Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

93 240sx

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:51 PM

93 240sx

Start off with some pics:

This is a 1993 240sx LE, w/ Super HICAS

The Bad:

The Real Bad:

Can that stuff even be fixed? Looks pretty damn rusted to me.

Plus I'm pretty sure the underbody isn't any better if not worse. So I'm guessing most of the suspension is fubar'd or in need of serious work.
The Good:

It has 180,211km or so, which is about 112,000 miles.
The previous owner was a female and also the first owner, which happened to be my aunt so I got it for free. :thumbsup
The interior is almost perfect with some minor rust on the speakers on the doors.
It made a 2,533 mile roadtrip in 48 hours with NO problems at all, so I'm assuming it running pretty good.

Plans:
Honestly I have no clue..what do you guys think?
Is the rust even worth my time or money to fix it all?
Any suggestions on how to get rid of all that engine bay rust without killing anything?

I'll probably go three routes:
1. Drive it til it all falls apart without really fixing anything up at all.
2. Since there is quite a bit of rust on the engine or on most pieces in the engine bay, I have an excuss to get a engine swap.
3. Just go to a junkyard and find some front clip of a crashed 240sx KA, replace all the ****ty rusted parts on my car from the crashed or junked 240, then work totally on suspension and rust (body work), w/o touching the motor.

The Better:

That's my daily so atleast I have something to drive if I do plan to fix it. :yummy
Old 11-27-2005, 03:22 PM

alright you have a daily driver and you got a free 240 of course it's worth it to fix it.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member

before you do anything go to your nearest costco grab a case of bawls and a few cartons of marborlo lights (even if you dont smoke)...then take the next few days off of work and read the technical discussions from begining to end...then go to www.zilvia.net and maybe even www.club4ag.com and learn everything you can about 240s...then after you have read everything...ask whatever questions you have (after searching of course) and when yo think you are ready...tear down the car...take out the motor and all the suspension components plus the subframe and ****...look everything over ad in the process clean it all...then make a list of what you have to replace and replace them with those high quality aftermarket products you read about. then make a list of what you want (even though you dont have to replace them)...save up get them and be glad you started off wit the greatest car ever the RMS13 (M is KA24DE rite?)...lol
Old 11-27-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by Ayuaddict
before you do anything go to your nearest costco grab a case of bawls and a few cartons of marborlo lights (even if you dont smoke)...then take the next few days off of work and read the technical discussions from begining to end...then go to www.zilvia.net and maybe even www.club4ag.com and learn everything you can about 240s...then after you have read everything...ask whatever questions you have (after searching of course) and when yo think you are ready...tear down the car...take out the motor and all the suspension components plus the subframe and ****...look everything over ad in the process clean it all...then make a list of what you have to replace and replace them with those high quality aftermarket products you read about. then make a list of what you want (even though you dont have to replace them)...save up get them and be glad you started off wit the greatest car ever the RMS13 (M is KA24DE rite?)...lol
Thanks for the battle plan. I'll probably do it in a few days.

Anyone want to humor me with a rough estimate on the parts assuming I do all labor.

From what I've seen the frame rails and such are pretty rusted, but I guess I can get it welded.

I guess I need to decide if I spend more than 3k if it's worth it to fix it all (but probably fix it better than any stock one) or spend less and get a moving shell or something....o well..time to rob a bank.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

how do you get so much rust if you live in cali?...i live in the bay area and i havent seen so much rust on one car...
Old 11-27-2005, 07:02 PM

luckkyy...free 240..... yeah i'm glad u are taking the fix it first approach instead of the "how much is an sr20 swap gonna cost" haha build her up right if u decide to put money into it. and if not gEt SiDeWaYz!!!
Old 11-27-2005, 09:47 PM

It's from Canada, GG.

Yea honestly I was thinking of a swap in the beginning, perhaps RB since the everything in the damn thing is pretty much rusted anyways. However, the body and such is a prority and I have a feeling if I do a swap, I'll be spending wayyyyy more than I ever wanted to.

Sad thing is, I've wanted to do some small pansy drift just for kicks, but I have this odd feeling something rusted is going to snap into pieces if I tried. Also had a chance to do some autox for free, but yea that woulda ended real ugly I'm sure.
Old 11-27-2005, 10:18 PM

i think you should replace the rusted parts and get your engine bay cleaned
Old 11-27-2005, 10:19 PM

nah don't worry about it mang if something breaks from a little sideways action i wouldn't feel safe in that car anyways. and if u wanna be extra cautious wait till its raining/snowing and do it then?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:13 AM

you have the manual seat belts dont ya? Lucky bastard.

good luck with it
Old 11-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Nice man!
Old 11-28-2005, 11:33 PM

ill tell u straight up, those rust spots are nothing, stop your *****ing atleast ur car aint on blocks for going 3 months now,,,

take off that spoiler and bonzo da ***** up, and while u r at it, scratch them rim rust around the antenna (spelling?) spray it with some anti rust if you dont wanna sand it down and repaint it,,, as for the rust right next to the fenders near the suspension on both sides, make sure u remove that rubber bushing piece that help support the hood, that is what causes the water to sit and rust. aite it's 2:30 am ranting, so im off
Old 11-29-2005, 11:20 AM

looks to be in good shape mostly...the bad things you have pics of arent that bad ive seen worst that have been fixed and look real good.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:21 PM

Not bad, can't wait to see it when some TLC has been performed. Keep us Posted
Old 12-03-2005, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

gut it. clean it. sand it. then replace whats needed with either oem or aftermarket parts. rebuild ka if you want a cheaper alternative then getting an rb or sr. when rebuilding use whats needed to get the results you want. as in, if you want to boost it later then do decent internals, but get what you need nothing more. realism is what you need. dont go off the deep end and get a bunch of stuff you dont need. unless you want to be working on it forever.