Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

is ground control suspension worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 01:49 PM

is ground control suspension worth it?

i heard about ground control suspension and it sounds pretty cool, the problem is that i couldnt find out the springs rates, how stiff could one go with GC? any info...?
Old 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM

They are just springs and perches and you have to run like kybs or struts, go with a set of full coil over, kts, hks, greddy, stance, ect.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:14 PM

I believe you can get custom spring rates with ground control. Pair them with something like Koni Yellows and you'll have a nice setup.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:49 AM
Club240 Staff

Ground control is all in how you use it. They have many different options and totally custom on rates. Pair it with a nice damper like the koni yellow mentioned above and you have a make it yourself coilover it. For my first modified car, I had an old prelude back when there were no available coilovers. I got a set of koni yellows and custom ground controls. The sleeve fit tight around the strut body making it look no different than a coilover package. The handling for exceeded other setups I used on that car. The downside is because they are not made for each other, he stroke, vs spring length is not right and really needed a helper spring. When I went of rises, the spring would go loose and jingle around.

So they are not bad, but really best used on cars that have no package options available. I do however like the idea of koni yellows and some nice standard springs though a little more for this car. The koni's have something like a 4 position adjustable perch on them, so you can adjust height with them even on a fixed spring
Old 11-16-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

Kind of pointless unless the price savings is substantial.
You can get a Full True coilover set-up for a reasonable price.
I think its much more worth it
Old 11-18-2007, 05:04 PM

The koni's have something like a 4 position adjustable perch on them, so you can adjust height with them even on a fixed spring

they do ? i have them on my car an i never new they had that . i love them koni yellows are a nice set up . for a d/d
Old 11-19-2007, 06:56 AM

From what I gather the Koni's can be rebuilt for whatever spring rate you want, and will end up having a much better damping rate than off the shelf coilovers that dont offer bound/rebound adjustability. With that said I have Stance on my car, and Im happy... but the thought has crossed my mind to eventually do a GC/koni setup.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:00 AM
Club240 Staff

That is a good point. If you want coilovers that can be revalved for custom spring rates, you need to go with JIC A2s, KWs, or higher. Many coilovers offer a selection of spring rates, but fail to match the damper with the new rate. Mismatching damper valving with spring rates is a sure way to get crappy handling.