Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

INJEN air intake...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 06:33 PM

INJEN air intake...

Okay so i went to the local car shop here in fresno and they are selling this INJEN air intake for a 240sx 89-90 SOHC and heres the thing...its labled COLD AIR INTAKE on the box...What i've been hearing is that they don't make cold air intakes for a SOHC KA24E engine. I pulled it out and it looks alot like a short ram air intake. He claims its a cold air but damn it just goes right into the air box on the side nothing goes below the car...So..heres the thing its going for 209$ but i have a real strong gut feeling its a short ram. (I don't really care short ram or cold air cause i love the rain) so basically
"do they make cold air intakes for a SOHC KA24E engine?"

Thanks u guys are great!

Dante
Old 11-12-2004, 07:09 AM

Ur actually right, that is a short ram intake by Injen. Shop around tho cause that is pretty expensive. But they also make extensions for the Short Ram to make it into a Cold air. I think that runs 40 or 50 bucks.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:49 PM

i'm pretty sure you can get the extention on www.240sxshop.com

and hell go ebay if you need to... you dont need name brand its not that big of a power difference enyways as long as you swap it for the K&N filter
Old 11-12-2004, 05:49 PM

oops thats http://www.240sxstore.com/
Old 11-13-2004, 12:11 PM

Aren't most of those ebay intakes ($25-$60) only 2.5" piping while AEM ($150ish) and Injen ($200+) are 3"?

Something to think about... I'm planning on getting an AEM short ram for my 24DE....
Old 11-13-2004, 01:16 PM

i think you're right... but then again you get what you pay for, and AEM is tested and does show a significant power gain, worth the extra cash
Old 11-13-2004, 06:46 PM

yeah, the cheap ones are 2.5"
Old 11-14-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, let me tell you guys a funny story about AEM intakes. I went to a dyno day and a TSX went to get a dyno. He brought his stock intake along to see the increase in hp he got from his AEM one. SO he dynos with his AEM one first. Then he puts on his stock intake on. It showed that with the stoick intake on, he lost 2hp and gained 2ft-lbs. SO basically he spent a bunch of money for an intake that only was shown to work past 6k rpms. He stock intake w/o the resonator was almost as good as the AEM one. Only reason to get an intake would be if you have other already done to the engine, such as header, exhaust system, etc to get it breathing better. And if you want the inatke sound. just cut your airbox, it's free
Old 11-15-2004, 12:09 AM

hmmm i got the intake. If n-e thing i'll sell it when the engine goes. I knew from the start it wasn't going to be like adding a turbo charger in the truck engine (sarcasm) i still like it. It's all black i've never seen that color before. Mmmm im happy plus got some ngk spark plug wires. So im happy as for the intake. Man this guy will say anything to sell a product. Lol hmmm its his job soo...n-e ways overall im happy with the purchase
Old 11-15-2004, 12:11 AM

hey i know this is random but how do i get a cool name instead of junior member?
Old 11-17-2004, 06:21 PM

i got a question. i jewed out and bought a filter and MAF adapter plate. now my question is what the hell do you guys do with the IAT sensor on the stock box? do you just unplug it and everything is kosher? or remove it from the box and tape it near the filter?
Old 11-19-2004, 06:05 AM

i refuse to believe that a bigger intake pipe will make more power. the 3" vs. the 2.5" pipe. it would just bottleneck at the throttle body anyway. does anybody know its diameter? i do think that a polished metal pipe would be better than the plastic one, although not significantly. and what little you gain from that would be lost by it weighting a tad more. $200 - $300 (or even more) is ridiculous for just a shiny pipe and a better filter. i think the way to go is just a good cone filter to replace the stock air box, or the k&n drop in rectangle filter for the air box and just pull out the pipe underneath the box.

no way an intake can make these numbers they show
http://www.2kracing.com/information/aem_dyno.html

+12hp on a 100hp focus? no way.

i think the +2hp -2ft-lbs is more believable
Old 11-19-2004, 07:21 AM

good question... how big is the throttle body? I thought I read somewhere that is is 3" and that's why the 2.5" pipes suck because they have to step down.... but i could be wrong...

anyone want to correct me on this?

I mean if the throttle body is only 2.5" then hell with it, I'll get an ebay pipe and throw a K&N on it.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:10 PM

the bigger intake pipe creates more velocity, it's not to get more air. the pipe is tuned and sized to create more velocity and charge the incoming air.

BTW i put the filter on today. that with the resistor mod pulls nicely and sounds good. not bad for under $25
Old 11-19-2004, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

You can always bore out your TB and port and polish it a bit if you want more performance too.

Quick Reply: INJEN air intake...