S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

just joined!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2005, 09:26 PM

Cool just joined!!!!!!!!!

hi every one! very excited to join the club. i might have joined this club last summer but my 240 got stolen in front of my house. and worst there is a sheriff station in front of my house and still my car got stolen. but 2 days ago i got a call from them and they told me that they found my car!!! i am very happy about that.

well now i have the car. the headgasket is busted and if i am right the pistons are bend. also the tranny grinds in 3 and 4 gear. the clutch is just ok. as this is not my every day car so i just want to fix it enough to drive for fun, drifting and cannyon driving. i dont want to put in a SR becuz i am limited on budget and in the later run turbo will cost me more money. so i think i will stick with NA. its a 1990 240sx. so i have a ka24e. i think i have three options. but i cant decide which one is the best. options are:

1. buy another ka24e and swap it in.
2. rebuild the same motor with high compression pistons and all the other good stuff. also i need more info how to make more compression out of it.
3. or swap in a ka24de in it. but then i have to think about changing the ecu and other stuff. or is it pretty simple. i am not good with engines. so i have to do that at a shop. so i dont want big bills. but plz tell me what has to be done for that.

also the car is in bad shape. so i have to clean and take care of the cosmetics. i dont know how much every thing will cost me. but if some body can give ma a rough estmate about how much i need to spend on the engine to make it run good.

again very excited to be here. thankyou in advance for reading the thread and replying.

peaceout.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:38 AM
Contributing Member

welcome

I'd suggest #3 - swap to a DE. Other than bending the p/s lines, the rest is pretty much unbolt/bolton. if you can get the entire wiring harness from a junked DE-equipped car, swapping to the DE ECU and connecting all the engine and tranny sensors is plug and play.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

What are your plans for this car. I think you are prepping to pour money into something that is not worth it (high compression pistons on a SOHC motor).
Old 01-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
What are your plans for this car. I think you are prepping to pour money into something that is not worth it (high compression pistons on a SOHC motor).
a "regular" rebuild kit will cost about $500-ish, and you can find decent running KA24DE's for sale for less
Old 01-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
a "regular" rebuild kit will cost about $500-ish, and you can find decent running KA24DE's for sale for less
Wait I reread that and he wants it for drifting and canyon driving.

Do a DE swap from a friend that has just done a SR. Thing is you are screwed because you will need his PS lines. Yes you can bend them but that is a shortcut and shortcuts suck.

I have seen rads explode and ps cans leak. Just get the lines and do it right.

You will need the ECU as well. It is all junk to the swap guy.

From there do suspension and brakes. Forget power. If you can drive faster you will have to stop shorter. You can do that with skill, you don't need more power.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:52 AM

you said it right standbo. i am not looking for power. i can do that by putting an SR. but i dont. this is a car for drifting and canyon drive so i am looking for some decent horsepower numbers. but problem is that i dont have a place to do the swap. i already found de with tranny for 350. but i dont have a place to do it. i live in a apartment building and worst my roommate uses it. and my manager will never allow to that in the garage. any suggestions what should i do.
i already have the eibach springs and kyb. just gonna upgrade the brakes.
thanx everyone for ur info. and plz kepp it coming. as i need it.

peace out.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:07 PM
Contributing Member

Zero power mods. I plan to do the same with another coupe this year so I can show the young guys you just need a lead foot and brass ***** to do well.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

stan's been pic posting a lot recently ahaha
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by l2aine
stan's been pic posting a lot recently ahaha
I have a billion of them. I am just trying to get the point across that you don't need power to drift. It is nice to have and all but it is not needed.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by StanBo
I have a billion of them. I am just trying to get the point across that you don't need power to drift. It is nice to have and all but it is not needed.
man if that dude in the Daihatsu can qualify for D1... you know power isn't everything
Old 02-01-2005, 12:13 PM

find a DE and rebuild that... since this isnt your everyday driver then you can afford the time. While rebuilding it you can make sure you read up on how to make cheap extra horsepower. Gives you time and read read read.

good luck and glad you got your baby back
Old 02-01-2005, 07:10 PM

I second what C-Walk said KAs have the potential but they just need a lil work to get there, and trust me you gunna think back some times and say man i wish i coulda got an SR but if you go with the KA and turbo it and tune it up youll be smokin SRs.
Old 02-02-2005, 01:35 AM

thnx for replys guys. i am really greatful. SR is a great motor and also my friend has one. he swaped it in a 240. i drive his car sometimes. its very good. but its just i am short on money and i need to take care of other stuff. just dont have enough time and money. i found DE motors. but the thing is that i dont have any place to do the swap. anybody have and idea what or where should i go for it. anyadvice will be very helpfull. i will try to do the swap but if not i will just rebuild the motor and drive it.
again thankyou very much for your support and keep it coming.

peace out.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

where are you located??? there are any number of shops around the country that could do the swap for you...with a de swap it is all prett easy and you should not have to pay more than like 300 to 500 for the labor... hell if you said you were in tenn i would let ya do it here... and even let ya pick over my parts car for anything you might need... but that is in tenn... i would suggest to find a friend who would let ya use his back yard... or pay a shop to do it...
Old 02-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the forums!! It's really cool to see a newb that has gotten his suspension parts in and isn't looking to go straight to the SR20 and thinking that will make him all big and bad. Good luck with your project!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just joined!!!!!!!!!