S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

New Member Planning on Buying a 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2002, 03:42 PM

New Member Planning on Buying a 240sx

well right now im in the process of selling my 2k civic. i plan on selling it for 11k or 12k, it has MANY extras on it, but im getting tired of it and looking for something faster...

so thats why i came to the nissan 240sx. with the money i have left over from buying a 94-96 between 4k and 6k, i should have around 4-7k left over. I plan on doing the following:

Important:

s13 Silva Motor
Aftermarket Chrome Turbo Piping
GReddy Type S BOV
GReddy 23"x10"x2.25" FMIC
GReddy 3" Downpipe
HKS Titanuim Exhaust
Zeal Full Coilover Setup
RO_JA Wheels 8" Wide in the front, 10" In the back (dished)
Apexi VAFC
GReddy Boost Controller
GReddy Turbo Timer

Not High On the Priority List:

Nismo Motor Mounts
Nismo Strut Bars
Cusco Sway Bars
Bomex Body Kit
Custom Body Color
Internal Upgrades
Fuel Upgrades
Turbo Upgrade

what do you think? i have also heard about wiring problems with the s13? is there an easy way to solve this? any companies make a pain free wiring harness for it? Thanks for all your ideas and help!
Old 09-11-2002, 04:27 PM

im pretty sure you want an safc not a vafc as vafc is meant for vtec cars
Old 09-11-2002, 04:48 PM

yah my bad, safc, one for Air/Fuel Control
Old 09-13-2002, 06:16 AM
Regulate

That sounds really good, with the price of your civic, you'll have a 240 that will totally leave it in the dust. Although I think unless you get a really good deal on an SR motor and do the work yourself/get cheap labor, with all the extras you listed added on, it looks like it'll be over 6 or 7k.
Old 09-13-2002, 07:10 AM

well actually 7k is about right for everything on the top priority list. maybe a little less, the club i am president of has a sponsor in ca called M1 Autosports, so i i get prett good discounts on alot of things. So my motor and the goodies will be cheap
Old 09-13-2002, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Well I would definitely add a high flow fuel pump to things needed and also add the strut bars and sway bars, ST sways are pretty good also, to the list of things you want to get. THis way u'll have some nice power and can almost out handle any car on the road.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:16 AM

aight awesome, well i defently plan on getting a full coilover setup, maybe tien or zeal, but tie bars and sways can come later...hwo much hp do you think i would be running with all that **** anf the high flow fuel pump and ****?
Old 09-16-2002, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

First off - no need for tie bars any longer... you're not in the Civic world anymore. The 240 has stout crossmembers that don't need reinforcement.

For the fuel pump, most people run the Walbro unit. It costs around $120.

For some other parts, you may want to consider other sources. The JDM aftermarket parts seem relatively expensive compared to some others. I'm specifically talking about the swaybars. Whitelines and ST's are cheaper and will do just as well as Cusco's.

For coilovers, Tein and JIC magic seem to hover around the same price - 4 corners for less than $1300 with pillow ball mounts.

Take a look at Greddy's e-Manage for fuel and spark tuning. It does everything the piggyback fuel controllers do, and will also control extra injectors and timing. It can also do data logging to your laptop, something most other piggybacks miss.

Personally, I think your budget may be a bit ambitious. Most people spend about $5k on the SR swap alone by the time everything's running right. That is on a self-installed motor. Considering that, you may want to look at heavythrottle's installation services. They can also bundle in the ic kit while it's there.

Unless you get a very good deal on the car (maybe one with a blown motor?) I don't see it coming together for the price you set out (at least not in a timely manner). I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that though.

-Justin
http://www.saltgod.org
Old 09-16-2002, 04:42 PM

Well obviously first on my list is the actual motor in the car, after that happens, then i will spend my money accordingly...i dunno i have been looking at the swaps for these cars, and I am beginning to become a littl eoverwhelmed with all the stuff that is involved with these swaps...
Old 09-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Hehe... not quite the same as dropping a ZC into a CRX, huh?

The swap is involved - but the payoffs are huge! The SR20 is a great motor. Power band is wide, making it very drivable compared to some other motors.

It is expensive to do it right though... and cutting corners could cost you more in the long run. It is a turbo motor...

You can find a low mileage KA motor for less than $1000. You could add a turbo kit for less than $4000... I dunno - power is expensive!

Maybe you shoudl just do your suspension and get aNOS kit in the mean time.

-Justin
http://www.saltgod.org
Old 09-17-2002, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Justin.b

Maybe you shoudl just do your suspension and get aNOS kit in the mean time.
That's a great way to start it I think, since our car with exhaust, intake and pulleys give close to an additional 20+ whp as seen in turbo or was it import tuner (well one of them) and its dyno test to be a good motor with some miles on it. So don't give up on the KA just yet.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:03 AM

nah i need a sr20det, i want power and i love the way those engines look. i am doing more research and im thinking they are not as hard as i thought. i think this is what im gonna do

-Silva Motor
-Turbo Goodies
-Suspension

everything else will come later...
Old 09-18-2002, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

i would definitely do some suspension stuff first. Its a lot of fun to have, and especially since the sr is lighter the car will rise, so coilovers suggested.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:31 PM

Well i finally figured out what im gonna do, i found a 1992 240sx fastback SE-R needs engine work, beautiful body though, only wants 800 bucks. has my name written all over it. thats what im gonna do...ill have more than 11k to spend on it. its gonna be the SHEEEZ
Old 09-19-2002, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

There's no such thing as an se-r. Tell him that so he'll lower the price

Quick Reply: New Member Planning on Buying a 240sx