S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

noobie check in

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 06:18 PM

noobie check in

I'm TJ I currently drive a 98 honda prelude, but its for sale and once its gone I am getting a s14 240 and sr20 right after I buy the car. Ran accross this site and was greatly impressed by some of the tech answers I was able to read from others so I joined.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the forums..glad you are searching around, not many new members do that.
May I ask why your going right into doing the SR swap? What are you ganna do with the car? Daily driver, track?
Old 12-08-2003, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

welcome to the boards. like JynX said, what's ur motivation for the swap?
Old 12-08-2003, 11:37 AM

Welcome to the boards
Old 12-08-2003, 12:49 PM

because with the amount of money I will get out of my prelude I would have the funds to do the swap right away and I have seen a few around town that have them and I am in love. I have a daily driver that I can drive but the 240 will be driven most of the time. I wanna go fast and I know its better to go sr20 so thats my reasons.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Contributing Member

So is this ganna be a weekend warrior? Track *****?
Have you driven a S14 with a KA before? Looked into a KA-T? It would be more powerful then a SR and around the same price.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:23 PM

welcome, i'm new too.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
So is this ganna be a weekend warrior? Track *****?
Have you driven a S14 with a KA before? Looked into a KA-T? It would be more powerful then a SR and around the same price.
I used to work at a nissan dealer and drove a s14 with a ka and it felt much like a rwd civic to me, I am not to fond of the ka-t because I am looking to make alot of power down the road not in the near future because its to much money at the time but I would like to be in the 400hp club one of these days and from what i have read its better to go with the sr20 then.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by hondahater
I used to work at a nissan dealer and drove a s14 with a ka and it felt much like a rwd civic to me, I am not to fond of the ka-t because I am looking to make alot of power down the road not in the near future because its to much money at the time but I would like to be in the 400hp club one of these days and from what i have read its better to go with the sr20 then.
RWD civic?? Not really..it has more HP, more torque and better handling then a civic, a lot better then one.
If your looking for 400HP in the long run, it will be best to upgrade the internals, SR internals arent made for 400ish HP. A RB25 would be a great candidate, but its a bit harder and a lil more expensive then a SR.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by -HyJynX-
RWD civic?? Not really..it has more HP, more torque and better handling then a civic, a lot better then one.
If your looking for 400HP in the long run, it will be best to upgrade the internals, SR internals arent made for 400ish HP. A RB25 would be a great candidate, but its a bit harder and a lil more expensive then a SR.
agreed.

yes, even the almighty SR could use a little help beyond the 350WHP range to be safely KABOOM!-proof. plus, it's a sleeved aluminum block (which would probably need to be resleeved for that kinda power). the KA has an iron block and the RB series (20, 25, 26) have iron blocks. 400WHP on RB internals is very likely. and, for the money put into purchasing an SR20 motorset or front clip (not to mention shipping), the KA can be built to reliably put down that kinda power. not that i'm anti-SR (as i love those, too). i'm tired of the sentiment that the SR is the only way to go for more power. it's not the ONLY way, but yet another way. besides, how many cars above 350WHP have u driven in ur time? for that matter, how many cars over 250WHP have u driven? and i am talking about power to the wheels as confirmed by a dyno. not being an *** or anything, but i'm trying to make sure that u realize what ur asking for, the potential costs to get there, and the fact that there are different options available to achieve said goal. too many times, kids read something in a magazine (or on a message board) and think that for $3000 they can have a 500WHP, 11 second, SR20DET powered drift car (even though they haven't touched anything w/half that much power).
Old 12-09-2003, 10:18 AM

you both make very interesting points and sil40_mayhem I have driven cars with that much power i used to own a ls1 trans am a few years ago. but the reason for me going with the srswap is a its a direct swap with no mods so I could do it myself with the help of a few buddies. I am not interested in goin ka because I dont have the funds to build it right away. and as for the rb its just to much custom work for me so I would have to take it to a shop and I dont trust a single shop we have here in St. Louis to do the rb swap. and like I said before the 400whp is something I would do down the road as in like once I get done with the swap, suspension, maybe a s15 front end conversion then back to the motor.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

RB25s dont consists of much customizing, driveshaft and mounts and ur set...but that can knock you back a good grand right there. The only thing that will be very hard to do is the wiring..espically in the S14 because its a bit more complicated as I hear. There are a lot of people here that really know there sh*t bout RBs and can help ya a lot if you choose to go down that road.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

double H,

that's cool. i just wanted to make sure that u had an understanding of things and really knew what u wanted to do and why. just as long as it wasn't "cuz i heard it was the cool thing to do" and crazy ish like that. best of luck w/the project, and keep us posted w/ur progress.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:32 PM

thanks man and guys thanks for telling me other options to go with, I have someone comming out sunday to look at my prelude so hopefully I can get this project rollin soon
Old 12-09-2003, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by hondahater
thanks man and guys thanks for telling me other options to go with, I have someone comming out sunday to look at my prelude so hopefully I can get this project rollin soon
k0ol, and np. Good luck on selling the lude and on ur project

Quick Reply: noobie check in