Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

DIY coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 04:53 PM

DIY coilovers

I've been thinking about a cheap coilover setup, was wondering if anyone else tried this, and how well it performed. Student budget(1k for some tiens is too much, thas how much I got my 240)

A non adjustable set of tokico's and set of sleeve/collar coils. I know it would be pretty stiff cuz the coils got a linear spring rate. How well would these perform on a daily grind, maybe taking 90s turns at say 45, would anyone recommend doing this, the tag runs about $400 at most.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 PM

For street use. Spring shock setup is pretty good. I woulnd't suggest the sleeve over though. Just get regular springs. If you want height adjustability, just save your money for coilovers.

BTW - DONT buy tokico blues. Go with KYB AGX or Koni Yellows.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:31 PM

Whats wrong with Tokico blues? And why KYB AGX and Koni yellows?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:01 PM

Cuz tokico blues suck ***. life span is very short and non adjustable. Koni Yellows and bilistein's are the best shocks you can buy. KYB AGX are a bit cheaper and are adjustable. Same with the koni yellows, im sure the bilistein's are adjusable.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Contributing Member

Tokico Blues arent much better than stock. If anything, just get AGXs and some good, not so agreesive springs. And don't get sleeve over coilovers. They suck. Common combo is AGXs with S-Techs.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:54 AM

why's s tech's? i've only seen dress-up master flavors(only lower the car, near factory spring rate), spring rate wise they suk, all they do is drop, are h-techs any better?
Old 01-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Contributing Member

h-techs arent that much stiffer than stock either. S-techs are the stiffer tein Springs. The combo I said was just a common combo. I have a freind who runs Whiteline springs and some people run some Eibach springs on them too. Just nothing that will drop it more than like 1.5 inches on AGXs or too stiff because it'll prematurely wear the shocks. They're good intermediate shocks.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:13 PM

For the price I have allways like GAB. And they come with a lifetime warranty. If they ever fail all you have to do is send them in and they will replace it and send you new ones. But they dont have makers in the US so you have to send them back over seas. I have had them on my last 2 cars. Lasted a very long time and rode like stock with a 2 1/2 in. drop. Only thing is they are not height adjustable for the inexpensive ones. But they do have 4 point damper capabilities. And thier coilovers are the **** if you want to spend the $$$$.
I havent seen people using them on this forum. So they might not have much of a backing. Oh and coolest thing is that when i bought my S-13 sylvia clip they came with GAB's up front. So this will be another car equiped with them. Here is a link of one of few companies here in the states that carry them:

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/prod...ution.html</a>

Just another option.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Contributing Member

s-tech on ebay run for about 109 plus shipping. koni yellow or kyb agx. when you lower your car don't forget to get camber plates and rear control arms. I know you'd want your tires to last for a while. there's a thread on here about this subject. i'd post the link but i'm too lazy to look for it lol sorry.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:49 PM

Thats exactly the setup i have naptime. Koni yellows, tein pillowball mounts, rear camber arms, and tein s-techs. although im selling my s-techs and going for stiffer and lower springs.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, RSRs would work great with the Konis. S-techs are a little on the soft side for the Konis.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:22 PM

are tokico illuminas not good for the 240? i have had a good experience with them. i think the s-tech/illuminas is a pretty good set-up. they make illuminas for the 240 right? haven't seen them around
Old 01-08-2005, 05:40 AM
Contributing Member

Ebay sleeve/collar crap. They fit wrong, raise your car, and are a waste of money.

You mentioned the word "budget" and then you want somethign that'll turn on rails for about $400? I don't think that's enough for what you are looking for. The S-Tech/AGX combo is always recommended first because of the low price of the combination, and you're getting good parts - not some no-name brand.

For some more $, you could step the spring up to a set of RSR race. One of our guys just got a set of these in, and he drives his car hard. I had a set on my car for a bit... much better than the old S-Techs I had, much stiffer too.

anywhere past that, you're looking at coilover territory... not to knock on naptime's post, but for the price of set of springs (say RSR), good shocks (say Koni or Illumina), front and rear pillowball camber mounts (say Tein) you'd be spending too much... when you can get the same features + ride height adjust from a set of brand name full coilover
Old 01-09-2005, 05:28 PM
Contributing Member

They don't make the Illuminas for 240s. I was looking for them a while back, and none were made.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:15 PM

camber plates and control

I'm thinking about some rs-r's and some AGX stiffs... thx all for the helpful spats of experience. Question: the rs-r's i'm planning to get only drop the car bout an 1" to 1.4", do I really need the pillows or control arms. I know slamming the car throws the camber off and makes rubber sushi of ur tires, but near an inch wouldn't hurt would it?... anyone with this setup, comment?

PS: I drive hard (previous 4x4 owner/went mudding alot) and I love rain and snow... best times to practive oversteer)

sieji

Quick Reply: DIY coilovers