Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

has anyone used fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 07:51 PM

Question has anyone used fiberglass?

so i'm at advanced the other day in the paint section just looking around and i see they have some fiberglass. i think to myself, "self this might be easier and cheaper then getting my hatch welded" well that's what brings me here today. i was just wondering if anyone else had gone this route and if so did it come out clean and if it was difficult. another question i have is all the support right were the rust is on the underside of the hatch; do you have to remove that or something to get to the rust spots to fix it?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:02 PM

Here's the thing. Using fiberglass on metal is the same as bondo. I'll work if you do it right, but you run the risk of it cracking and peelign off. I've sued fiberglass in bumpers and I'm making a fiberglass hood now. If you need to reapir some metal b/c of rust, you are better off grinding it and welding it, b/c with bondo or fiberglass, it can rust again, and you won't see it until the whoel piece comes off. If it starts to rust, you can see it with the metal. you know ,not all jobs are that good, so unless you're willing to spend a lot of grinding, using primer and glue, patienece and all, The I would say only use fiberglass for bumpers, not for metal.