Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

May be building a budget dirft/show car....Is this any good?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 02:08 PM

May be building a budget dirft/show car....Is this any good?

I found a 1993 240sx hatch, black 5spd. 207K miles, but motor rebuilt at 193K.
Has a new clutch and starter, but motor is running a little rough- he said it could be a dirty injector or spark plug.
There are various dents on fenders, hatch, doors...paint looks like hell
He is asking $600 for the car. My guess is that it has a KA24DE.

First I plan on putting on a widebody kit, CF hatch, fresh paint, wheels, springs and exhaust.

The next stage will be to gut the interior, CF rear seat delete, CF door panels, Momo Steering wheel and shift **** and Saprco seats/harnesses up front.

Finally, I will build up the engine with a reliable turbo system. Is it safe on a 200K+ mile engine?

Heres the kit:

Is the first stage possible with around a $4k budget?
The 2nd and 3rd stage won't be possible until spring or summer.
Is it worth doing with a car this old?

TIA
Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Contributing Member

um u mean wide body kit, paint, wheels to fit the wide body, cf hatch, coil overs and exhaust for 4k? um.. if so hell not even if u did everything ur self and got wholesale prices on the crapiest parts u can find can u do it for 4k lol...
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by battosaii930
um u mean wide body kit, paint, wheels to fit the wide body, cf hatch, coil overs and exhaust for 4k? um.. if so hell not even if u did everything ur self and got wholesale prices on the crapiest parts u can find can u do it for 4k lol...
-I can get that kit for $750. Some guy local has it sitting in his garage.
-Paint/Prep shouldn't be more than $1200, I plan to install the bodykit myself.
-Wheels and tires I'll buy used...maybe $750 max. Looking for something in a Gold or Gunmetal Finish, and a polished lip.
-TEIN S-Tech Springs...some guy local has a set for $60. cut off a coil for a better drop. Again, install myself.
-A universal $100 Megan Racing or Apex N1 will be good enough until I re-do the engine. shouldn't be more than $60 for install.

It's a tight budget, but I think it can be done. CF hatch doesn't have to be done now, i can just fill in the dents in the old hatch with bondo and it'll look fine.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

I think you should spend more time on larger forums and learn more. Perhaps I could explain if you do not understand my bit of advice.

Finally, I will build up the engine with a reliable turbo system. Is it safe on a 200K+ mile engine?
There are various dents on fenders, hatch, doors...paint looks like hell
He is asking $600 for the car. My guess is that it has a KA24DE.
First I plan on putting on a widebody kit, CF hatch, fresh paint, wheels, springs and exhaust.

The next stage will be to gut the interior, CF rear seat delete, CF door panels, Momo Steering wheel and shift **** and Saprco seats/harnesses up front.
Did you just recently get into the scene? Or even cars in general?
Old 01-23-2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by yarou
Did you just recently get into the scene? Or even cars in general?
recently got interested in 240sx's...Just looking for a fun project.

I know I sound like a n00b...I spend most of my time on MBWorld and MyMBOnline forums.

Heres my car...C32 AMG.

Name:  CIMG0702.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  71.2 KB

Progression Thread: http://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182698
Old 01-23-2008, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

if you want to drift for real just getting springs aint gona cut it esp if u cut them to make them lower.

people might not agree with me but imo there is either a show car or a race car it cant be both and imo race cars are nicer lol.

/end suspension rant

sorry i rant alot about suspension

im pretty sure u cant do it with 4k but dont let me try to stop you id be glad if you could prove me wrong i always like seeing nice 240s out there

good luck
Old 01-23-2008, 04:36 PM

thanks. what do you guys think of the widebody kit? is it a POS?
I could just fill in the dents in the fenders and leave it non-widebody...
Old 01-23-2008, 04:49 PM

That is a nice car you got there. Any way when you do get a 240sx Post pics
Old 01-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, you'll have to pick one or the other. And with that budget, you could easily make a budget drift car. Learn more, especially since I'm sure how the car looks is important to you, modern automotive styling for cars is pretty strict nowadays so you should at least have a PhD in wheel offset and sizing. Seriously though, all the questions you asked could be answered by sticking around, and diving into the complex and scary world we call car scene common sense. I'm not kidding, it's complicated as ****. You'll understand.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:18 PM

pop out those dents, then forget the body kit and your other ricey ideas. if the car is only 600$ then you can go for a full SR20 swap and have it done professionally. I dont think you shud go with a turbo for the KA but if you do that, atleast do that first.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:31 PM

No car with 200K should be messed with. I would pull the motor set, and swap, then suspension and brakes before a body kit
Old 01-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Man, you're going to need new struts too, something along the lines of KYB AGX. Cut springs on stock struts equals instantly blown struts (if they arent already) and a HORIRBLY bouncy ride, like so bouncy the car will be hazardous to drive. Spend at least 1k on suspension, that is not something you want to **** around with.

Oh, and the cheapest ebay **** exhaust (i have one) is $200 shipped. Megans are more than that. Anybody with a basic set of tools and a can of WD40 can install a catback exhaust themselves.

I would say that the wheel budget is cutting it close too, as its gonna be harder to find something in 4 lug that will look good.

Last edited by ryguy; 01-23-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Contributing Member

if your building a drift car why even bother with a body kit?? its going to take a beating

i would budget more of trying to fix the powerplant, susp, and brakes before any of that ****

having carbon and a body kit doesn't make it a drift car...or a show car..

anyway..good luck bro
Old 01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rlee02135
-TEIN S-Tech Springs...some guy local has a set for $60. cut off a coil for a better drop. Again, install myself.
On "widebody?' im sorry but do you know that it will look and handle like ****?

i say you get it running straight first, general maintenance/tune up, replace some bushings, suspension, ect. And dont buy springs.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:03 AM

Somebody mentioned spending $1k on suspension... Why not just go with the Tein drift spec coilovers? They're like $1500, EDFC compatible, and built specifically for drift...

Quick Reply: May be building a budget dirft/show car....Is this any good?