Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

Nismo short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 12:56 AM

the throws on the b&m shifter are pretty short.
but the shifting is very precise.
i find it hard to miss gears.
the helper springs inside the housing always return the shifter to center and 3rd and 4th are just straight up and down from there.
shifting is very quick and smooth motion, gates feel really tight.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:24 PM

yyup yup man, thats the whole point of short shifter. shorter throws, my friend has this RSX- type s and he put short shifter in and dam! his shifts are crazy short, but he can also adjust how short his throw can be with a little pin under the boot. tight as hell if you ask me.

Joey
Old 07-24-2005, 03:56 PM

rattling

do you guys with a B&M shifter have the infamous rattling? i just got my 5 speed swap done(check out my cardomain page in my sig.) and i chose the B&M shifter...i emailed the ebay store that i bought it from and they told me it was the revised version and supposedly B&M fixed the rattling problem and made a newer revised version. just wondering if any of you guys have the newer version and if it actually doesnt have the rattling/noisy issue...thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2005, 03:57 PM

i'm thinkin about just getting rid of the B&M and picking up a Nismo shifter...any input?? thanks again
Old 07-24-2005, 05:16 PM

I've read that the new revised B&M has reduced some of the rattling, but some does still remain...there is a fix from another forum though...

the main problem with the short shifter rattling is the metal on metal contact from a few small objects, to be exact the spring and washer that in the meta sleeve inside a metal housing, and your engine and tranny will move at higher RPMs and sending the vibrations to the shifter itself.

so what you need to do is stop the metal from touching each other:

and heres how you do it:

1. first remove the the nessecary pieces to get at shifter
2. get a small bowl (disposible) and squeze garage door opener grease.
3. take out the sleeves, washers and springs, take them apart and just rub and smear all the greese into and ontop of the small pieces
4. smear a little grease in the metal housing on the shifter
5. re assemble
6. drive
Old 07-24-2005, 07:45 PM

thanks for the reply...has anyone tried this? do you think it'll work? what forum was that from? thanks again
Old 07-25-2005, 01:17 AM

it's from 240sxforums.com, dunno if it works first hand
Old 08-29-2005, 11:06 AM

Super short shifter

Aight this might sound crazy but: You know that "nismo solid shifter" the actual shifter comes in two pieces... the lower part with the ball and the upper part with a heavy metal cylinder, Well a friend of mine managed to use only the lower half of the solid shifter. The shift lever is pretty much 4-5 inches total... the sick part is that your hand kinda goes below the bezel/shift boot... it's sick... and sometimes i can't even tell which gear i'm in, the longest throw from like 1st-2nd gear is no longer than 1/2 an inch ><... if i get a chance i'll post pics. He took a shift **** from a junkyard, drilled where it would screw on to match the diameter of the lower part of the shift **** and just screwed it on.

~eji
Old 08-31-2005, 01:35 AM

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=772

Nismo Short Shifter for the 240sx 89-98. This is made by C's of Japan. If you haven't heard of C's short shifters they are good quality.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:37 AM

hell ya they do! they look dam sexy, well at least the black ones lol to each his own right?

Joey
Old 09-05-2005, 10:45 AM

talkin about the seats ^
Old 09-07-2005, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by bruinlax22
thanks for the reply...has anyone tried this? do you think it'll work? what forum was that from? thanks again
worked for me.

Originally posted by Sieji
Aight this might sound crazy but: You know that "nismo solid shifter" the actual shifter comes in two pieces... the lower part with the ball and the upper part with a heavy metal cylinder, Well a friend of mine managed to use only the lower half of the solid shifter. The shift lever is pretty much 4-5 inches total... the sick part is that your hand kinda goes below the bezel/shift boot... it's sick... and sometimes i can't even tell which gear i'm in, the longest throw from like 1st-2nd gear is no longer than 1/2 an inch ><... if i get a chance i'll post pics. He took a shift **** from a junkyard, drilled where it would screw on to match the diameter of the lower part of the shift **** and just screwed it on.

~eji
i would definatly like to see some pictures of this. just curious
Old 09-07-2005, 06:37 PM

oo yea need pics of that! ASAP!

Joey
Old 09-13-2005, 05:48 PM

I got the fidanza short shifter. It will pop up every once in a while on E-bay but you can see it on the fidanza web site. All the hardware goes in easily and they seem to be of good quality. I installed it a few weeks ago but had to take it out so I could break-in a new clutch. I really like it, the throws are pretty short and precise. There is very little vibration, it is not audible nor is it distracting. Like some have said, at first I couldn't even tell I was in gear. The shifter feels pretty solid and precise. Around $90 shipped and I am pleased with the part.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 AM

the nismo seats remind me of 90-93 integra seats, right down to the lumbar
support....

sorry for being off topic.

back to topic,

wouldn't that be dangerous if you can't even tell if you are in gear or not?

Quick Reply: Nismo short shifter