a few questions about a swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 06:04 PM

a few questions about a swap

i want to swap either a rb20 or maybe 25det and i was wondering how reliable are these as a daily driver, also how hard is it to get parts if it dose break will i have to wait for them to come on a boat from japan? also how hard is the swap, i have all the tools plus, welder etc. im only 16 but ive been around motors all my life and this wouldnt be the first one i took out. and i have pops to help me out

also would these motors be good for a drag and maybe casual drift?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

search search search search cmon man SEARCH, ALL this info is here.

Any motor will be reliable as long as it's maintained and properly modified. Remember, it powered a car from the dealership. I dont understand why people think these motors are such turds compared to anything else.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Contributing Member

just put a B18 in it..**** makes alot of high end power..good for drifting and drag

or maybe search...
Old 03-03-2008, 09:49 PM

i do have a b18 in my crx, i could do that...
yeah i already read that sticky thread but i was hoping for someone that already finnished it how hard it was and how much more money did it cost, i read that they are way more expensive over the sr20 (DUH)
Old 03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, why is it that we are getting an influx of these questions? It has been a good 5 years since we last had this problem with people not searching.

Search, there are hundreds of threads from people who have done this already. And if you're expecting us to take you by the hand and walk you through it, just buy the how to DVD from drifting.com. No one here will do it since we've covered the basics of the swap thousands of times.

And read more than the sticky threads, your questions might not be answered there, but more than likely have been covered in another thread. And in reading your questions again, you have minimal knowledge about those motors, so I would suggest using google and doing some research on the motors themselves before you even think about the actual swap and yes, we've covered the topic about the motors in particular down to the T. Just search.

Ry, is Raine's original sticky thread about telling people to search first still up? I dont know why we're getting so many of these in recent weeks again.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 PM

i did look through threads. but non of them told me about how hard it is, i know there is alot of work to go into a rb other than the sr i was just wondering by how much and if it would even be worth it. i read people pay up to 6g for thw whole swap, right now im looking into a vq35de swap but that may be even more complicating
right now i think ill just stick to the sr swap im still young and have alot to learn and better in a smaller motor for the time being, when i get older ill tackle something harder
Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 PM
Contributing Member

I'm 100% sure that all the veterans here would agree with me and that you should learn about the car with the KA in there first. Learn to maintain that motor and understand the dynamics of your car overall.

Have you even thought about the other essentials of building a car? Suspension and brakes should be your priority if you want to build even a decent car. It is the foundation in which all true tuners begin building. So yeah, my recommendation would be for you to not do a motor swap, spend the money on other things first. Get the suspension and brakes down first, you can build a 500 hp SR, but it aint worth a damn if you cant stop or even take corners correctly.

Last edited by NiSmO Knight; 03-13-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:30 PM

yeah i here you
i do have a fetish for turbo's though thats the reason
regardless though i will be saving the motor swap til the winter, and use one of my other cars as a dd and sell the other 2 and then put money in it.
ill probly get rims fisrt and maybe breaks nad exhaust intake stuff like that just to keep me proud, not that i wouldnt be if i had one. but nothing major til winter i need to save up for that to. im just trying to research right now until winter so i kidna have an idea.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Contributing Member

buy my car...end...i win
Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Contributing Member

Brakes and suspension should be the top two things to do first, rims and exhaust can come later. Heck, the exhaust can be purchased while you build your next motor. and you dont want to waste money on an intake and other stuff that become useless when you swap over with a new motor. Just save that cash for that motor project. But the universal parts should be done first. Again, brakes and suspension should be invested into when you start working on ANY car.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 PM

i guess i can consider it, nice to have a good handling car i agree
and you seem pretty serious about it so ill give it tons of thought now, anyways i was gonna wait til next year to do suspension and stuff but what the heck.
i was thinking about tien basic coilovers maybe some poly bushings and sway bar not sure yet still in the air, ill admit suspension was on the last on my list of to do.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member

You need the suspension to handle on the track (and on the streets) and be able to handle delivering power to the wheels properly. Brakes are a no brainer, if your brakes can only stop so much, how is it going to hold up when you drop in a well built motor?

Get some tract time with the stock set up for one season, then slowly move up to coil overs (if needed, and if you do a swap, coils are usually needed for obvious reasons) and pick up some 300zx calipers for the front, or pick up R32 GTR calipers for the front. 300zx calipers are more than enough for an SR application, RB you may want to have the R32's.

But I would say, slow down on the motor part. build the foundation first, then gradually move on up.

My current car has basically what I bought it with, Apexi coils, R32 GTR calipers... thats all, no LSD diff either... and I've had her for well over 2 years now. My next task would be strut tower bars and front under brace, poly pushings etc. and while doing this, I'm slowly building up cash flow for my motor swap.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

those teins are garbage dude

and i went power first...thats why my car sucks...and looks like a monster truck
Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 AM

Stay away from the tein basics. But yeah, echoing what everyone else is saying, suspension + brakes. We've got stickies for those too! New bushings are a smart move, considering 240's can be close to 20 years old.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM

okay any ideas on a decent coilovers that work good on the streets but would work good on a track if i can find one.
are electric dampening shocks any good?

Quick Reply: a few questions about a swap