Off-Topic Anything Non-Related to the above topics.

What did you buy today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

after 3 months of looking for the gun i really wanted and not finding it, i had to settle for this one.

Christmas is coming up so i'd like to get one more gun before the year is over. i'm considering a romanian ak47 and calling it quits for now. sometime in the future i'd like to get an ar15 but they cost more than i'm will to pay right now.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Definitely not a fan of Taurus, but they get the job done.
I'm carrying my Beretta again! Sold the Browning.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:21 PM

Gotta go with Sig Sauer...they shoot and feel beautifully!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by JapanS15
Gotta go with Sig Sauer...they shoot and feel beautifully!

Yeah but you pay for that . . .Sig Sauers were so expensive that the USMC only issued them on special occasions and even those weapons were on contract consignment and were returned after a certain given length. I believe 2 years? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They are good weapons with very little recoil and very accurate. They're also pretty darn durable . . .they do jam, but you have to make them jam. The only hand gun the good ol Marine Corps ever let me fire that wouldn't jam was a Glock. You can attempt to make those jam, and they won't. You pay for THAT as well. They're expensive and unless you go with Advanced Compensation, they're not very accurate (contrary to popular belief)

-Dave
Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 PM

I paid $500 something for my Sig Pro P2022 .40 S&W. I always had a good group when shooting in a range at targets.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:33 PM

New?

Even used, that's a fantastic deal. I've seen Sig 9 mikes go for more than that, used. So yeah, you got a great deal, LOL! I fired a Sig P229 in .357 and was able to group 6 inches at 25 yards. Yeah, that's how Marines do, 25 yards. . . with a pistol. This ain't the Chair Force, LOL!

To put that into perspective, the Glock 9mm was an 8 inch group and my issued Beretta, which is among the most accurate hand guns I've ever fired, grouped 5.

That's 10-15 rounds depending on the weapon.

Although . . .for stopping power . . .I'll take a Glock, they just feel like they'd drop and Elk at 15.

-Dave
Old 09-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member

i have a friend with a glock 19 i belive it is, he says it will jam from time to time. but that's like once every 1000 rounds or so. the reason i don't care for the glocks is becuase i just don't like the look so i'm not willing to spend the extra money. if i ever did spend more that a few hundred dollars for a hand gun though, it would be for a kimber 1911 with laser grips. although i like the taurus 1911 has cought my attention.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Two words on the 1911 . . . .Springfield Armory
Old 09-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Contributing Member

stopping power, what's your interpretation of the term dave?
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by USMCDrifter
Two words on the 1911 . . . .Springfield Armory
there's a Springfield 1911 at a local dealer that sells for almost the same price of the taurus. it's on my list of guns to one day own too.

Last edited by jramosthe1st!; 09-24-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
stopping power, what's your interpretation of the term dave?
A weapon that doesn't require an FTS Drill . . .
Old 09-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Colt 1911!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

i see, too often i read of the term when it's being used to down play the power of anything other than a .45 caliber fire arm or greater. imo, it's not what you fire but how accurate you can repeatedly fire it. i can accurately fire all 7 rounds of my kel tec 9mm in a matter of 3 seconds or so. the recoil is mild so it's easy to control. i wounder how many .45 cal or greater owners can claim the same. there's not much stopping power behind a bullet that can't hit it's target in time.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

yea but you would only need to hit once is the point
Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by jramosthe1st!
i see, too often i read of the term when it's being used to down play the power of anything other than a .45 caliber fire arm or greater. imo, it's not what you fire but how accurate you can repeatedly fire it. i can accurately fire all 7 rounds of my kel tec 9mm in a matter of 3 seconds or so. the recoil is mild so it's easy to control. i wounder how many .45 cal or greater owners can claim the same. there's not much stopping power behind a bullet that can't hit it's target in time.
Very true, but, you're thinking in civilian terms.

In law enforcement/military terms, you're talking about the force applied by a round towards stopping your aggressor with the least amount of rounds fired. Yes, a Beretta is an accurate smooth firing weapon.

But if you're caught off guard by a machete wielding, PCP enraged man the size of Biggamehit, it's not going to do much if by the time he's in range all you can do is pump 3 rounds into his abdomen. Yeah, it'll kill him, but not before he kills you.

Civilians tend to think, drop him, he's dead, it's done. In the world where you're professionally trained to use your weapon as a last resort (Deadly Force is ONLY to be used as a last resort not only in the military but in local and federal law enforcement as well), things are different.

If the aforementioned bloke is coming at me, I'm going to OC him, if that doesn't stop him, the ASP is coming out. There are 3 points of attack that aren't considered deadly force with an ASP. If the ASP fails, even after targeting the areas that ARE deadly force, then it's time for my side arm.

In all of these instances, through all of these trials. I'm still not going to run an FTS drill unless it's necessary. What prevents an FTS drill from being necessary? Stopping power. If I pull my Beretta (which is common place for NCO and non-NCO alike) then most likely, if Biggamehit is machete and PCP induced, I'm gonna have to pop 2 to the torso and one to the head. If I reach down and my side arm is .45, .40, .44, .440, .357 or somewhere in that ball park . . .he's going down, no matter where I shoot him, no matter how many times I shoot him.

Stopping power as proven in the field . . .

Quick Reply: What did you buy today?