Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

classes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:32 PM

classes?

does anybody run their 240 in SCCA and if you do what class do you run? im interested in starting but im not sure what i want to run and what i would be competative in. i have a 92 hatch that is a shell right now and im wondering what direction i should go with it. thanks
Old 04-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

more info is needed... are you planning on putting all the interior back in etc etc.... I need your entire plan outline so that i can tell you what class..

for you own reading.. visit scca.org for pdf rule books and classes...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Club240 Staff

Yeah, there are many classes to run in depending on how serious you are, your budget, and how seriously moded your car will be. There are also some NASA classes you could run in I believe. NASA is a little bit more laid back than SCCA, and if you dont already have it, much easier to get your license.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

yea i need to renew my scca license...stig said they are about to up the registration price and change the process.... i guess to weed people out... not sure completely.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

i run in scca in sport modified, i think for a factory 240sx it will be g-stock. you can go really mild for sts or stx or into some of the really competitive tire classes
Old 04-29-2008, 03:39 PM

It all depends on your direction, if you're looking for room to "build" your competitive edge within the limitations of your machine (i.e. focus on driver skill vs driver skill) then you are going to want to stick with the less preparative classes (Stock, STS, STX, STU) if you're looking for the competitive edge to come from where you know how to bend the rules, then I would say lean more towards the upper echelons of racing (Prepared, Modified, SM, SP)

It's really up to you. Your first guise is to find out what class you fit into using Appendix A of your SCCA Solo Competition Rule Book for 2008. Secondly, you're going to want to find which class appeals to you, personally my Mustang runs STX (formerly STS) and my Miata runs D-Prepared. Lastly, you need to build towards your goal of racing in that class. This usually means checking with more seasoned racers to see what they've done and how they can help. If all else fails, your local SEB is usually more than ready to lend a helping hand in getting you situated.

In either scenario, you're going to want to build driver skill more than anything, you can dump all of the money in the world into your car but it won't make you fast. There's a saying in Solo: "This ain't drag racing, money don't cut it!" There are guys that run circles around me with stock Miatas simply because they have more experience and a higher aptitude towards driving. It's developmental not inherent, you have to get out there first before you can know what you want to do.

As was mentioned, let us know what you're looking to do with your car before continuing forward, you first need direction, without it you're going to waste a lot of money.

-Stig