Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.
View Poll Results: better motor for novice drifter/road racer
sr20det
60.00%
rb20det
0%
rb25det
40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

motors ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 05:07 PM

motors ?

what would be the best motor fro drifting/road racing events ? i am looking at the rb b/c my friends company is sponsoring me and he thinks we can pull off the swap. but would an sr be a better engine for these situations. keep in mind the only mods will be intake, and exhaust until i can afford a turbo upgrade.
Old 11-27-2003, 05:45 PM

If you're going for road racing, I think SR is better 'coz you don't have to deal with the extra pounds RB will bring you. And the balance of the car is better. Of course, if you plan to take out A/C, power steering, move the battery, etc. Then it's ok.

But when you go for RB, I've heard it's better you get RB25 since you'll get more c.c. without getting much more weight compare to RB20.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

How bout the KA? The KA does have some possibilitys(SP?) But if you really wanna get rid of the KA then probably go for the SR..a lil better weight dist. for drifting and that sort of motorsports
Old 11-27-2003, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

if ur not planning on doing any weight reduction or relocation mods, the SR20DET would be the obvious choice (although JynX presents an interesting possibility w/the turbo'd KA). if u are gonna do some weight shifting and whatnot, the RB25DET is the hands down choice. but don't forget the mckinney motorsports or UH motor mounts to get that bad boy lower and farther back toward the firewall.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:34 PM

ka vs sr vs rb series... how many more times will this question come up...
Old 11-27-2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Jonas
As long as the S chasis and the engines are still available...
Old 11-27-2003, 07:26 PM

well i got a price on an rb25 earlier from a guy who specializes in nissan performance. his name is travis and owns forced induction racing. thanks to him he was the one to make a 427 hp turbo spec-v. his price was a running rb25det shipped to his retailer in cali and then shipped to him for pick up. motor is 2g's and shipping is 250 from cali to new orleans. he is also going to get me the mckinney mounts and tein springs. i can pick up a battery relocator kit for 60 from jeg's or summit.

how well off would i be with a stock rb25det, tein springs, mckinney mounts, cusco front and rear sway bars, 300zx lsd diff., apexi n1 duals if they'll work with an rb swap, cai, and battery relocation. also this will be a daily driven car so it will probably stay this way. i figure if i can get it to 300 crank hp ill be happy, and be able to demolish most imports that are street driven in south la.

Last edited by camrytrd93; 11-27-2003 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jonas
as long as new people come haha Its a never ending question, just like what 240 is the best to swap into
Old 11-28-2003, 02:48 AM
Contributing Member

My question is how much drift/road race skills behind the wheel do you have? I only ask this because I've talked to a lot of people who buy cars, get everything they (or their parents) can afford, bolt it in (well, get it installed LOL) and they think they're ready to race head to head with Nobuteru Taniguchi.

Don't get offended by my question... but if you have no track experience and you're about to "get sponsored" then I'd say work the hell out of the KA before you upgrade to a different engine. If you do have exp, then I personally would go for the SR... since it came factory in S14's there so much more available for it that fits without having to modify anything chassis-wise, if you know what I mean.

good luck with your drift/racing
Old 11-28-2003, 12:28 PM

i truly have no experience. i go play around late at night and take my car as far as i can before i get scared. thats pretty far considering i drive with steel *****. the problem with keepin the stock ka is it sucked water and i don't want to hassle with rebuilding it. but the car will also be taken to the drag track on occasions. same thing with drifting/scca events, on occasion. i have a joba and i work weekends as well as during the week. so im not sure how many i'll be able to go to. but with the setup i plan - how well off would i be with a stock rb25det, tein springs, mckinney mounts, cusco front and rear sway bars, 300zx lsd diff., apexi n1 duals if they'll work with an rb swap, cai, and battery relocation. also this will be a daily driven car so it will probably stay this way. i figure if i can get it to 300 crank hp ill be happy, and be able to demolish most imports that are street driven in south la.
- how would this do for a daily driven car that'll be taken to the track once in a while? and the sponsor is a friend of mine. his business is customizing cars. the agreement we made was that i get anything i want at his cost. he gets to drive my car at the track once, and autox once with it. i also have to put his decal on my car and go to x amount of shows a year. nothing is coming out of his pocket. ill be paying for paint,seats,wheels,tires. he'll only be painting the car and helping me install whatever i buy. but he keeps pushing for an rb swap.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by camrytrd93
i truly have no experience. i go play around late at night and take my car as far as i can before i get scared. thats pretty far considering i drive with steel *****. the problem with keepin the stock ka is it sucked water and i don't want to hassle with rebuilding it. but the car will also be taken to the drag track on occasions. same thing with drifting/scca events, on occasion. i have a joba and i work weekends as well as during the week. so im not sure how many i'll be able to go to. but with the setup i plan - how well off would i be with a stock rb25det, tein springs, mckinney mounts, cusco front and rear sway bars, 300zx lsd diff., apexi n1 duals if they'll work with an rb swap, cai, and battery relocation. also this will be a daily driven car so it will probably stay this way. i figure if i can get it to 300 crank hp ill be happy, and be able to demolish most imports that are street driven in south la.
- how would this do for a daily driven car that'll be taken to the track once in a while? and the sponsor is a friend of mine. his business is customizing cars. the agreement we made was that i get anything i want at his cost. he gets to drive my car at the track once, and autox once with it. i also have to put his decal on my car and go to x amount of shows a year. nothing is coming out of his pocket. ill be paying for paint,seats,wheels,tires. he'll only be painting the car and helping me install whatever i buy. but he keeps pushing for an rb swap.
I dont think you will be seeing that much with those upgrades, up the boost and you will. It would be a great choice for a daily driven car and a track car on the side. RBs are great engines, but a lil costier then the others and a lil heavier.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:43 PM

thats not the power i expect. i know i will have to upgrade the turbo, get a boost controller/turbo timer, and also get a management system such as a haltech.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

If you wanna go hardcore, and got the ability to go standalone then go ahead. For 300-350HP you dont need a standalone...just a upgraded ECU
Old 11-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by camrytrd93
but with the setup i plan - how well off would i be with a stock rb25det, tein springs, mckinney mounts, cusco front and rear sway bars, 300zx lsd diff., apexi n1 duals if they'll work with an rb swap, cai, and battery relocation.
Other than the weight issue the RB is a nice engine. Tein springs are a tad stiff for daily driving (personal opinion here), never seen any complaints about the Mckinney mounts or the Cusco parts. As for the N1 duals, I'm betting that you'll need custom piping no matter what.

However, if your sponsor guy is gonna front the $$, why go with a 300ZX LSD? Might as well get a Kaaz or Cusco since you're not, uh, paying for it. And forget Tein springs - go for the gold and get a set of Flex's. Upgraded springs with stock shocks = er.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

here is the the thing with the suspention mods you listed you will get walked all over by cars with a fraction of the hp. mabey you should rethink what you are doing. as for a motor why not turbo the KA with a full build on it. and Tein is overrated you will need somethign much better than the flex for road racing, look in to some zeal or silk road.

Last edited by Catharsis; 11-28-2003 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Reply: motors ?