It was a 1985 Toyota Trueno with some mods that, thinking back, were actually pretty cool. It had the carbed motor, however, he had the Weber setup and a bunch of other stuff that would take me a LONG TIME to remember, HAHAHA! Anyhow, from then I really wanted to get my hands on one, but it's interesting how few of those cars there were in Okinawa. I'm willing to bet that there are less AE86s and AE85s in Okinawa (native not imported from mainland) than there are here in Georgia.

Anyway, long story short, I really liked it, wound up getting my first Skyline anyway (mostly because I was a huge fanboy of them and knew exactly what they were about) and the rest is history.

Here we are . . .almost 5 years later . . . and I'm officially an AE86 owner. I still can't believe it, I honestly can say that I smile every time I pull up to my drive way at night and every time I look at it in the morning on the way to work.

It really does make me feel happy to have it.

-Stig
Old 11-20-2007, 08:11 PM

I saw this car, which was blue with midnight pearl accents, and was taken aback. It was a 1985 Toyota Trueno with some mods that, thinking back, were actually pretty cool. It had the carbed motor, however, he had the Weber setup and a bunch of other stuff that would take me a LONG TIME to remember, HAHAHA! Anyhow, from then I really wanted to get my hands on one, but it's interesting how few of those cars there were in Okinawa. I'm willing to bet that there are less AE86s and AE85s in Okinawa (native not imported from mainland) than there are here in Georgia.

Anyway, long story short, I really liked it, wound up getting my first Skyline anyway (mostly because I was a huge fanboy of them and knew exactly what they were about) and the rest is history.

Here we are . . .almost 5 years later . . . and I'm officially an AE86 owner. I still can't believe it, I honestly can say that I smile every time I pull up to my drive way at night and every time I look at it in the morning on the way to work.

It really does make me feel happy to have it.

-Stig
I know how you feel man. It takes me back to the days when I was 18 years old helping out my friends with Rebello racing built 510's with the L16 block and L18 heads, sucking on 44mm dual mikuni carburation.... Rock that Shiat bro, because old school rides that people dreamed of is becoming a dying cause with all this modern technology.
Feel great to own an AE86 in the condition you have it in, just as 510's are a dime a dozen. A corrolla is just a rare.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:28 AM
Contributing Member

yeaup... i honestly will never own a car that older than 98.... and i dont even like most cars that new with obdII in all.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:06 AM

That's severely limiting the variety of choices of car and classes of competition you can run in. There's so much to experience in the driving world, especially now that you're in the SCCA!

The classes that become open once you start looking at all sorts of cars, both old and new, is phenomenal. American, European, Asian, it's really limitless. Whether it be FWD, RWD, AWD . . . .whether the engine's in the front, rear, middle or some strange mixture of the three, the possibilities that are available to you now will really blow your mind.

The main reason for doing this project is to see where racing can go as far as really pushing this car to and passed it's limit of normal acceptability for racing. I knew it was time to get this car when I heard people saying

"That car is too slow for time trials!"

Oh really, Batman!

We'll see . . . I'm no tuner and I'm definitely not a mechanic, but I AM a driver, 2 racing schools (3 if you count the various organized HPDEs), and seat time behind lots of high performance, extreme performance, econobox and lots of other types of vehicles. There's a limit to how far you can take a car with power and suspension, but there's no limit to how well you can drive it.

I dunno, I just think that the older cars definitely have their place in racing, which is why the "Classics", "Vintage", "80s" and "70s" categories were created. The same holds true with newer cars, each time a car is released on US Shores, it's immediately categorized by the sanctioning bodies of the SCCA and NASA and then cars within and around those categories are then adjusted as well as necessary.

I can go on for hours about how the categorization and classifications of the SCCA work in detail . . .but . . .that'd be digressing from the original point to be had and would take an exceptional amount of time.

All I'm saying is . . . think that one out before you say "I'll never own a track car that much older than 98" because the world of racing and motorsports has so much to offer that'd you'd be building your own brick wall by setting that stipulation up for yourself, especially this early in your motorsports career.

-Stig
Old 11-21-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Whether it be FWD, RWD, AWD . . . .whether the engine's in the front, rear, middle or some strange mixture of the three, the possibilities that are available to you now will really blow your mind.
At the SCCA autocross I went to last year there was a guy running a 70s Yugo with a Cadillac V8 in the front powering the front wheels and another Cadillac V8 in the rear powering the rear wheels. So I guess it would be FFMR.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:17 AM

AWESOME CAR.. it looks soooooo Clearn..

Id love one of these to DD, and play around with. I almost got an 85 hatch shell. But when i went back to buy it, the dude sold it already.

I am still keeping an eye out, I always find coupes, but i dont want a coupe.

Good luck with the car!!
Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Spitfire engine, there I said it
Old 11-21-2007, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH one word ****ed it up.. that was suppose to say newer dave you should have known that was an error. i drive an 89 remember

Quick Reply: It's HERE! 1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 aka The New Track Car