Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

tools ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 06:21 PM

tools ?

So i recently started my Auto classes & i want to buy a good tool set & car jacks etc etc, any links to good sites? or brand? help a n00b out
Old 08-27-2007, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

as far as hand tools go i recommend pittsburgh tools because they are cheap and fairly durable.http://http://www.harborfreight.com/
Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 PM

www.sears.com
craftsman is what i own primarily. craftsman professional if the tool is offered in that series

if it had $
www.snapon.com
Snap on Tools. Sexy beasts.

other good options

Mac tools
cornwell tools.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

for starting out there is nothing wrong with craftsman its cheap and pretty decent.

now when your pressed on time at work you need to rely on higher quality tools like Snap-on or Mac some use Matco but i never liked the Matco tool guy that comes to my job so i never bought from him.

now i usually only buy Snap-on or Mac for work but it is expensive my box alone was $5,200 lol and its not big from snap-on my friend has the Snap-On tool wagon it cost him $13,500 lol(NO TOOLS INCLUDED)

anyway for now stick with craftsman they are perfect for you right now.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:48 PM

anything in specific?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:51 PM

anything like sizes? thing is i wanna be able to work on my car 24/7 so i need jack-stands etc etc so i wanna hear it from guys who xperienced already and know what tools to use to spit it up
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM

I got some Husky stuff from Home Depot lol, pretty cheap, warrantied, not too baller though. Just get a wide range of metric socket sizes. I have cheap-o harbor freight jack stands, cheap and do their job.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:02 PM

yeah well i just wanna have a good toll set & good stands to be able to work on my car w/ out being like WTF????
Old 08-27-2007, 08:03 PM
Contributing Member

honestly bro.. i got tools as needed now i have every thing i need .. you need for what you are working on.. if you are doing domestic, you need standard if imports Metric...

its hard to say what you will need. as you go through the class. you will progress with tools.. its no point in buying a piston ring compressor if your not rebuilding a motor anytime soon...

but you can start with your basics

1/4th
3/8th
1/2in
ratchet set with sockets ranging from 6mm up to 32mm

12 and 6 point wrench set from 6mm up 29mm

crescent wrench

3/8th 1/2in breaker bar

vise grips

Phillips and flat head driver set

pry bar set....

........... man its just so much

Last edited by Biggamehit; 08-27-2007 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM

^^ lol well idk i just wanted a idea on what i need it.
i can always use the schools shp & tools =]
well for now im worried about my mom getting a new house w/ a big patio so i can have some work space. have like my own little world back there.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

and most bolts on a nissan are 8mm,10mm,12mm,14mm,17mm,19mm,21mm, P/s pully is 24mm and crank shaft pully is 27mm socket there might be some odd ball sizes here and there but those are mostly it for the 240sx and most nissans lol
Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 PM

thanks guys. anyone know a site or were i could go & get started on them? i told my step dad that for my Bday he better get me a set lol
Old 08-27-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

sears has different sets of tools from crafts man you might want to buy tools from a store because they are so heavy and shipping will be expensive. different sets they go from a very small set thats cheap to like a giant set that has every tool you need for like $1200
Old 08-27-2007, 08:33 PM

well im looking to buyin like 200pc set tools and sh*t...then car jacks etc etc
Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM

The craftsman metric set has pretty much everything you need... 1/2" drive ratchet with sockets from 10mm to 28mm, all of the sockets are laser etched so they're easy to read... it also comes with a 3" and 6" extender and spark plug sockets. I have that set and also the same set (pretty much) in 3/8" drive for smaller spots... the 3/8" set comes with an 8mm socket, too. Those Craftsman sets will run you around $75 a set and are lifetime warrantied, available at Sears. As far as open ended wrenches go, I got a set of pretty nice ones from Pep Boys for $21. The set came with metric sizes from 10mm to 20mm and also standard sizes in a comparable range.

One thing you will need for a 240 is a 24mm open ended wrench if you're intending on doing header work. You need it to remove the EGR valve from the header.

As far as jackstands go, go to Wal Mart.. they sell a Red Rider (or something) set for like $45... comes with two jackstands and a hydraulic jack. You definitely want a hydraulic jack... using a spare tire jack to lift a car SUCKS.

Down the road, you'll get into more and more elaborate tools. I definitely recommend Craftsman, because of the warranty. It's no questions asked, which means if you break a ratchet because you used a breaker bar on something that really needed an impact (IE you use the tool incorrectly), they will still honor the warranty. I've used them for years and have used and abused them.. left them in rain, run them over with trucks.. they definitely stand up to abuse.

I wouldn't ship tools.. they're heavy as hell.. that sucks. Go to Sears and go nuts. They're pricier than what you would find elsewhere, but worth it..

I also found the coolest gadget EVER at Pep Boys the other day... It's a 225lb impact driver that hooks up to your cigarette lighter. It's light, and the cord is so small that it might as well be cordless, but it only costs $49.99... it's really cool, and makes suspension work a SNAP. It's a 1/2" drive, so all my craftsman sockets fit on it.

I would also invest in a small air compressor, if you really wanna get started. There's a variety of tools, from impacts to spray guns, that will utilize an air compressor.

And definitely get a good toolbox or toolchest. It's worth it. You spend a lot of money on tools.. you don't want them getting all dirty and nasty!

Quick Reply: tools ?