Service, Parts & Tuning Review Post your service, part & tuning reviews here. Vendors can also use this forum to make product announcements and post review/results from thier product.

What is the best LSD for a S13?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:53 PM

Oh yeah I remember one thing Pete told me about his quaife.

If it has no torque to sense it will spin like an open diff. There is a trick to get it torque that is used by offroad guys when one wheel is stuck up in the air.

They apply emergency brake while hitting the gas to give the rear a sense of torque. Then the wheel that is actually touching the ground starts to move.
yep, that's correct. big reason why offroaders and rallyers don't use gear-type.

You are wrong about the r200v differencials. I own a r200v from a 180sx. It has 5 bolt output shafts. I bought a rear subframe to secure the axles that matched up to these shafts. So they have 5 bolts. I can supply you pictures if you would like.
that seems odd, unless it was a kouki 180SX, which i'm not 100% familiar with. zenki and chuuki should be 6-bolt. unless the guy in Japan had a non-VLSD 180SX and dropped in a NA Z32 diff, but that's a bit of a long-shot
S14 rear ends and J30 rear ends have two studs unlike the S13 4 stud covers. I can give you pictures of these as well. My friend Paul installed a J30 rear in his S14 with no mods.
yeah i forgot about that. for those diffs into an S13 you just switch the 2-bolt VLSD cover with your stock Open-Diff 4-bolt cover. my bad still the same unit as US-market, no need to go "JDM-tyte" or whatnot
Old 08-16-2003, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

It was supposedly from a 1996 180sx but I don't know the cereal name of the body.

I like stuff that works.

If it comes from japan then that is cool.

I did get one JDM TYTE item. My trunk lock. But my old one was broken so I split it 50/50.

Most of the stuff I get is to replace broken items. Or stuff I have outgrown.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:09 PM

yeah a '96 is a Kouki 180SX (94-98 180SX are kouki. 91-93 = chuuki, 89-90 = zenki). didn't think they were 5-bolt but i'm not as familiar with those years so it might have been.

and yeah the "JDM" craze has gotten a bit annoying (thanks in large part to Super Street *shudder*). i do like the S13 JDM nose though (i dislike pop-ups in general though). i wish more US companies made stuff for our cars. Centerline makes some very nice high-quality wheels but the style on them is a bit MEH, looks better on muscle cars than sports car. One big reason I'm gonna buy from Battle Version when I have the dough to get suspension links, it's an American company that makes nice stuff
Old 08-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jsquared
yeah a '96 is a Kouki 180SX (94-98 180SX are kouki. 91-93 = chuuki, 89-90 = zenki). didn't think they were 5-bolt but i'm not as familiar with those years so it might have been.

and yeah the "JDM" craze has gotten a bit annoying (thanks in large part to Super Street *shudder*). i do like the S13 JDM nose though (i dislike pop-ups in general though). i wish more US companies made stuff for our cars. Centerline makes some very nice high-quality wheels but the style on them is a bit MEH, looks better on muscle cars than sports car. One big reason I'm gonna buy from Battle Version when I have the dough to get suspension links, it's an American company that makes nice stuff
I am going to keep my pop ups. I love them. You can send me yours when you are done with them

I do not have the skill to warrent rear suspension links as of yet. I want to give myself 6 months with the ATS before I get another upgrade.
Old 08-17-2003, 11:14 PM

i'm basically sticking with what my budget allows... which at the moment is precisely nil trying to scrape together enough money to get a VLSD (stupid college expenses and food and stuff )... which is killing me because last i saw (like 2 weeks ago) Phase2Motortrend was selling the "old-style" Kaaz 1.5-way for $750 or something ("new style" (the Solid LSD) is like $900).
Old 08-18-2003, 01:30 AM

umm im sorry stan but wats ats?
Old 08-18-2003, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Jsquared
i'm basically sticking with what my budget allows... which at the moment is precisely nil trying to scrape together enough money to get a VLSD (stupid college expenses and food and stuff )... which is killing me because last i saw (like 2 weeks ago) Phase2Motortrend was selling the "old-style" Kaaz 1.5-way for $750 or something ("new style" (the Solid LSD) is like $900).
You do have a SR right? I am surprised you are doing drivetrain after it. I thought the SR would be the straw to break my back. I am leaving it for last. Maybe like a year or two.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by WILDACEXXX
umm im sorry stan but wats ats?
ATS is a company that makes differencials.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:04 AM

dispite the lil part where someone got a lil offended yall worked it out and created one of the most informative lsd posts i have seen.. so yalll gettin heated helped me and in the end yall are kool and just still lovin cars.. much koo yall mucho koo i love dees forums
Old 08-24-2003, 06:16 AM

