Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

Big Brembo kit for S14

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 11:14 AM

Thumbs up Big Brembo kit for S14

I've had these for a few months and decided to now post them. They are only for the front, 4 piston, 13.1" cross drilled and slotted rotors. Calipers are black. They are the "F40 brakes".

'96 w/o ABS

Install: Fairly straight forward. Just follow the directions. You have to cut the dust covers or I heard you can remove the hub and take them out. I just cut them with an old wire cutter. I probably lost 5 lbs of water weight doing it. Do not over tighten the fittings or they will crack. As that's what happened to me on the right side. Mounting brackets are provided. Don't forget to bleed the brakes. Oh yeah, you need 18" wheels or larger to clear the caliper.

Break In: As the instructions say, "perform 15-20 stops from 55 mph to 10 mph, using light pedal pressure" . After the stops, drive the car with little to no braking to cool them down. They are broken in when the rotor color is gray/blue. Color should be consistent. If not then do it again. At first you'll hear the "ch-ch-ch-ch" sound from the new pads. Eventually it will no longer be there. While braking them in, the right brass bracket, under the pins (that hold in the pads) popped out! I was like WTF! Luckily the pins stayed, keeping the pads in place. It also left a nice gash on my Works.

Road Test: I'm using the stock 240 master cylinder, have no ABS and have no probs. Astonishing. The car stops on a dime. It also locks well. Sometimes too well, even at low speeds. When it locks, it is a controlled lock, the car brakes straight. You can let off and the car rolls forward like you never stepped on the brake pedal. After bleeding the brakes, the pedal is a tad bit squishy, because the 240 MC. I've heard some use the Z32 one. I would not recommend them with these brakes unless you want to lock them all the time. I have a Wilwood proportion valve yet to be put in. I'd like to ease the pressure off the fronts to avoid locking when I don't need to, plus it's adjustable with the turn of a ****. I have aftermarket blanks in the rear. These pads leave a lot of dust, so I try and clean the rims 2x a month.

These brakes retail for a little under $3k. I got mine for a hell of a lot less, I promised not to say how much. I never took pics, but can when I get the car back.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Awesome reviewPost some pics up when you get the car back
Old 01-17-2004, 12:31 PM

I'll do that. Or when I have the meet, you all can see!

Old 01-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Even better haha!