T28 Install - Help: coolant lines, etc. - S-Chassis.com

Old 09-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #1

T28 Install - Help: coolant lines, etc.

I've got pretty much everything figure out except a few things. If anyone is brilliant enough to give me a hand here I would greatly appreciate it.

1. With the T28 mounted to the engine, which side is intended to be the coolant in, and which side is the coolant out? There's two places, the side towards the block and away from the block. Right now I have it so that the block-side of the turbo is the coolant out, away-side is the coolant in.

2. There's a coolant line that connect right to the side of the block near the turbo, and a coolant line that goes back behind the block, connecting to a rubber hose via a clamp and joining into the heater pipe, is that correct? The one going behind the block is the coolant return from the turbo, is that correct?

3. How do you run the coolant line meant to go behind the block when you upgrade to a T28 BB Turbo? The standard s13 hard line will not fit - (hits the turbo housing) and the s15 hard line will not fit (has banjo fittings on both sides and so will not connect to the rubber hose)

- How do you make a braided line work for the coolant line going behind the block?

4. I received a suggestion that I block the hose coming from behind the block and run the braided line up to the aluminum elbow piece at the top of the radiator, drill a hole and tap it in there for coolant instead of running it back behind the block. Anyone know anything about this?

I would really appreciate any answers you guys might have that might help me figure out this T28 install.
Yamaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
Contributing Member

hmm well since i didnt want to bend the hardlines cause id probably kink them i got steel braided lines when i installed my t28.

so here is how i have it:

Oil inlet: Top
Oil Return: Bottom (obvious lol)
now for coolant im not sure which was inlet or return i just put it how the t25 was and never had an issue.

the hose from behind the head i put on the inlet facing the block and the hose on the side of the block i put on the inlet facing out towards the strut tower.

let me see if i can find a pic

and btw my braided lines are Taka lines made specifically for the t28 on s13 SR.

got them from this website for about $80 but they no longer have the taka lines they do have some "earl" lines for pricey $135
http://www.optionimports.com/tas13srbomot.html
battosaii930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Contributing Member

sorry not the best pic but u should see how it goes
Name:  100_4089.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  168.2 KB
Old 09-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #4

hmm that answers my questions 1 and 2 but how about 3 and 4?

How do you run the coolant line meant to go behind the block when you upgrade to a T28 BB Turbo?

How do you make a braided line work for the coolant line going behind the block?

Did you just cut the hard line and slide the braided one over it? How did you do this?
Yamaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:14 AM   #5
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battosaii930 View Post

and btw my braided lines are Taka lines made specifically for the t28 on s13 SR.

http://www.optionimports.com/tas13srbomot.html
they go on no modification at all
Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #6

when me and my buddy put this turbo in his silvia we just bent the hardline a little, i dont think it leaked cant remember anymore lol.

or if you are good at brazing you could cut the one line and then weld the end off the T28 onto the original line?
Race_bred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:09 AM   #7

sounds good to me.
jasonsmith092 is offline   Reply With Quote