Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

Tein HA

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Talking Tein HA

I hope this will sway some of you guys who are looking for a solution for shocks/springs or entry-level coilovers.

I have a set of Tein HAs on my 1993 SE Coupe. I have had them on the car for two months now. The car is my weekend driver. I occasionally drive the car to work.

I have logged close to 1000 miles on them.

The first 500 were rough. The springs and shocks were still stiff as hell. The ride was horrible. I was nicknamed bounce. The car stopped the hip-hop around 500 miles.

The ride improved from then on. It then felt like a car with improved shocks and springs compared to the old setup.

I finally started to mess with damper settings last week. I felt that the front end had a little too much play. I have set the dampers on 5 (of 16) in the front and have left the rears at 0.

I drove 300 miles with the car set up this way. I really enjoy the setup. The car dives into turns harder and holds my lines better. I think I will go another 200 miles or so before I stiffen it some more. I will also most likely turn up the rears when I stiffen the fronts up some more.

Here are my current settings:

Front: Both main and helper spring.
Rear: Mainspring alone (I am going to install the helper when I work on the car)

Front: Level 5 of 16
Rear: Level 0 or 16

Both Front and Rear are about 7 threads from the bottom of the shock body. I am going to rework the suspension soon. Sways, strut bars, pillow ***** and re-organization of the coil springs.

More posts will hit the site as the work continues.
Old 09-26-2002, 04:00 PM

try doing this...
go to say 4 in front and 14 at the rear..
tell me how you like the setting..
=)
Old 09-26-2002, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

At that rating he will lose his tail the whole time and his own tail would hurt a lot more.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Stanbo, why no helper in the rear?
Old 09-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rudeboy
Stanbo, why no helper in the rear?
Explain helper? I am lost. Like when I drive in the Bronx.
Old 09-26-2002, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

you said you olny use the main spring in the rear. i'm curious to know why no helper spring.
isnt the helper spring like 3 or 4 inches uncompressed? i'd figure that would affect your rear suspension travel.

especially on NY's tore-up streets
Old 09-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Contributing Member

you said you olny use the main spring in the rear. i'm curious to know why no helper spring.
isnt the helper spring like 3 or 4 inches uncompressed? i'd figure that would affect your rear suspension travel.

especially on NY's tore-up streets
Whoops I have been screwed up all day. Allergies are kicking my ***.

The helper was not installed by the TEIN authorized dealer who sold them to me.

There is a set of tuners out there that aggreed with the installation. The setup is linear not the progressive that it would be if the helper was on there in the rear.

I am going to install the coils to TEIN's settings per their instructions when I install the Pillowball mounts.
Old 09-26-2002, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

i like progressive on good springs. so how is the ride sonce your rear setting is at 0? i never heard of installs like that on coilovers, thats why i asked. but if it works then it works. thats my therory
Old 09-26-2002, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Import Fanatix
At that rating he will lose his tail the whole time and his own tail would hurt a lot more.

that is the whole point..
that would be a pretty good drift setup....
Old 09-27-2002, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

i like progressive on good springs. so how is the ride sonce your rear setting is at 0? i never heard of installs like that on coilovers, thats why i asked. but if it works then it works. thats my therory
The ride is like improved stock when at zero. Car still has plenty of play. It is most bearable when driving to work.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

i guess the main thing is you have alittle predictabilty. the riide is probaly improver 10x over stock.

i think i like the teins cuz of $$$$ and adjustability. seems like a good entry leval package with lots of potential. like you said in another thread though- the perches like to rust.
not feelin that, but i wont drive the rs13 in the snow anymore.

i can deal with a stiff *** ride

almost like my but is touchin the road
Old 09-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Bagged you again RUDE!!! In SCC there is an article on TEIN. They are making shocks especially for the east coast weather. The threads are painted black.

Give the mag a peek.
Old 09-27-2002, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

look i just happened to read it again last night. but if i'm not mistaken its for FLEX system.

thought you had me
Old 09-28-2002, 08:01 AM

F this F that
is the Flex really all that
Old 09-28-2002, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

look i just happened to read it again last night. but if i'm not mistaken its for FLEX system.

thought you had me
Still got you. I didn't say what system they were for. I just said they were being made for the East Coast.

Quick Reply: Tein HA