Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Body Work Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 12:28 AM

Body Work Project

Sup everyone for a while now I have been thinking of fixing my body up. Taking out the little dents and primering it myself. I have never done this before chances are that i will mess up but this is my project car and only car. Just want to get some inputs in and to see if anyone has done this by themselves aswel.

Hollow
Old 04-10-2004, 11:41 PM

hey bro. i i'm on the same project as you. was just about post the samething. just bought 240 and wanted to learn body work. to save some money!

come on guys! give some tips! any would help>>>>thanks in advance..
Old 04-11-2004, 08:44 AM

I'm not a proffessional, but me and my friends did a little body work on his CRX before he sold it, nothing real major. Molded on side skirts and took off his crappy aluminum spoiler and covered the holes that were left behind. For it being our first time doing anything like this and even touching bondo, I think it came out pretty damn good. Only advice I can offer is read directions, be patient, and take your time. I know its not that much help, just trying to give a little advice though
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 PM

im on the same boat, currently doing body work on my 95 240sx, i've removed the whole front end/fenders/rear bumper/ as well as removed the antenna and 3rd brake light to be shaved.
i sanded down the drivers side and rear trunk i need to do the passenger side and the roof.
but next time i go home to continue , i will remove the door handles and side view mirrors.
some area's i got down to the metal, for this you should use bare metal primer, they come in a spray can.
that way the paint/primer doesn't bubble up over time.
also i use 100 and 150 grit sand paper for my rotary sander.

tape the edges of the mouldings and cover the windows if you don't remove them... do as good of a job as you can and take your time when you prep the car for bondo/primer/paint etc.
make sure you read the directions on the bondo's label, if you use too much hardener it will harden too fast and be super difficult to sand down.

when spraying primer/paint hold the gun a good foot and a half away (18 inches or more) and spray an even pattern , don't stay on one spot too long....

well this is what i've acquired from reading paint tips, so....... take it for what you will.
i hope my project turns out nicely and the paint to be flawless.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:56 PM

element sounds like your having a lot of fun on your project. hopefully i dont mess up my car if i do start it.

thx for the tips.

Hollow
Old 04-20-2004, 06:49 AM

Having studied Autobody and worked in my uncle's shop, the thing to remember is take your time, and don't be afraid.

When it comes to priming, if you are using a spray can get one of those triggger type handles for the can ( makes it 100 times easier) Start your spraying just to the outside of the panel and go across in one motion to the other side, keep the nossle 16 -18 inches away, and keep your hand even with the panel so you will get even coverage. When you start the next pass go down so you are covering about half of what you sprayed allready. It will take several coats to cover.

As for painting..if you have never done it before you might want to leave that to a professional.

But you basic body work is easy, there are tons of books and articles aout there that can show you what to do.

Last edited by Enan; 04-20-2004 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:06 AM

it takes time and patience...the main goal is to have a smooth blending body work...thats where 99% of the body work/paint is..coz spraying takes about 2 hours the most and how ever the body work is..thats how the paint shows up...soo goodluck and just take your time and do it right