Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

91 bumper on 90--how to???

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

91 bumper on 90--how to???

so how difficult is this "conversion"? i hate my 90's front bumper and would like to switch up. anybody have any tips or links for me to check out?
Old 09-16-2002, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

All I know is, it takes a while to do and you need the fenders too.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

damn! are you serious?
but the fenders bolt up right?
Old 09-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up No problem!

I have a '89 240SX and I bought a aftermarket '93 front bumper and the swap was no problem. It bolts right up unless you have a misaligned frontend or some damage up there or something. Check out my before and after pics on my homepage at cardomain.com

http://members.cardomain.com/positron

Last edited by positron; 09-16-2002 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2002, 10:59 PM
Contributing Member

man you are bugged out !! the car looks nice though. did you get that sr20de in and runnin?? i saw one on ebay for like 450. where did you find that bumper?

so no fender swap with that 91+ bumper??? thats what i'm talkin bout. my car is stright, no accidents or nuthin.

keep up the work on your silvia-oh, that climate control, whats the deal with gettin that workin in our US cars?

i hope you stick around our site cuz i now have alot of questions to bother you with
Old 09-17-2002, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

Talking Swappy!!!

The same guy was selling two SR20DE's on e-bay last week and the one pictured on my page was one of them that I won. It hasn't come in yet...any day now I can't wait! I'm hoping that I didn't get cheated and that the engine is in good condition and not blown or something. The swap you are talking about is simply a bumper swap. If you want a Silvia conversion then you have to change the fenders, hood and the bumper. The digital climate control will work in U.S. vehicles and I found out this little fact the hard way. Apparently, the digital climate control unit switches between heat and cold automatically which requires several servo units which the guy who sold me the thing forgot to mention (I have found a set though) whereas the U.S. climate controls have a lever which you slide manually to switch between heat and cold. I'm an amatuer tuner just trying to get his car in shape so I don't know much but if I can answer any questions for you then I will. Send or post a pic of your car if you can.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

Okay let me rephrase that. You don't NEED the fenders, the bumper will just bolt on. But when using the stock bumper it won't align perfectly you'll get a gap or something. I've seen someone explain it in more detail on freshalloy.....
Old 09-17-2002, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Hey positron, that's one nice bumper. It's aftermarket? What brand? Where can I get one? Got another question for you too. You bought a SR20DE? Why'd you buy one of those? If you just left out the "T" then nevermind.
Old 09-17-2002, 05:55 AM
Contributing Member

No he bought a natural sr20 jdm motor, no "t" at the end.

BTW if your gonna change the bumper you'll need the 2 pieces that go on the fender in the front, they add on the 91-93 fenders, this way you won't need a 2 new fenders.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member

well positron, most of us are just tuners or "enjoyers" of the 240, so don't feel like i just pegged you as an expert.--yeah, where can us ugly face owners get a bumper like you copped for your's?

hey Import, what are the two fener things you were talkin bout? let me know or post a pic or sumthin
Old 09-17-2002, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

those are the side pieces I was talking about. THey are not part of the bumper.
Attached Thumbnails 91 bumper on 90--how to???-mvc-009s.jpg  
Old 09-18-2002, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

okay i see. i did notice that extra line on Positrons bumper/fender. but hey, as long as my joint don't look like mine then i'll be happier. don't get me wrong cuz i love the look of my 90. just like the others better.

so Import, whats the deal with those anyway? i mean so those come off or will i have to purchase the other fenders to make the look complete?

thanks for the pic
Old 09-19-2002, 02:01 AM
Contributing Member

Arrow I see it now!

You guys finally answered my question about that fender part as well. I have looked at thousands of 240SX's and I noticed that fender extension and never knew exactly what it was or how to get one.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:58 AM
Contributing Member

Those pieces are removeable. They are not part of the fender, so they can be purchased separately, or if you know someone with a skirt kit from a 91+, they usually have to come off when the skirt kit goes on.
Old 09-19-2002, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

aight

Quick Reply: 91 bumper on 90--how to???