S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   any racing shocks/struts? (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/any-racing-shocks-struts-9015/)

mikolee 01-17-2004 09:31 PM

any racing shocks/struts?

fron www.zilvia.net, i saw that the highest spring rate for a spring was the kgmm (dr21 racing?) with 6.6/5.2 spring rate. now i was wondering if there were any shocks sold domestically that can handle these spring rates.

the kyb agx can only handle 50% more than stock spec, which is a shame b/c i had my heart set on those.

i think koni (yellow?) can handle the rsr race springs... can anyone verify this? if they can, i will just have to settle for that setup because i doubt that there is any strut/shock that can handle the kgmm's

chriswgsx 01-18-2004 10:29 AM

i looking for the link on the web page and i can't find it. i am also looking to pick up a set of springs with the stiffest possible spring rate available. can you tell me where on the site i can find them?

mikolee 01-18-2004 11:21 AM

hmm... i think i read somewhere that you would have to get them from a company that imports from japan. apparently, the kgmm's are VERY rare and VERY hard to find and they cost like $400/set.

this is also part of the reason im settling for rsr springs ($200?) and their rates arent that much off (5.x/4.x?) and i also doubt that any shocks can handle those rates, short of the racing ones in japan of course.

but... im hoping that some1 can prove me wrong (which is why i made the post =)) so i can get those sweet ass kgmm's!

whizbang18T 01-18-2004 11:53 AM

where did read about the kyb agx's only handling up to 50% more than stock spec? 50% more what exactly? i'm just unclear of what you're trying to achieve ... to my understanding, shocks are simply for dampening, right? your car doesn't sit on the shox - the springs carry the majority of the load. so i'm a little confused why the agx's "can't handle" the kgmms? i think what should be kept in mind is ride height & pre-load on the dampeners (shocks) ...

mikolee 01-18-2004 02:31 PM

im not sure if its 50% exactly but i know that they will blow if i use them with kgmm's. i read on the nico forums that kgmm and rsr springs void the warranty. not sure about the rsr, but kgmm definitely...

im sorry. i guess i wasnt clear. what i meant to say was, which shocks can be used with kgmm's or rsr springs that will let me keep the warranty.

again sorry for the confusion

mikolee 01-18-2004 02:34 PM

i need to be sure the combo will last me until i graduate college and earn enuf for some cusco coilovers (2 years time)

$_$

mikolee 01-18-2004 02:46 PM

btw, chris sorry for the delay, but go to www.zilvia.net tech page, and at the top left corner, there is a section called the spring rate archive... it has coilovers and srpings. no drop heights tho =/. very useful nonetheless

whizbang18T 01-18-2004 04:29 PM

i could understand blowing the shocks if they're pre-loaded (again - emphasis on ride height & compression stroke versus spring rate) ... it really makes no sense to me how you could if the spring rates were stiffer ... especially in the case of stiff springs w/ a mild drop (a la RS-R Race springs)

whizbang18T 01-18-2004 04:39 PM

Catharsis 01-19-2004 03:17 PM

they are all softer than mine... 12/10 baby

chriswgsx 01-20-2004 02:52 PM

the tein basics on ebay for $780 with a spring rate of 6 kgmm/336 front and rear on the tein website. helluva deal for that kinda money!!!