Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Make your 240sx/Silvia's handling better and stopping faster.

ATT: Justin.B and anyone upgrading to Z32 brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 11:31 PM

Exclamation ATT: Justin.B and anyone upgrading to Z32 brakes.

Dude, so I can get rotors, calipers, and what else, straight from the Z32? look, explain it to me as though I were a 4 year-old. I jump in my moms car, drive to the junk yard. Find a Z32 and step by step, what do I do? oh yeah, I almost forgot. I wanna change my rear diff. I want something with an LSD, do I get one from a 240, or can I get this from a Z32 as well? you're like the only dude in this forum that actually helps. I trully appreciate that. Awww man, now I'm gonna cry
Old 03-18-2003, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

For the front brakes here's what you need:

2 Calipers from a 1990 non-turbo.
These are the 26mm aluminum ones. The turbo used 30mm disks and wider calipers that will cause some interference problems. 26mm will fit behind most stock S13 SE wheels.

2 Rotors
You can get these used or new. I would recommend buying them new since you will need to have them redrilled for the 4 bolt pattern. srswap.com sells them already drilled for the swap.

Brake lines.
You will have to go new on these. They are avaikable from several vendors. Stock 240 lines won't work, and stock Z32 lines won't work. You need a hybrid line with the body side connection from a 240 and the caliper end from a Z32. I know that www.pdm-racing.com sells them. Others may as well.

Front pads from a Z32. Again, PDM sells some, as will several other places. I've used the Metal Masters and the KVR carbon pads. Both work very well and are inexpensive. The one thing to keep in mind is that these pads will need to warm a bit before they give full grip. Since they are still street pads one good stop is usually all it takes, and they're far from dangerous when cold so don't be too worried about that.

That should be it. If you want, you can go with a larger master cylinder as well, but it's not necessary. The Z32 mc is not a direct swap, having one of the outlets on the opposite side. So unless you want to replumb some hard lines you may want to save that for later.

As for the rear brakes - I'd leave them alone. Fronts do 80% of the braking anyway rear upgrades are mainly for looks and it's a major pain to get the parking brakes to work.

for used parts you can try www.car-part.com

-Justin
Old 03-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

I'm less sure on the LSDs... so someone can hopefully fill in the blanks.

The easiest route is to find an LSD from an S13. In the US they are kind of hard to find. If you find a donor car with HICAS then it will have LSD. LSD is more common on Canadian models as well. There are also a few companies importing them from Japan, and those will all drop in.

I believe the differential from an n/a Z32 will bold up as well, but I'm not sure if all of these had LSD. Turbos had LSD but use a five bold pattern for the half-shafts instead of the six bolt on the 240 or n/a Z32. If the half shafts are the same lenght on the turbo, you can use those, but you will also have to go with turbo rear hubs and their accompanying 5 lug pattern for the wheels, which will also mean upgrading wheels and either re drilling the stock rotors or swapping to Z32 rear brakes and the e-brake headaches.

My recommendation - find an S13 LSD. It will usually cost anywhere from $200 (lucky find from a junkyard) and $400 (from a company that is importing them).

-Justin
Old 03-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Justin.b
As for the rear brakes - I'd leave them alone. Fronts do 80% of the braking anyway rear upgrades are mainly for looks and it's a major pain to get the parking brakes to work.
Rear is easier than you think. www.projectsilvia.com makes an adapter to connect the 240 ebrake lines to the 300z calipers.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

I believe the differential from an n/a Z32 will bold up as well,
You need output shafts to use the 300z lsd. The 300z ones are too big.

but I'm not sure if all of these had LSD.
All of them did.

Turbos had LSD but use a five bold pattern for the half-shafts instead of the six bolt on the 240 or n/a Z32. If the half shafts are the same lenght on the turbo, you can use those
It's physically impossible to use the 300z TT LSD since it's an R230 diff rather than the R200 which was in 240's and N/A 300z's. Not only is the R230 too big to fit the final drive ratio is different too.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Told ya I didn't know the LSD's.

I found out enough to know I was only willing to go with an S13 LSD.

Thanks for clearing up the Z32 info!

-Justin
Old 03-19-2003, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
Rear is easier than you think. www.projectsilvia.com makes an adapter to connect the 240 ebrake lines to the 300z calipers.
They are always out of stock though
Old 03-19-2003, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Well that sucks.
Old 03-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by I'm with Stupid
Well that sucks.
I think I am going to go with the fronts for now and the rears at a later date.