S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Hello, Need a question answered

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:15 PM

Hello, Need a question answered

hi. I might be buying my first car tomorrow, and its a 240sx. All for $300, 5spd manual. The body is great, but theres one problem. The Block is cracked. Now, i know thats a big problem, and the engine probably wont last to long, but a friend of his works at the junk yard, and they have a block there that I can buy for about $150. Now my question is, how hard is it to do this myself. Meaning, changing the blocks?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

you have to pull the engine out completely switch everything to the new one and put it back on i make it sound easier than it is its gonna be pretty hard depending on how much mechanic experiance you have
Old 04-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

not hard at all get a manual for it and follow the steps.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:21 PM

Wouldn't it make more sense to take the block out the junkers engine, and put it in my engine. I am only getting the block form the junk car. Not the whole engine.

Also where can I get a manual. One of those car manuals, that have all the diy things for a specific car?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

As SR91240 said, it's going to depend on your level of mechanical experience. The easiest thing to do is to get an entirely new engine, label all lines, clips, hoses, etc. that go into the engine, get an engine hoist, pull the old engine out, and put a newer, better functioning engine in, and it's just a matter of plugging everything in, then bolting up the transmission.

Engines for our cars can be had in the hundred dollar range, typically they don't break into the thousands even. It may even be worth your while to have a shop do it, if the engine doesn't break your bank and you're willing to spend up to a grand or so in labor(at least thats what most shops charge).

Welcome to the forums, and good luck. Let us know if you end up buying it!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Yea see the thing is, I do plan on putting another engine in it, but thats in the long run. Right now my money is limited, and I rather just get the block, since the rest of the engine is fine.

AS my knowledge goes, I'm pretty alright with the cars, I just need to know what I need to take off, and I probably will have some friends who know more help out.

But thanks a lot for your help. You guys are quick.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

if you take the block off the junked engine you might as well replace everything on it with new parts.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

yea you still are goin to have to pull the whole engine out to swap the blocks transfer the head and tranny to the new block drop it in and reconnect all wires and hoses and d/s ect
Old 04-03-2007, 06:32 PM
Contributing Member

^^^
yup it's not like you can just take the block off the entire engine must be removed.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:47 PM

Yea, I understand that. But I still can only afford the block. So this is probaly waht i will do. Transfer parts to the new block, and than drop that in. Also the heads on the engine right now are rebuilt and rebored.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by The Don
Yea, I understand that. But I still can only afford the block. So this is probaly waht i will do. Transfer parts to the new block, and than drop that in. Also the heads on the engine right now are rebuilt and rebored.
ok we seem to have a problem here. but i'll only address the "heads" issue.

it has only one head!!!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 PM

My fault, emant to say head.

Also would it be easier since its single cam? Less hassle maybe since its smaller?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

if you are referring to the block being smaller its not... 2.4 bottom just as the dohc bottom..

you are creating more work for yourself bro.... if you are really strapped for cash you could have that block welded shut depending on how bad the crack is and where........... but that would not be that cool because something caused it to crack..... thats what you would really have to worry about.. a engine can be had for about 300 bro save yourself some time and money and just get another engine and take your current one and part it out or rebuild it.

welcome to the club

Last edited by Biggamehit; 04-04-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by The Don
My fault, emant to say head.

Also would it be easier since its single cam? Less hassle maybe since its smaller?

????
ok i think the last thing you need is this or any car. first read up on that your talking about and for now ride a bicycle.

sorry but that's the best advise i can give you.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

come on man we are not here to run him away, it obvious he's new man just try and help him along.

you gotta crawl slowly before you walk lol

Last edited by Biggamehit; 04-03-2007 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Hello, Need a question answered