S-Chassis Newbie / FAQs Forum New member? Come on in, introduce yourself, and get acquainted with the community. FAQs will also be answered in here.

Switching from Honda to Nissan any hints?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 02:09 PM

Switching from Honda to Nissan any hints?

Hail to the wonderful 240SX. I am to be receiving a '91 240 in about a week. I was driving an '89 Accord 5-spd so this is a big jump for me. Already I'm thinking about performance, anyone got some do's or don'ts for me? Thanks all.
Old 12-11-2002, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

First off, I would like to say CONGRATULATIONS on becoming the proud owner of a 240SX. Also, congrats for getting out of the Honda Cult lol.

Do's for the 240: everything.....motor swap, rims, lower it (cause of that awful gap), exhaust, you name it!

Don'ts : do nothing, don't do a motor swap, don't get rims, don't lower it, don't get a LSD, don't get exhaust....keep it bone stock.

Now, if you want a suggestion as far as an engine swap, I would go with the RB25DET....

http://240Skyline.nissanpower.com

Night
Old 12-12-2002, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by NightXCZ77
Now, if you want a suggestion as far as an engine swap, I would go with the RB25DET....

http://240Skyline.nissanpower.com

Night
did you see how much unstable-hybrids.com is charging for thr rb25det swap? 8G's to drop off the car come back and pick it up and turn the key and drive home...
Old 12-12-2002, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

do a motor swap
What's wrong with the KA? It has tons of potential.

lower it
Some people like supension travel......
Old 12-12-2002, 05:10 PM
Regulate

Don'ts : do nothing, don't do a motor swap, don't get rims, don't lower it, don't get a LSD, don't get exhaust....keep it bone stock.
Too many double negatives, my head is spinning.
Old 12-12-2002, 08:29 PM
Contributing Member

RB swaps for 8G's....ha! They're making about 4G's on that lol. I sell the engines for way less and charge way less to do the RB swap....KA has potential, but it costs a lot of money to get one of those to run better than 9 psi....

Night
Old 12-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Contributing Member

KA has potential, but it costs a lot of money to get one of those to run better than 9 psi....
Not really....
Old 12-13-2002, 12:13 AM

dont ever buy a honda again...............
Old 12-13-2002, 12:19 AM
Contributing Member

Ok, "I'm With Stupid" this one's for you.....not to diss on you or anything, but here it goes.

Most KA24DE's can't run over 9 psi on stock internals (from what I have heard at the raceway...from a few people that have it done), ok, keeping that in mind, here is what is needed to do a turbo KA24DE...

??? - don't know actual cost, just a guess

#1 - the Turbo kit - about $3999 - Enjuku Racing (XS Engineering)
#2 - Intercooler - about $500
#3 - Forged LC Pistons - about $600
#4 - Forged Rods - $400-$600???
#5 - Stage 2 clutch - about $300
#6 - new valves & springs - $400 - $750???

just to start, using the lowest amount listed on the different parts, your total would come to $6200 - for that much you could do a lot more with a RB engine or SR engine. Not guaranteeing that you will see the same results from the SR (because you won't) but it would be done less expensively another route. Even Chris May who was featured in SuperStreet said that he wished in the end he would have just gone with the SR instead of his 438 RWHP KA24DE-T. I'm just saying that from what I heard, it's not a cheap conversion......if you can find it cheaper, I commend you for it.

Night
Old 12-13-2002, 02:50 AM

and i resent the mark about the honda thing. Why is there hatred.. i wouldnt mind a honda. Quite frankly they have better reliability than nissan does. also if you can recall nissan was almost bankrupt.
Hondas are great for daily transport.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:05 AM

Originally posted by NightSlide Josh
and i resent the mark about the honda thing. Why is there hatred.. i wouldnt mind a honda. Quite frankly they have better reliability than nissan does. also if you can recall nissan was almost bankrupt.
Hondas are great for daily transport.
it was a joke..........
Old 12-13-2002, 06:10 AM

FMAX kit for S14 running 11.3PSI (maybe more now) on Ty Yaps car making something like close to 300RWHP completely stock internals.

