S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

New to the Nismo World!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by S13BoostMonster
haha sounds good. hey- anyone know any good tuners here in the San Diego area?? This hog is running rich as hell!! 1/8 tank in 15 minutes!! lol
Are you driving ***** to the wall? My 180 would suck gas like a *********a when I drove the living **** out of it.

Is your car registered out of state? you're going to have a tough time with a CA18DET under your hood in Cali. As long as your car is registered out of state, and you have military stickers on your windshield, the cops can't **** with you.

-Is your ECU throwing any codes?
-What is the condition of your O2 Sensor?
-Have you checked your Spark Plugs?
-Is your FPR aftermarket?
-PM me your email! (preferably your military and personal email!!!)

Last edited by YangpaNemsay; 05-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by YangpaNemsay
Are you driving ***** to the wall? My 180 would suck gas like a *********a when I drove the living **** out of it.

Is your car registered out of state? you're going to have a tough time with a CA18DET under your hood in Cali. As long as your car is registered out of state, and you have military stickers on your windshield, the cops can't **** with you.

-Is your ECU throwing any codes?
-What is the condition of your O2 Sensor?
-Have you checked your Spark Plugs?
-Is your FPR aftermarket?
-PM me your email! (preferably your military and personal email!!!)
No, i havent been driving ***** to the wall. Ive got on it once during that 15 minute period. by getting on it i mean running it hard through 3rd, then letting off. it idles at 1100 rpms when cold, then 2000 rpms when warm. the car still has the old owners cali plates on it. i want to call my Pennsylvania DMV and see if I can just take the plates off my Integra that I traded for this car and slap them on. i have military stickers on my windshield already.but yeah, i really want to avoid having to register it here. F that. lol. Im not getting any codes, no dummy lights, I havent hadtime to check the 02 sensor just yet, nor the sparkplugs. Im not sure about the FPR... Ill have to look tonight after my Command Wide Uniform Inspection

But yeah man, thanks for the ideas, givng me a place to start diagnosing. Id like to pick up the throw out bearing and the rear main seal, and try to fix those 2 issues this week. Yangpa- would you be free this weekend to help me? Id be using either the 32nd Street Navy base or MCRD...
Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM

P.S. Pictures are now up. Ill take more this weekend when I clean the car up and actually have a real camera!
Old 05-05-2009, 04:57 PM

idling at 2000rpm????

CA18DET idle speed is 750rpm at operating temperature.

if you are warming up at 1000rpm and idling at 2000rpm, i'd start checking vacuum hoses and start messing with your Idle Air Control Valve screw.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:11 PM

I have found 2 vacuum hoses that are capped off with screws, but Im not sure what they lead to. i also found today that my dipstick is MIA, lol. and i gotta buy windshield wipers. Grrr. I bought the rear main seal and the paper gaskets, and also got my throwout bearing tonight. I am definitely planning on replacing these parts this weekend, as I threw a quart of Mobil1 Synthetic in it tonight, and its probably already been dripped.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 PM

Oh yeah, quick question: I run very rich. Idle very high. At low RPMs the car stutters badly. And in reverse it likes to die.

Do these sound like timing symptoms???
Old 05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
Contributing Member

^^

check all of your vacuums... plug the unused ones and make sure your FPR has a vacuum going to it.

Originally Posted by JapanS15
Damn skippy! I am bringing it back with me! I just have to see about getting it legalized or decide on if I'm going to keep it for just race/drift/shows.

that will be no issue.. just have abotu 8-9kish of cash and go see rob.... EAW has a state side partner who have and will import cars.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:51 AM

so...checking vacuums: get a can of carb cleaner/parts cleaner and spray the lines while idling to look for bubbles? never had to do this before....
Old 05-06-2009, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

no...

spray one area at a time..... when and if you spray it the idle goes up, you have a leak..

the theory is..... the cleaner will be sucked into the intake manifold mixed with air/fuel and will cause a spike in idle.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
^^

check all of your vacuums... plug the unused ones and make sure your FPR has a vacuum going to it.
If your FPR has no vacuum running to it, it will raise the Fuel Pressure.

Originally Posted by Biggamehit
no...

spray one area at a time..... when and if you spray it the idle goes up, you have a leak..

the theory is..... the cleaner will be sucked into the intake manifold mixed with air/fuel and will cause a spike in idle.

Casey, check your plugs and "read" em!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM

lol i shoulda just stuck with Honda. J/K! Dont hurt me... lol. Ill try this out tonight...lol. thank you for the tips biggamehit. and Yang--- are u free this weekend? Ill buy you lunch. come on, u know u want lunch...lol
Old 05-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

well remember the B-series motors are infamous for the old AICV coming loose lol.... im no stranger to honda.. got out of that game right about the time that the K20 became the rage.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by S13BoostMonster
lol i shoulda just stuck with Honda. J/K! Yang--- are u free this weekend? Ill buy you lunch. come on, u know u want lunch...lol
I might be free on Sunday.

Last edited by YangpaNemsay; 05-06-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 PM

lol grr. so i pulled the plugs tonight. they were old NGKs. 2 of them, out of the 2 cylinders closest to the firewall, smell strongly of gasoline. the other 2 did not. i went and bought new NGK plugs, the BCPR6ES-11 ones. so, im going to put them in tomorrow, and see if it makes a difference. it probably wont. lol. the FPR has the necessary lines running to it, i checked that tonight as well. I'm beginning to think my timing is off... its most logical thing it seems. unless i truly do have a bad vacuum, which i have yet to check. does anyone know of where i could see a write-up for swapping out the throwout bearing, or the rear main seal? im going to make sure the rear main seal is indeed the culprit tomorrow, im hoping it isnt the oilpan gasket. on these motors, do we have to lift the motor to drop the oilpan? i have yet to get under my car to check it out... and Yang, let me know as soon as you know please Thanks
Old 05-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Got 3 more opinions today, all of which from ASE certified techs...they said it may be a stuck open fuel injector or 2...sound feasible? The logic they gave was: The fuel injector is stuck open, dumping fuel. The car idles so high because it is trying to burn up all the fuel being poured in. The car stutters in low rpms because is basically getting drowned... any ideas/opinions?

Quick Reply: New to the Nismo World!!