Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

KYB AGX/S-Techs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:10 PM

KYB AGX/S-Techs

I know its a common theme among cheap asses like me but still.

Just thought i'd say if your looking for a starting suspension, something a little stiffer than stock this is a great setup. I Recently put mine on two days ago and the ride is great. Took about 3 hours all together with two people. I can set it to rise like a luxury car or i can set it super stiff. As far as the drop goes it def. isnt as much as i would want but it is a lot more than i expected. Nice clean drop. I stay well on the ground more and it seems to cut down on the backend skipping out on bumpy turns. Handeling has improved greatly.

If doing this set-up make sure to buy new boots cause it makes it a hell of a lot easier. And reuse the stock bumpstops in the rear shocks. Otherwise your body will slam against the shock.

All in all a nice set-up for the price. Avg. $ is about 500-600 shipped.
Old 01-09-2005, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet!! Rock on cheap asses everywhere!!

I'm getting the same exact setup on my S13 240sx. I've already order the S-Techs. they cost me 130 shipped. Now I'm just sourcing out where to buy the AGX shocks from! Cool to see that someone else has done this. I'll post as soon as I get it done on here and what I think of it! C-Walk where did you buy your's from?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

Tirerack.com sells em pretty cheap. You might be able to get em cheaper from eBay however.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't use the word "cheap" for this setup - more like "bang for the buck".
Old 01-10-2005, 08:48 AM

alright well in comparison to Tein He coilovers and the EDFC its cheap. You can be cheaper and cut the springs. But i got them off Ebay through Kamura? racing or something like that.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by C-Walk
alright well in comparison to Tein He coilovers and the EDFC its cheap. You can be cheaper and cut the springs. But i got them off Ebay through Kamura? racing or something like that.
FYI before you confuse people (LOL) Tein HE's don't work with EDFC - that's one of the reasons why I switched to Tein Flex.

And so true - You can get a set of AGX/S-Tech for about $475 out the door, but there's less adjustments compared to full coilovers so the price comparison isn't fair

When I said "don't refer to the setup as cheap" I meant it in a good way because I personally think the setup is great.

cut springs =
Old 01-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Right now I can get a set of AGX springs for 350 shipped. Trying to still maybe find a lower price though. If I buy them at 350 then I spent 130 on tein s tech + 350 on AGX = $480 for a brand spanking new suspension. Not bad says I.

Edit: FRUCK!! I forgot to consider the price of camber. TBD
Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM

nice i'm thinkin of doin that 2! u got pics to show how the drop looks like?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:08 PM

I would rather spend an additional $400 for the tien suspension it is built to perfection and last much longer and is much more durable. If you do alot of drifting the AGX will only last half the life that the tiens would last. For $899.00 through stillen that is a deal. Especially when you see jerks on ebay selling it for $1200 with shipping. AGX for the price does get the job done. Just thought I'd give my 2cent's.

Last edited by BigVinnie; 01-10-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
I would rather spend an additional $400 for the tien suspension it is built to perfection and last much longer and is much more durable. If you do alot of drifting the AGX will only last half the life that the tiens would last. For $899.00 through stillen that is a deal. Especially when you see jerks on ebay selling it for $1200 with shipping. AGX for the price does get the job done. Just thought I'd give my 2cent's.
Checking the Stillen site (which, as a former SE-R owner, we'd refer to as $tillen) the only Tein's I see for that price are Tein Basics, which aren't damper-adjustable, do not allow for shock length adjustment (like the higher end Flex) nor come with pillowball mounts.

Yet for $900 ($899, whatever) you can walk out the door somewhere with a set of RSR ti2000's, KYB AGX's, and Tein Front & Rear pillowball mounts. You'd have 4/8-way damper adjustment, front camber adjustment, and a more rigid mounting (pillowballs).

I agree though about "if you do a lot of drifting..." statement, but AGX weren't designed for that purpose, unlike Tein Super Drift coilovers, etc.

Your $0.02 + my $0.02 = 4 LOL
Old 01-10-2005, 11:35 PM

Any one who thinks Kamura Racing is offering good deals on ebay..........You would be seriously trippin. LOL, Shipping charge is a biotch.
I'll Buy That for a Dollar...LOL
Bad phrase from "Robo Cop", I'll just keep it to my own 2cents
Old 01-10-2005, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by l2aine

Yet for $900 ($899, whatever) you can walk out the door somewhere with a set of RSR ti2000's, KYB AGX's, and Tein Front & Rear pillowball mounts. You'd have 4/8-way damper adjustment, front camber adjustment, and a more rigid mounting (pillowballs).

I agree though about "if you do a lot of drifting..." statement, but AGX weren't designed for that purpose, unlike Tein Super Drift coilovers, etc.

A man that knows his drifting research. I admire that. Big Pimpin Playa.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:41 AM

I personally like the kyb tein stech combo...cause i got it lol, mmm 4 way adjustable and 8 way in the rear not bad for such a good deal. Ebay is defientely the place!
Old 01-11-2005, 03:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by BigVinnie
A man that knows his drifting research. I admire that. Big Pimpin Playa.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

my 240 cents

The lowest that I could find a set of Tein Coilovers that I would buy is about 1,300 on ebay for a set of Tein Flex Type. Plus I would have to buy the EDFC controller for it because I'm lazy and that's a huge reason why I like that setup. But the EDFC is $400 by itself so your looking at a combined total of 1,700. My total with Stechs + AGX for approx. 500. Then figure like maybe $300 for RUCA's and camber plates. So for like $800 or less (if I don't get the camber plates in the front and just use the adjustment screw) I have a decent suspension that will last me for a while.

I rarely try to drift because I have no LSD.
So I practice grip style racing. Drifting without any LSD is simply not drifting in my opinion. Add into that that I don't have money to spend on tires and a new clutch, so I very rarely pull the e-brake handle. Right now I need a suspension that
1. Is lower (not like slammed) than stock config.
2. Is stiffer.
3. Has some adjustment capabilities so I can play around a bit.

The AGX/S-Techs supply me with those so I'll save that $900 dollars on my suspension and source out a good LSD.

Quick Reply: KYB AGX/S-Techs