HOLY FREAKING CRAP THERE IS AN ASSLOAD OF INCORRECT INFORMATION IN THIS THREAD
ok where can i get the either 5 bolt out put shaft r the 6 bolt half shafts? and whats a real price to pay for this. also how do i tell if a junk yard 240 has lsd. or if a 300zx vlsd is from the na version or not.. i think i need just pics
Old 08-24-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by needasr20
ok where can i get the either 5 bolt out put shaft r the 6 bolt half shafts? and whats a real price to pay for this. also how do i tell if a junk yard 240 has lsd. or if a 300zx vlsd is from the na version or not.. i think i need just pics
I am taking my VLSD to chinatown now to sell it I will take pictures of it before I pass it off.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:47 PM

You do have a SR right? I am surprised you are doing drivetrain after it.
haha, i'm still kinda second-guessing myself should i have gotten a stock running-KA 240SX and put on a Kaaz 1.5-way and coilovers, or done what i did and get a stock blown-engine 240 with near-stock SR? oh well, when i get VLSD on there i think that will help make my mind up about liking the extra ~70 rwHP i'd have over a stock KA

ok where can i get the either 5 bolt out put shaft r the 6 bolt half shafts? and whats a real price to pay for this. also how do i tell if a junk yard 240 has lsd. or if a 300zx vlsd is from the na version or not..
the 5-bolt output shafts can be gotten either from a junkyard or Nissan dealer, but you have to open the pumpkin and pull out the VLSD to change 'em (i think, not sure), which can be a bit of a hassle. the halfshafts also can be found in a junkyard or at the dealer, but i'm not sure which ones match up never paid attention to that stuff, i just planned on searching and scrounging around like a madman to find a 6-bolt one so i don't have to deal with all that as for junkyard hunting, S14's with 5-lug and ABS and a "V" in the VIN number have VLSD. S13 fastbacks with SuperHICAS (sticker in front of rear fender on the trim stripe, or the HICAS warning light on the dash) have VLSD. all Infiniti J30s have VLSD ('95-'96 are the ones with 6-bolt shafts) but a different final drive (3.92:1 vs. our 4.08:1). NA Z32s all have them as well, but 5-bolt output shafts. the twin-turbo VLSD is too big (different unit), not sure about visual differences but it won't fit a 240SX. and then there's the issue of having to switch the cover off your S13 onto the VLSD you install if it's an S14/j30 diff, and those need longer bolts for the forward mounts too i believe... erg, forget what else, brain is tired

P.S. found out recently that Stan was right about the JDM VLSDs, they do have 5-bolt output shafts (definately on the kouki (94-98) 180SX, maybe on the chuuki (91-93)). my bad man but basically, aside from some of the shaft/casing differences, the S13USDM/S14USDM/S13JDM/S14JDM/j30/Z32-NA VLSDs all have identical internals

Last edited by Jsquared; 08-26-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

No problem.

I went with a running 240sx and I am upgrading as I go along. I like the running ka with the upgrades then moving to a SR later. It will compliment the car and my skill rather then have the car play catch-up to it.
Old 08-28-2003, 05:07 AM

one last ? for you guys.. a aftermarket two way lsd fits into the none lsd pumkin of my stock 240 right... reason i ask is b/c with the new pumkin i would have to buy for a vlsd and then the axles that i'll have to change.. wouldnt it be easier and more cost effective to just get an aftermarket one.. peace sorry guys i'm stupiid
Old 08-28-2003, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by needasr20
one last ? for you guys.. a aftermarket two way lsd fits into the none lsd pumkin of my stock 240 right... reason i ask is b/c with the new pumkin i would have to buy for a vlsd and then the axles that i'll have to change.. wouldnt it be easier and more cost effective to just get an aftermarket one.. peace sorry guys i'm stupiid
Answer 1: You are not stupid.

Answer 2: I run an aftermarket Action Traction Service (ATS) 2 way differencial which was built for an open r200 differencial (the diff in your 240sx).

Answer 3: I sold my vlsd (R200V) for $400 with axles. It was a complete bolt on. My ATS ran me $900 plus $350 installation.

I got the ats from DGTrials. They are the guys that run the local drift events and co-run Hyperfest.

I competed with the ATS last night and it was worth every penny.

I will find some pics as they are posted. Hopefully someone took some shots of me.

You are not stupid.

Quick Reply: What is the best LSD for a S13?