Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Carbon Fiber Hoods 95-96

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 04:23 PM

Question Carbon Fiber Hoods 95-96

Are carbon fiber hoods available for 95-6 240SXs? I heard ViSracing makes em but i have never seen any pictures of them. Anybody know where to find em?
Old 10-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

www.importfan.com

their carbon fiber hoods are really good...and only $399...

its C-Wings i think...dont buy any other parts like fenders or body kits from them tho, they are crap, unless they are a name brand...just their hoods are good..lol
Old 10-27-2003, 10:42 PM

hey thanks 95_240SXSE

In my search for body kits for a 95 240, i came about this site

http://www.takakaira.com/aerokits/ae...menu.asp?cat=4

and i was looking at the Shift Sports body kits for the Silvia S14, and i noticed that they make carbon fiber hoods as well, and the one on that blue S14 ('93.10~'96.5) looks pretty sweet and i havent seen that one on importfan.com or visracing.com.

So i was wondering if i can get that hood in the US somewhere or a similar one or maybe have a custom one made. I dont know is it just me or are there not that many aftermarket hoods for the 95-96 240?
Old 10-28-2003, 12:05 AM

sorry to be of no help, but i gotta admit that is one tight *** s14 there. i tried to copy paste but takaira be protectin' their ****.
Old 10-28-2003, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

I think this is close to, if not the same as what you may be looking for:

http://www.bodykits.com/fullview.php...option_price=0

I just did a Google search for "240SX carbon fiber hood" and there were a lot of resluts. The link above was the first result that had the hood like what you saw at TK.

BTW I know a lot of "show guys" who order stuff from TK. They said that TK is pretty good but shipping is WHOA because everything comes from Japan.

GL
Old 10-28-2003, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the link man. I searched for the same thing and found many results, including fiber glass hoods.

I was talking to my friend the other day and i was telling him how i was gonna get a carbon fiber hood and he was telling me that i should go for a fiber glass hood cos its lighter. I thought that carbon fiber hoods were the best aftermarket ones to get. So fiberglass or carbon fiber.....?

I forgot to add, this is the site where i saw the predator style fiber glass hood for a 95-96 240sx http://www.importinnovation.com/aero...l.aspx?ID=1559

Is this the same type of hood that Supra had in Fast and the Furious? (dont worry i hated that movie too )

Last edited by fAt_sUnNy; 10-28-2003 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by fAt_sUnNy
...he was telling me that i should go for a fiber glass hood cos its lighter. I thought that carbon fiber hoods were the best aftermarket ones to get. So fiberglass or carbon fiber.....?
Fiberglass is lighter than sheet metal, but I don't think it's lighter than c/f. Also, c/f is stronger than fiberglass at the same thickness.

I personally like the c/f better than fiberglass. When you shop around, here's a couple things to look for:

1) Double-sided or single-sided: Double-sided hoods have the c/f "pattern" visible on the underside of the hood, whereas single has the c/f on the outside only. The double-sided hoods were made more for the show guys who would most likely pop their hoods to show off the engine.

2) Grade A: Grade A is the best; the c/f is high quality and practically flawless when you look at it.

3) Latch: Believe it or not, there's still some c/f hoods that are latchless, requiring you to use hood pins to secure them.

That's all I could think of
Old 10-28-2003, 01:05 PM

i think imma stick with carbon fiber. The problem is that i want a predator style carbon fiber hood for my 240 and i cant find it. How much is it to have a custom one made? and where can i get it made?

The link that u gave me for the invader style c/f hood, is that hood scoop/vent functional? I will soon be doing a RB25 swap so is it better to get a hood that lets some air through?

Will i need to use hood pins even if the hood has a latch?
Old 10-28-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by l2aine
I think this is close to, if not the same as what you may be looking for:

http://www.bodykits.com/fullview.php...option_price=0

I just did a Google search for "240SX carbon fiber hood" and there were a lot of resluts. The link above was the first result that had the hood like what you saw at TK.

BTW I know a lot of "show guys" who order stuff from TK. They said that TK is pretty good but shipping is WHOA because everything comes from Japan.

GL
now i got the hood i want. thank you for being very productive.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

lionel - no problem buddy!

Originally posted by fAt_sUnNy
i think imma stick with carbon fiber. The problem is that i want a predator style carbon fiber hood for my 240 and i cant find it. How much is it to have a custom one made? and where can i get it made?

The link that u gave me for the invader style c/f hood, is that hood scoop/vent functional? I will soon be doing a RB25 swap so is it better to get a hood that lets some air through?

Will i need to use hood pins even if the hood has a latch?
Here you go pal:
http://body-kits.com/aerogear/predator_hoods.htm
Scroll down to the 240SX list and you'll see 2 versions (fg and c/f)

As far as I can remember, the Invader scoop/vent is functional. Air is always good because it'll cool your engine down; however, the vent I think the way it's designed was to let hot engine bay air out. The only thing you would have to worry about is when it rains. If there's nothing directly underneath the vent that will get affected by water (distributor, etc.) then you should be ok.

As for hood pins, it there's a latch then I don't think hood pins are mandatory. The c/f hood and hood pin combo was popular back when c/f hoods were just sheets with no built-in latch.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:39 PM

Thanks a lot |2aine!

I went to Aerogear's website before but thought they only made the predator hood in fiberglass. Well i used their site to find authorized dealers in my area and already found a place to buy it from! its gonna cost $599 tho but its well worth it.

I have read somewhere that after doing an RB25 swap, the hood has to be modded. I dont exactly know why it has to be modded but now im worried about buying that predator hood and having problems installing it. Mann what the hell do i do?!
Old 10-29-2003, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

I'd wait for the engine to be in and running before changing the hood. Engine swaps take more time than hoods, and you can check for clearance BEFORE you drop 6bills on a vented hood that won't close because the vent hits the valve cover, or something.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:28 PM
Contributing Member

You should do the swap first then do the hood, if u get mckinneys motor/tranny mounts u shouldnt have a problem with hood clearance, it should be fine and dandy and fit good w/o further modifications. If you dont get custom mounts then u will have to cut a lil of the hood skelaton(SP?)so u wont notice it from the exterior
Old 10-30-2003, 12:31 AM

i be reading the new scc magazine. vis is ready to sell cf/fiberglass ****. i might have been slow with this information. oh well, there are some who dont know.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:47 AM
Contributing Member

check this place out.. i would definately buy from these guys.. check out their rediculous tests on their hoods!!

http://www.fiberimages.com

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Hoods 95-96