Show and Shine Discuss the latest aero kits, and other non-performance items in here.

Removing S13 Gauge cluster!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 04:00 PM

Exclamation Removing S13 Gauge cluster!

How the crap can I get the black piece off that has the hazard light, dimmer, cruise controll and all of?!?!?! The tilt lever is in the way!!! I have a blown bulb and I think I am just going to put LEDs in the gauge, I just can't get to it
Old 04-19-2005, 11:27 PM

u just pull it off...that what i did..its a *****...
Old 04-20-2005, 03:47 PM

Steering coulmn and associated stuff is in the way right? take apart the bottom of the dash so you can get to the steering column, theres 4 big bolts holding it up, just loosen them all until you have enough clearance to pull the cluster out. Thats how i did it. Hope this helps.
Old 04-21-2005, 07:34 PM

ya so i changed my guages too....it was a *****...i just bent it enuf and struggled with it till it came outt......its even harder to get it back in
Old 04-23-2005, 10:53 AM

Here's the deal ...

1) there's the lower part of the dash that covers basically all the wires. They are being held up by seven 10mm bolts all together but u can just remve the five in a row that basically cover the back of the steering column.

2) once you do that, then there's 6 philips head screws that hold the cover of the front steering column behind the wheel.

3) now make sure u flip it up and get under to the rear part again going into the firewall. you see two 12mm bolts that hold the column up. unbolt those.

4) make sure you flip the steering wheel down after u have dropped it so it makes it a lil bit more easy.

5) unscrew the 2 philips head screws that are located at the top of the cluster bezel.

6) Unclip the bottom and slowly pull it out to avoid breaking it.

7) once pulled out about halfway, remove all the plugs to all the buttons (up to 3 on oneside and up to 4 on the other).

8) Remove it completely.

9) there will be three philips head screws (one on top and two on bottom) that hold ur cluster in, pull that out and there u have it.

Cluster is out and just reverse the steps when you want to put it back in. I've taken my **** apart too many times lol ...

OH!!! and as for the LED's .. they light up **** .. its a direct beam so don't use them. I found out for myself but at the time I worked at a car stereo shop so I got them for next to nothing.

Last edited by Treyz; 04-23-2005 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:39 PM

Help!

I'm trying to install some indiglo gauges i got on my 91 240. I have the gauges on already and am ready to put the cluster back in. but the instructions say to connect the wire to my parking light source and not my stock dimmer cause it will fry the gauges. and the other wire has to be connected to a ground which is any metal part of the car i'm guessing. What I wanna know is where is my parking light source cause i have no clue. somebody please help me out a.s.a.p. thanks.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:44 PM

Ur lucky that I'm holding a cluster in my hand lol ...

in the middle harness behind the cluster, there's a blue and red wire on the right side of that harness, you'll see that the line read to ILL+ ... that should do the trick so that when you put the park lights on, that'll turn on with it.

try that.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:22 PM

or you could splice it into your cig lighter and have it on whenever the cars on.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:56 PM

Thx a lot everyone. I soldered the positive and negative wires onto the back of the gauge cluster. I had my friend's dad use his voltmeter to tell me which one gave the best charge. Everything works fine....now I just gotta find a place to mount the switch for the gauge colors...