Road Race/AutoX If you like road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

My first AutoX (Bellingham, WA) Placed 2nd with stock suspension!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 01:28 AM

My first AutoX (Bellingham, WA) Placed 2nd with stock suspension!!

Hey all!

I just went to my first AutoX event this past weekend. It was awsome!!! It was put on by http://www.chuckanutscc.org/ which is located in Bellingham, WA.

Anyways, they had an annual AutoX School on Saturday which consisted of some drills (Traction circle, Slalom, Launch and Braking) and a 2/3 course run in the afternoon with experienced instructors. They were really helpful with tips and things.
Sunday was the competition. The school was the biggest they had, with 39 drivers, and the comp was the second biggest ever with 69 drivers. I managed to come away with 2nd best time of the day in the Novice class. Novice was any car with a driver that was in the first year of AutoXing in the club. You can see my results by going to their website and clicking the link on the left. I'm the only 240. Only about 1.3sec off a 98 Impreza 2.5RS which I'm pretty sure was boosting.
My car is stock engine and suspension (except the Nismo Power Brace which I haven't felt a difference) and the only performance mod is my 2way Kaaz LSD which helps.
So yea, I met a lot of cool people, learned a lot, and came away with 2nd out of 30 drivers! I'm gonna have to go again next month! I should have some pics up in a couple days.
There is a vid (62MB) at http://www.adrianpike.com/Autocross.mov
but I'm only in it for about 20sec around the 8min mark. Hopefully I'll get some more footage later.

Well, that was quite a rant, but I just wanted to let you guys know. If you have a chance to autocross, do it!! It's awsome!
Old 04-21-2004, 01:52 AM

cool video. congrats on placing 2nd.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:53 AM

Thanks. If anyone needs convincing that any car can do it, just look at the metro
Old 04-21-2004, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Awesome! I love AutoX...still have yet to go to one in my new car. Congrats on 2nd place
Old 04-21-2004, 11:44 PM

Thanks HyJynX,

What's your new car? I remember you had to ditch the project, but I didn't hear what you have now. I can't believe I've waited this long to get into AutoX. It was more fun than I could have imagined!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

94 Miata, they rock on the AutoX so I cant wait. Gatta replace my rotors/pads and rear tires and Im set for the canyons/AutoX
Old 04-22-2004, 12:41 AM

miata's are awsome for autoX! There were quite a few there and lookin fast too. Very forgiving car is what I heard. I was wonderin, do all of them come with a stock LSD?
Old 04-22-2004, 12:42 AM
Contributing Member

Not all...from what I know of the model Bs and above have LSD stock. Sadly mine is a modelA so I dont...but i plan on getting a CLutch type LSD later on down the road. And Miatas are awesome for the AutoX
Old 04-22-2004, 12:48 AM

I just realized I coulda looked under your name on the left to see what car you had now

Oh well, clutch type will do better for ya too. I think I need to get some suspension for my 240 now though. It was bottoming out on almost every transition and the organizers asked me a couple times what the "clunking" noise was. I guess it was pretty loud!
Old 04-22-2004, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member

lol thats stock suspension for yasome nice springs and shocks will do ya good. Im off to bed bro, cya
Old 04-22-2004, 02:07 AM

see ya!
Yea, I'm thinkin I'll try to sell my backup car (83 civic) for a few hundred and get a set of Teins with that money... Not sure yet, but I don't wanna go cheap with the suspension. Need to keep up the great balance of the 240.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:19 PM

I'm not sure if I should post these pics here or in Members rides, but I'll put some here.

All lined up for morning tech inspection

Lined up for the run on the course (practice day)

This bone stock Metro Convertable proves you can bring anything and have a good time!

Some type of Austin Healy or something. Lightweight and good handling! Also, Celica All Track Turbo in background

This is the Aston Healy that won the event

Last edited by focalguy; 08-17-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:11 AM

Ok, some of me in action.....

I know: Suspension is needed......

Entering Slalom

I know how some of you feel about Honda, but I liked the suspension setup on this FWD.

Nice Supra, but the guy wasn't racing (this car at least).
Old 04-23-2004, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

Looks like it was a great event. The aston healy owned im sure lol
Old 04-23-2004, 08:49 PM

yea, the Austin Healy had like a 51second time, and mine was in the 58s.... I was watching him drive and he barely had to lift off on one of the corners where most braked hard. Pretty sweet.....

Quick Reply: My first AutoX (Bellingham, WA) Placed 2nd with stock suspension!!