S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Looking to buy a 240SX in the next 2 weeks or so.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:30 PM

Looking to buy a 240SX in the next 2 weeks or so.

I will give a brief history on myself as I am at work and can not say too much, but I also need some advice about my potential purchase soon.

I have always wanted to get into the sport compact world since I got my license (later than everyone my age) and my first purchased car was the first year 2000 Ford Focus. Unfortunately, as anyone would know that car SUCKED it's first year out, with recalls every month and various problems. After a year I was sick of it and traded it in for the first car I ever fell in love with, a 1992 300ZX 2+2. 2+2 because I wanted the seats for passengers, and I was just going to make it faster even though it wasn't a TT or 2 seater. So many problems and 8,000+ in repairs later, the car kept dying or came near to dying on me on my commute to work. So I traded it in for a Chevy cavalier.... Yeah, where I am today, nice.

So I have been doing good at work, making better money than last year when I got the Cavalier and I just got approved for a 5,000 loan and my mom needs a car. So, I was going to get a 240SX and give my mom the Cavalier, and take care of both payments. Just got approved for the loan today, and all I need is the car.

So I have 2 I have seen on craigslist and I would want to go check them out first, but from what you guys could see what do you think of these two?

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/car/93529669.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/car/90299874.html

If these look good to any of you guys, which one should I buy. I would like to have money left to fix things if needed, and possible upgrade anything I may want done, or just pay off a little unrelated debt.
Old 09-01-2005, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

I would go with option 2 and see if you could talk him down to $2600-$2700 cash.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:16 PM

Yeah one of my friends with a nice 240sx told me avoid the 1st one, because he knows I want to turbo the KADE, and said I don't want his lightweight pulley, PLUS he said the guy contradicts himself saying he babies the car, yet has all of these low quality performance mods.

I have 5K available and will only go that high if it is a low mile high year, because I want this car to be a reliable daily driver, as long as having potential as long as I throw mods at it. So the left over money will fix these things and maybe get a new paint job or fix the interior, just to get things looking newish.

I am still on the hunt, but I like the idea of having a hatch and #2 of these 2 choices is my current favorite.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Contributing Member

Definately go with number two...you gotta be careful with those modded cars Welcome by the way
Old 09-02-2005, 04:02 AM

welcome to the forums
Old 09-02-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

if you were going to drop 5K on the car, I'd find a '95 w/less than 130K on the engine and good exterior quality.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:38 AM

Thanks a ton for the help, I have ruled out number 2 because I just realized (wasn't paying attention) that it was an LE, with power nothing and a lift up roof. So the search continues.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:27 PM

Found a couple more of interest. Decided to get the newest lowest mile one money can buy, so I can have a reliable car, so the gf doesn't trip.

#3: http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...&color=#vdptop

#4: http://used-cars.autos.yahoo.com/use...TIwJg--#imgpop

I like both, but #4 is a bit expensive for the asking price, hope I can talk him/her down on it. Also my current daily driver I was giving to my mom died on the freeway yesterday, and I hope it is a quick cheap fix, sounds like a fuel pump problem.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

g'luck, both options seem viable. Just make sure you test drive and look over both cars prior to purchase. See if you can get option 4 down to a lower price and you're golden.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:58 PM

Well damn I am back. I went to look at a 95 240sx with 131K miles on it, Emerald Blue, and OH MY GOD was it beautiful, for a non SE...

Power windows, mirrors and the such, no moonroof, LSD or ABS (I think), but man did this guy take CARE of this car. I am so tempted to say screw an SE and get it.

He wanted 5,300 but I kept bugging him for 5K cash on the spot and he would have done it, but once I realized it wasn't SE I walked away, but damn am I regretting it...

I dunno if I should try to wait for an SE in my range that is halfway as decent as this one, or just go get the base model... decisions decisions...
Old 10-20-2005, 03:27 PM

kinda late i guess, but look on auto trader and cars.com..... I bought my car for $4300, but i had to fly to arizona to get it.

96 SE, no abs or lsd however, but only 94k miles on it when i bought it
Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Neo Kokujin
Well damn I am back. I went to look at a 95 240sx with 131K miles on it, Emerald Blue, and OH MY GOD was it beautiful, for a non SE...

Power windows, mirrors and the such, no moonroof, LSD or ABS (I think), but man did this guy take CARE of this car. I am so tempted to say screw an SE and get it.

He wanted 5,300 but I kept bugging him for 5K cash on the spot and he would have done it, but once I realized it wasn't SE I walked away, but damn am I regretting it...

I dunno if I should try to wait for an SE in my range that is halfway as decent as this one, or just go get the base model... decisions decisions...
dude, you're an idiot. It doesn't get much better than that. So what if it's not an SE? Just pick up the hubs and the lsd later. Emerald Blue is a rare find.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:28 PM

Hmmm an idiot? Nice...

Well this idiot was stupid enough to put in my signature that I got that car.

If reading signatures is a little rough for you, I made it easier by making a topic about buying said car...

I am even breaking down every sentence I write for ya into their own tiny little blocks of text, as to ease your way into what we call, conversation.

Nice huh?

Well I am sure I have found the bottom of the food chain on this board, and if that is your way of greeting me, you're welcome.

Need I or you say more, that hasn't been said already?

Please let me know...

Back on topic...

The damn car failed smog twice today, and I am just gonna reg it so I can drive it with the ugly sticker on my car,. Then when I have money (after I move to Irvine in 3 weeks) I will get what needs fixing, fixed. Such a frustrating day.

It was misfiring and I replaced the discharge rotor and cap, which fixed one of two tests I failed, but I was still failing the other. Now I need to check my plugs and wires, if those are fine, the guy mentioned it may be my cat converter, which I can not afford to fix right now.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

dude, don't get butt hurt. Why in the hell would I pay attention to your sig anyway? It offers zero entertainment value or any useful information other than the fact that you have a 240 like every other person on this forum. I greeted you earlier by offering advice in the THREE posts previous to my last. How well do YOU read? Anyways, petty bickering aside, sorry to hear about your bad luck with the new ride and the sh1tty day. Cat converter is a relatively cheap fix, and takes about 10 minutes. Look on the bright side, tommorrow's Friday.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 240SX in the next 2 weeks or so.