S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Stang Banger researching for next project.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 PM

Stang Banger researching for next project.

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd sign up here so I could start getting some info on my next project. First a little about me. I'm a college student and am into having project cars to work on. I started with a Ford Focus as my first car and by the time I sold it, I had turned an 18.5sec auto grocery getter into a 15sec NA auto bracket killer and rolling prototype for my local speed shop. Sadly I sold that car after getting my hands on a 2004 Mustang Mach 1 that I have kept mostly stock besides a 99 Cobra front end, new paint, and some goodies to help with crusing or racing. If you guys have any questions about the Mach I'd be more than happy to answer. However since I sold the focus I have been wanting a unique 4cyl car for daily driving and just general crusing. I have to admit I'm an Inital D fan so I'd like to build a Silvia replica from a 240SX Coupe.

So far my plans are to find an S13 era 240sx with a blown/seized/dead motor and strip it bare, interior and all. After stripping the chassis, I plan on installing the Silvia front end and then going for a full repaint, to give it a factory finish. In the end I'd reassemble it with an SR20DET in the nose replacing the toasted motor. I plan on doing a paint job like the S13 from Initial D with a few tweaks to make it personalized. I know, I know I'm gonna get flamed for that.

My actual plans as far as use go are mainly daily driving, car shows, spirited back road driving and the occasional trip to the drag strip when I'm not running the Mach. I'm hoping this site will help me choose a motor that will give me performance close to (but not necissarly equal to) the Mach (Ie. 13sec drag passes, stable rwd fun on back roads, ect.) As I really see the Mach as a collectors car more than a DD, plus the new stripe is a PITA to keep clean.

Sorry for the rambling post....Here are some Pics of the Mach.
Attached Thumbnails Stang Banger researching for next project.-cobra.jpg   Stang Banger researching for next project.-img_0787.jpg   Stang Banger researching for next project.-img_0773.jpg  

Last edited by Lord Umoja; 04-05-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 PM

Welcome to the forum man
Old 08-03-2008, 08:50 PM

I myself love the two-tone S13 coupes.....welcome to the forums man and good luck.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM

Coupe or fastback u want
Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 94Boy
Coupe or fastback u want
I am guessing you are asking him which one he wants? If so he wants a coupe, or thats what the OP says.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the replies, I was afraid that I was gonna get the cold shoulder since I drive an American V8. In my opinion as loong as you put time into it and its fast, then I respect it.

As for the project my father may have just thrown a monkey wrench into everything. He mentioned doing a convertable with a custom toneau cover and making it into a 2 seat speedster. Essentially, removing the rear seats, welding in a "mini-cage" to strengthen the body a little and then having a cover that hides the cage and retracted top. The toneau would be 2 pieces and hinged near the back to flip the rear portion foreward and allow the top to come up without revealing the welded in supports. Does this sound resonable, or better yet possible? I know its going to be time consuming but I believe the rewards will be amazing.

94boy, what part of PA are you from? Just wondering if you're a local.

Last edited by Lord Umoja; 08-03-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:51 PM

I am about 10 mins from Philly. Levittown PA
Old 08-03-2008, 10:00 PM

Ahh... Thats a ways away from me but I might hit ya up if I go to visit my friend at Temple this year. That is if you can stand rolling with a Mach 1.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 PM

I was in a Mach 1 be for IT WAS CRAZY FAST.... But ya man its funny how you say this "I was afraid that I was gonna get the cold shoulder since I drive an American V8" It does not matter what you drive we all are here for one reason....
Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 94Boy
But ya man its funny how you say this "I was afraid that I was gonna get the cold shoulder since I drive an American V8" It does not matter what you drive we all are here for one reason....
Figured as much but some people are really super brand loyal and hate anything that doent have thier setup or badge...

BTW in your opinion, should I got for the coupe, or attempt the vert? I really am having trouble deciding.

Last edited by Lord Umoja; 08-03-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Umoja
Figured as much but some people are really super brand loyal and hate anything that doent have thier setup or badge...
While I am like that too but im not a person that will talk trash about any cars unless they say something about JDM cars. Like I would never talk trash on a Mach 1 Just because most cars will get killed by it.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Welcome, majority of the real members here wont bash you one what kind of car you already have... take Stig for instance, we havent kicked him out just yet... I kid I kid.

As for what you're looking for, if you're really looking for 13 seconds... I'd consider a 2JZ-GTE (Supra) and do a big single turbo. That would rock anyone's shocks off.

But dont get me wrong, I know of a few SR's that are capable of those numbers too. Its just up to the person really.

The convertable thing, sounds nice. I'd like to see that personally.

Im sure you'll be able to find a chassis, but since the verts are rare, you might want to pick up what there is... hatch's and coupes are a dime a dozen really, but verts are rare and super sexy with a silvia front end with the square halogen lights, no projectors...
Old 08-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

lately in miami ive been seeing more verts then coups or hatches.

if you want your car for performance then go coupe if you just want the looks get a vert cause remember verts are heavier and the chassis is a wet noodle.

at work im fully restoring a 67 stang but... this experience is making me dislike mustangs... well maybe not mustangs maybe just any old hunk of rust lol
Old 08-04-2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Lord Umoja

BTW in your opinion, should I got for the coupe, or attempt the vert? I really am having trouble deciding.
I would do a vert if u can find one..... if not i would do Fast back
Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by battosaii930
lately in miami ive been seeing more verts then coups or hatches.

if you want your car for performance then go coupe if you just want the looks get a vert cause remember verts are heavier and the chassis is a wet noodle.

at work im fully restoring a 67 stang but... this experience is making me dislike mustangs... well maybe not mustangs maybe just any old hunk of rust lol
I know what you mean bro, I had to restore a 68... it wasnt fun and I dont think I want to do that again.

Quick Reply: Stang Banger researching for next project.