Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

S-Chassis.com Official Firearms Discussion Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

looks good, but you'd probably be better off getting a 3 position hustler if you plan on carrying a large frame pistol.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:06 PM

I feel you, at first, I was like, I should get a small pistol for carry, but I was at Gable Sporting Goods today and let me tell you, I feel like I'm going to break a small pistol. I held the Kel-Tec .380, the Beretta .22 and a Walther PPK (very nice weapon but pricey). Just felt odd, maybe it's because I'm prior military and law enforcement but it didn't feel right.

Jesus, I need to apologize for doubting you, my friend, the Taurus 24/7 is my new fantasy. I really am in love with it. I saw it for sale, 2nd hand, picked it up and held it. I had to remind myself that I have to buy an engine. It's so right. And it's a medium frame weapon so it doesn't feel too large. I think in my Mobility vs Firepower, I'm going to have to go down to med-frame at the smallest because of my hand-size. The handgun expert there told me that one can reference glove-size to pistol size. I won't carry my Hi-Point around very much due to its overwhelmingly large size and tank-like mass, but that Taurus . . .oh wow . . .it's so perfect. It's like a generic Glock and we all know how much I love my Glocks.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
It's like a generic Glock and we all know how much I love my Glocks.
and that's why i don't like the 24/7 pro. i like the beretta 92 clone taurus makes and their knock off s&w revolvers, but i just don't care for a glock knock off. i'm not saying it's not a good gun, i just don't like it.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 PM

I just like the simplicity of a Glock . . .not sure why. I just don't like those overly-safe guns, it's more that can break, more that can go wrong, and people who own guns with 3 and 4 safety systems tend to forget the 4 weapons safety rules.

Treat every gun as if it were loaded
Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire
Keep your weapon on safe until you intend to fire

If you forget those, you might as well carry a gun without any safety systems at all.

Glock is a simple safe-action system, and if I'm not mistaken, they're the originators of the safe-action category of hand gun. And talk about durability, drop em, immerse them, submerge them, dip in mud, shake in sand . . .always will fire.

Berettas . . .not so much . . .Berettas will stop firing if you've fired too many rounds without cleaning, LOL! I loved shooting Berettas because they're so accurate you can write the address of your target on the round and it'll hit it. But sneeze on them, and they FTF, Stove Pipe and lock up . . .for that much money, I don't want to worry about cleaning it after 300 rounds. I think it has to do with the style of the ejection chamber/port. Correct me if I'm wrong.

That said, they're VERY easy to break down. I think Beretta epitomizes the "field strip". They also are lighter weight than similar sized pistols from other manufacturers. And although their kick is "crisp" it's doesn't disable the shooter like a comparable weapon would.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

damn you guys turned me. i found a gunstore on the way home from work and they got the Concealed Weapon carry permit class im going to take it and buy the Kal-tech for a 24/7 gun and the Glock 21 for home protection and range use
Old 12-28-2009, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

good to hear, we need as many armed citizens as we can get. becuase of your size you'll probably want something no smaller than the p11. just an fyi, the dao (double action only) pistols take some getting use to so you'll want to get a few boxes of ammo to practice and get a feel for the long trigger pull.

also because of the nature of the smaller frame guns, don't expect it to be very accurate beyond 10 yards or so. some of the larger gun stores have an indoor shooting range and loan out their used guns. that might be something you would be interested in doing before you commit to any particular gun.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:24 PM

JRamos hit it right on the head with what I was gonna say about double action only weapons. I like guns that have the double action (gives you a bit of a safe-way when taking that first shot) but people, especially new shooters, tend to pull their shots because it's so long of a pull and most double-actions have a pretty heavy trigger pull. But you're a larger sized dude so that might not be too bad.

Just remember to shoot with the tip of your finger, not the middle and to squeeze like you would a stapler, don't pull the trigger. Starting with the pinky finger, slowly tighten your hand up, working up the other fingers until you reach the trigger. When the gun fires, it should surprise/scare you everytime. Once you put a few boxes of ammo down range like that and get used to hitting black, you can then start shooting a little faster. I always shot the slowest at the range, but I'd qualify the highest
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

troof... I score higher each time when I shot. Marksmen next time.

and shut the **** up stig... i have some long range practice now from Pre iraq training. Fun shooting **** that is 3 football fields away.... but thats with a .50
Old 12-29-2009, 03:59 PM

All I'm sayin, is 500 yards, open sights M16A2 . . .USMC OO-RAH!

AF doesn't do that . . .

ps

im so gay for you

Last edited by Biggamehit; 12-30-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

i went to the gunstore and scheduled a Concealed carry permit class for monday

also the owner showed me a Smith&Wesson 9mm Sigma i liked it alot and it had a good price but seems a little too big to be a 24/7 gun. i dunno im still researching on my 24/7 piece.

def got a good price for my glock 21 though $549 cant wait to get it
Old 12-29-2009, 05:43 PM

Jesus . . . check it and let me know what you think . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/SINGLE-SIDED-SHO...item27ae132054

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nylon-Gun-Holste...item3efb79258c

More about the prices, seems pretty good . . .then Amazon also has some very competitive pricing

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...int+45&x=0&y=0
Old 12-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Ya when i was goin to get my 1st handgun for Concealed carry i had a ton of ppl in my ear talkin this and that. Telling me i would have to spend a ton of money to get a good gun. I got the taurus pt 24/7 pro c ds .45 new at one of the many gun shows we have here and love it for the most part bein as small as it is the recoil can be a bit much but after goin to the range you get a good feel for all that.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:25 AM

That's it, it's all in personal preference. Some people say "You can't properly carry a large-frame or medium-framed pistol all the time." That's not true, if I was CID or NCIS when I was in the Marine Corps, I would have definitely carried my gun all the time, not just for personal protection but for the sheep-dog effect as well. You never know when it's gonna hit the fan, right?

It's all personal preference, some people prefer the solid kick of some weapons, me I prefer a slightly smoother recoil. Some people won't carry anything but small-frame weapons, I personally prefer a standard frame. It's just me though.

I also carry a Smith and Wesson ExtremeOps knife so I feel it makes up for the reduced mobility of the .45
Old 12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

f it ima buy the Kal-tec PF9 first cause its cheaper i might buy the glock at the gunshow on the 15th and 16th in Jan but the PF9 maybe on monday
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jaescrub
i had a ton of ppl in my ear talkin this and that. Telling me i would have to spend a ton of money to get a good gun.
it my belief that this steams from the idea that just because something is expensive it must be the best. i've once read someone equating cars to guns, s&w or any other big name gun was said to be the mercedes and hi point the hyundai of the gun world.

the problem is that in 2009 there was a surprisingly large number of complaints about mercedes vehicles needing to be taken in for repairs. not surprisingly honda came in with the fewest complaints, seconded by either nissan or toyota i don't remember. the point is that you don't always get what you pay for, at times with the right amount of research you'll find that you're actually getting the same quality product for a fraction of the cost of a similar product but without the prestige.

case and point, in 1991 a watch company by the name of invicta was bought out and began to make rolex knockoffs shortly there after. at the time they were being sold on the home shopping club for $29.99 ircc. i sure wish i had money back then becuase i would have bought one. that same watch now sells for up to 10x that.

also too often there are horrific stories of a guy, who knows a guy, who's long lost uncle had a taurus that was total garbage. yes taurus did have issues with their steel. that's been dealt with and is no longer an issue. it's up to us to spread the word that a taurus knock offs of a s&w or berreta can be just as good as the real deal. i say, "can" because any gun cam be great or terrible depending on how it's treated.

Quick Reply: S-Chassis.com Official Firearms Discussion Thread.