Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.
View Poll Results: Are "Park Bench" wings ok?
Hell yeah, slap that puppy on there!!!
12.50%
Um...No. Are you like 14 years old??
62.50%
Maybe, but depends all on the car/mounting style.
25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Park Bench Poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:47 AM

Park Bench Poll

So given the fact that the 240 is a RWD car, whats y'alls take on "Park Bench" wings on these cars? You know the type, the single/dual element aluminum wings you see on hondas and neons, ect. They seem more acceptable on the 240 but still kinda off if mounted weird. Lets hear your opinion.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM

no thank you
Old 12-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

do yourself a favor and don't get one. you'll be disappointed and have holes to fix on your trunk latter.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

hell no that **** is ricer as hell
Old 12-01-2008, 11:40 AM

and who says that wings on 240s looks good? it looks bad on any car, a clean trunk is just so . . .clean . .

-Dave
Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

hell yea
Name:  DSC_2170.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  147.9 KB
Old 12-01-2008, 11:51 AM
Contributing Member

imo some low sitting drag style wings are ok but a clean trunk is defiantly better.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
imo some low sitting drag style wings are ok but a clean trunk is defiantly better.
QFT

Just leave the trunk the way she is, a wing is seriously going to rice that car out . . .
Old 12-02-2008, 08:04 AM

See I asked becuase I plan on prototyping an old wing I had laying around to help finish off the tail of the car. No offense but the coupe looks like a mini maxima without anything back there and come to think of it, even the maxima we had came with somewhat of a spoiler. I understand the clean look but to me a car without anything back there just looks unfinshed in my opinion, even a factory spoiler can fix that. I do have to say that a lack of creativity and mounting too high are the hallmarks of a ricey install.

I promise my project won't be crap, though I know some people still won't like it. It will have none of this 8" stand-off crap or giant endplates. I have a nice clean center section and access to some amazing machine tools for this project. My plan is mount the thing LOW, less than 2-3 inches above the trunk lid. I will be making and annodizing my own mounts, so everything from the bottom of the element to the trunk lid will be one-of-a-kind and specially made for this project. (Can anyone say free A in machining class for making these? ) I also plan on creating my own endplates to help me mount the thing low. This will be cheaper than sourcing a stock spoiler and if it all goes to S***, then I haven't lost any cash and can get a stock spoiler for the rear afterwards (Not drilling holes in the lid until I am 100% satisfied with the look).

I know this post will ruin any rep I had on here but, to each his own on a project right? Each person has thier own taste, thats what makes the hobby unique.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:10 AM

Go down to your local park, jack a bench, and bolt it to your car.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by acfalconhawk
Go down to your local park, jack a bench, and bolt it to your car.
Good idea but that would be called "Theft".

Look at this from my point of view, it does no harm to mock this up. If it looks ricey it won't go on the car and I will use a stock spoiler (99% chance that this is the outcome). I lose virtually NO money doing this, at most $20 for getting the wing back (My god that's like no fast food for a week!), AND I get a FREE A in my machining class for making the mounts.

So it's like this, Do I just give in to peer pressure, slap a stock spoiler on the car and do the useless projects the school assigns, OR Do I have a little fun building something from scratch and get a free pass through what is sure to be a boring class?

The wing most likely won't even end up on the car at all. NO holes will be drilled to mount it unless I am 100% happy with the look. Its mainly to give me an excuse to do my own work in class and not some boring/useless project that was pulled from a drawer and thrown at me with a "Shut up and make this".

end of explination......

BTW I mean no offense with my comments, just trying to liven things up in here....
Old 12-03-2008, 01:51 PM

If it is a track car, canards, huge wings, defusers, etc are fine. If its not, then take that **** off. You don't need the down force and a huge wing doesn't make it look good either. Small wings are okay on a case by case basis.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:18 PM

Biggest problem for me is finding a damn stock spoiler to begin with. Ive checked most of the junkyars in my area....I'm lucky to find an S13 hatch striped to a shell, let alone a coupe with the stock spoiler. I will probably have to go to the dealer to get one, IF they can even order one.

I am truly supprised at the reaction on here to wings though calling it a "park bench" was kinda loading the question (did that on purpose ) Once I get everything mocked up, IF I like it (doubtful) Ill post pics. If I cant get it right, Hello eBay! Some honda kid will buy it for $100 bux, so I'll make $80 plus that free A.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:50 PM

im weird when it comes to wings. for some reason i like big wings, but not big metal wings. for example, the stock s14 kouki wing....love ittt. and the dodge daytona truck stock wing looks crazy
Name:  wing.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  21.1 KB

but im not into the metal wings. let the honda kids have that. heres an idea for you... fix your wing, get an A on it, then sell it to some civ-bomb driver. win-win

then buy my stock s14 wing. i dont like the stock wing on the s14s
Old 12-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Die Trying

heres an idea for you... fix your wing, get an A on it, then sell it to some civ-bomb driver. win-win
Kinda the plan. Its tough to get a metal wing to look right on ANY car. As before this is mainly a design exercise nothing more.

Originally Posted by Die Trying
then buy my stock s14 wing. i dont like the stock wing on the s14s
Zenki or Kouki? I MAY be interested but remember this is going on an S13

Quick Reply: Park Bench Poll