Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

rear subframe issue (aka K-member)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:41 PM

rear subframe issue (aka K-member)

Just wanted to ask a questoin about a certain product that maybe someone has experianced in the past. I am a technician at a Nissan dealer and am currently addressing all the flaws with my '95 before I even consider the swap, and I'm almost there. The last problem I face before I install the limited slip is my rear sub frame, also known as the k-member. I know for a fact, because I work on Nissans for a living, that there is no way to replace just the bushings on the subframe, the whole subframe has to be replaced. The worn bushings create a very loud "clunk" noise under load or even going over speed bumps. The noise could be compaired to the sound a bowling ball would make that is just rolling around in your trunk. I would like to know if anyone has tried to use Kazama'a sub frame spacers, which would appear to eliminate the need for the bushings, but also look like they would take the play out of the frame. If anyone has tried it plase let me know about your experiance. I am going to order mine this week regardless. Thanks for any help or advice.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:52 PM

no one knows what im talking about, haha. well when i figure it out i will respond to a similar question someday.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 PM

Im on the same boat!!

I have the same problem. please email me at vbgambini@aol.com. I go to NC State and I see that you are in NC as well. Please e mail me asap to see if we can talk about how to fix this problem with the 95 240sx. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:11 PM

I replied to the email you left in the post. Just responding to this one too since I have not heard anything from you since the email I sent.
Old 02-26-2005, 07:55 PM

Can you send that email again? I never got it. Thanks
Old 02-27-2005, 12:26 PM

I sent the email again. Let me know if you don't get it again. It was never sent back to me so it went somewhere. I used the email you left.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:36 PM

Might be an old post but oh well.....I'm fairly sure you're right about replacing the whole rear subframe (you ARE a nissan technician..) There are several companies that make "subframe collars/spacers", which eliminate the clunking (my problem was HORRIBLE). Like you said, under any load (ex. shifting from one gear to another), the rear would feel as if it were lagging and once the rear subframe and the rest of the car would come into contact, a loud clunk would happen. I went with a company call Techno Toy Tuning. I did look into the Kazama subframe spacers. I couldn't imagine how differerent designs could be nor could much of a difference there could be between each company. Kazama is a great company but....T3 sold their subframe collar for around 60 dollars? It eliminated any play whatsoever in the rear subframe...just don't overtorque any of the bolts........

Installation was VERY easy. You probably have access to more sophisicated tools...haha...

I live in Charlotte, NC and I go to school at CofC so that'd be STRAIGHT if we meet up sometime. Ever see a black s14 with gold wheels....?
Old 03-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Hey, once again i know this is old, but i think im having the same problem, especially like when i hit a little bump or anything the back end sways bigtime and makes a noise, its almost like it comes undone or something....im thinking what ur talking about may help my problem, unless anyone else knows what this is???
I went one T3's website but didnt see anything about the spacers, were they custom made? or did u just have to call them? any help will be appreciated, thanks..
Old 04-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

my cars like cluncks when i hit the smallest bump is this the problem i dont feel anything wrong with the handeling just the noise ????
Old 08-24-2005, 03:31 AM

sorry for raising the old thread again

i dont have loud thumps or clunks, but when i try to accelerate out of a turn or power over the rear end rumbles...could these spacers fix the problem?
Old 08-24-2005, 05:45 AM

xedendau there is a black s14 here at State with gold wheels, that aint you is it? its always parked in front of the coliseum if that makes ne sense to you.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 PM

ITS ME, IM BACK. I DIDN'T THINK ANYONE WOULD FIND THIS. I HAVEN'T LOGGED ON FOR MONTHS. TO REPLY TO "DRIFTORDIETRYIN" YES THIS WOULD ALSO BE A LIKELY CAUSE. I WOULD CHECK YOUR SHOCKS/STRUTS, MAKE SURE THEY AREN'T BLOWN. SEEING THAT YOU ONLY HEAR IT OVER BUMPS INDICATS TO ME THAT YOU MAY HAVE A BLOWN STRUT ISSUE, CHECK THAT FIRST. TO REPLY TO SCSI, THAT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A RELATED ISSUE TO THE SUB FRAME ISSUE. IF YOU ARE IN THE CHARLOTTE AREA I WOULDNT MIND LOOKING AT IT FOR YOU. NOW TO "VBGAMBINI", NO I DRIVE A GOLD 240 WITH FACTORY WHEELS AND FACTORY FRONT LIP. OTHER THAN THAT I HAVE MADE NO EXTERIOR IMPORVEMENTS. IM WORKING ON PERFORMANCE FIRST. LOOKS WILL COME LATER WHEN IM DONE ROASTING GAS GUZZLIN V-8S. I WOULDNT MIND HANGING OUT SOME TIME. EMAIL ME "PRJKT240@YAHOO.COM. I WOULD POST MY NUMBER BUT GET THE FEELING I WOULD GET A LOT OF PRANK CALLS. HOPE THIS HELPS ANYONE WHO MIGHT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. JUST TO UPDATE EVERYONE I HAVE INSTALLED THE KAZAMA SUB FRAME SPACERS. THE CLUNK IS GONE AND INSTALL WAS ONLY 10 MIN. WITH THE USE OF A LIFT. YOU CAN PICK THEM UP AT OPTIONIMPRORTS.COM OTHER THAN MESSING UP THE SHIPPING ADDRESS IT WAS A PLEASURE WORKING WITH THEM. I WILL RETURN TO OPTIONIMPORTS.COM IN THE NEAR FURUTUR. THEY HAVE VERY COMPETTITIVE PRICING AND A 240/SYLVIA SECTION JUST FOR US 240 OWNERS.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 PM

wut up man. i just got back to the forumns as well. i wanted to check that sound too in my car, im also getting a clunk noise when i turn like getting out of parking spaces. but i have the tein flex on my car that i had on for about a year now so it cant be those. help me out. you said 10 min to change the spacers? wow thats crazy. hit me up. vbgambini@aol.com in raleigh
Old 01-20-2006, 04:39 PM

Sorry to drag this thread up, but I'm new here, so the thread is new to me. I just got a 95 SE and the bushings were replaced before I got it. I was at the Nissan dealer when he was trying to get them. Nissan doesn't have a part # for them, just as you said, but the parts guy gave my buddy a phone number for Nissan Motorsports (not Nismo). Nismo actually makes them and he ordered them through Nissan Motorsports. I can get the part # and all that if you are interested.

Bill
Old 01-20-2006, 05:50 PM

i just ordered SLP spacers for 60$ on ebay. thanks. but id like to know the info anyways. where u located at?

Quick Reply: rear subframe issue (aka K-member)