Running PSI is all about tuning. If you tune well, you can run lots of PSI, and more on race gas.

The strength of "stock internals" is typically limited by the strength of CAST pistons, whose ringlands typically aren't designed with turbo applications in mind. These pistons have low toelrance for detonation, and your average *** doesn't know **** about engines so they go and crank up the bloost and blow their stuff up. The KA can take a lot of boost if you tune it well. A cheap set of forged pistons and it can take even more boost if you tune it well.

Nobody bothers to do a KA because it requires too much thinking. Most of the people building import cars today are basically morons and do whatever requires the least amount of thinking. Your thinking that swapping in an RB is so great is really just a lack of thinking, because for the amount of money and effort required you could have an SR powered car that will outperform it (assuming the same starting conditions and starting budget).

Is the RB swap dumb? Depends on what you want to do. Is it unique? It's becoming less so. Is it cool? Oh yeah! But you are making it gay, so just STFU ok? Leave it alone and it will continue to be cool.

As for the RB25, it's a serious waste of dough. You aren't using more than 350RWHP in a stock rear-gear S chassis. If you are, it's because you're a drag racer, and you're retarded, and you should've bought yourself a different car in the first place anyway

With that thinking, why waste all that money on the RB25 when you can just go SR, get your 350WHP, and be done with it? =)

As for $6200, you are crazy. You can low buck a turbo kit out of the junkyard for $3000 and be making serious power. You don't need new pistons, rods, OR valves/springs. Why are you making these wacko assumptions? Please don't be so openly ignorant.

The dos and don'ts for modifying your 240SX are the same as for modifying any other car, and I say this ALL THE DAMNED TIME:

1) choose what you want your car to do. Autocrosser? Drag ***? Sunday cruiser? Show queer? Etc
2) choose what kind of prep level you want, dictating your budget. Mild or wild? Are you building to win, or just to have some fun?
3) pick your mods accordingly.

If you follow that plan, you will end up making the least amount of double purchases (i.e. buyign something and then buying something better shortly thereafter -- take it from me, I'm looking for my THIRD set of suspension)

I hope I've provided some insight to a board where there seems to be little.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

you just do the same things you'd do to anyother car.
improve the cars initial shortcommings, then hit up the basics.
suspension, braking, power and saftey. and style.
if you do it on an official level you'll have a mulit purpose car.
adjustable suspension to go from drag to street to drift.

thoraxe was right. just look at the WHOLE picture and you'll have a great car..
Old 12-13-2002, 07:23 AM

There's no such thing as a suspension that's simply adjustable from drag to drift.

Drift coilovers have excessively high springrates (basically in line with circuit rates... typically 10kF 8kR for 180SX give or take). Drag coilovers are supposed to be VERY soft springrate in the rear combined with very soft damping in the rear to allow maximum weight transfer.

Why do you think that HKS makes two entirely different suspensions for S13? One for drag and one for circuit.

There's NO SUCH THING as a multipurpose car. If you are building a true multipurpose car, you are building a car to suck at a lot of things. For some people that's ok, they don't want to win at what they're doing, they just wanna have fun. But if you want to build a superb drift machine, you better not be worrying about drag performance, ya dig?
Old 12-13-2002, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

ok man....i speed and drift. drag racing is not my bag.
but if your gona keep the car relitivly (sp) streetable your gona have to sacrafice. you don't need a drift spring rate to drift...(it helps) and adjustable dampers work wonders.
so i'll disagree with your statement that you can't build a multipurpose car.
if you chose the proper componets you'll be good.
who says you can't have you cake and eat it too?

now if you have ONE thing in mind for your car thats a whole nother story.

Last edited by rudeboy; 12-13-2002 at 08:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Switching from Honda to Nissan any hints?