S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   Coilover Install Help (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/coilover-install-help-43684/)

fbmbiker79 04-25-2008 01:24 PM

Coilover Install Help

HEY does anyone know how to install coil springs onto a 1990 240sx they didnt come with instructions thanks any help is apreciated they are no name brand:smileeek:

jramosthe1st! 04-25-2008 04:54 PM

"coil over" sleeves or the real thing? coil overs and shocks/struts are installed the same way. if they are sleeves don't bother with them they are not worth the time, effort, money and can be dangerous.

fbmbiker79 04-25-2008 05:14 PM

they are the coilovers that u put on your stock struts/shocks and is there any special way to put em on?

Enlefo 04-25-2008 05:23 PM

Then they are not actually coil overs. Listen to Jramos, they are not worth it. If you doubt it... search.

Biggamehit 04-25-2008 05:25 PM

they are coil over sleeves brother... please toss them in the trash dude.. im sorry...

but if you must know..

1. remove spring via spring compressor
2. at the base of valve there will be a metal cap, you have to knock that off.
3.. place the sleeves on.
4. enjoy a boaty bouncy ride
5. take them off 1hr later and put your stock spring back on

6. i know becuase i did it in one night years ago..

fbmbiker79 04-26-2008 12:39 AM

lol sounds fun i kno this might sound dumb but right now i just want it low cause honestly im not getting good ones till i get all my sr stuff done and what not also oh well bouncy me friend has the same one on his 93 hatch and it rides fine just a lil bounce but almost stock quality and do you have a pic of the metal cap i have to knock off?

Biggamehit 04-26-2008 04:53 AM

hahah dude totally the wrong way.... bro are you like just getting into cars????

power with stock suspension is the worst route ever man... but eh you will learn lol... when i locate a picture... ill post it for you

I recommend a good set of struts and lowering springs same height better ride and if you do get Full Coilovers, you can sell them.... sleeves are just bad news... unless you have some very very high qulity race style sleeves. and yea i don't think you going to pay close to 1000 for some sleeves.

the ebay ones will leave you screwed up bro..... I know.

fbmbiker79 04-26-2008 11:13 AM

yea i just want it low for drop fest and for around town till i get my edura tech ones but thanks man i know your just trying to help but right now im trying to do somthing with lil money at the moment

TypeX180 04-26-2008 11:32 AM

its better to save for quality parts then just throw your money away

fbmbiker79 04-26-2008 12:04 PM

yea well i already got em so i am gonna put them on no point in leaving them sit around so thanks

jramosthe1st! 04-26-2008 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by fbmbiker79 (Post 364128)
no point in leaving them sit around so thanks

exactly, that's why i throw mine away. anyways do what you'd like but you've been warned.

fbmbiker79 04-26-2008 01:24 PM

in your first post yoiu said they can be dangerous how?

jramosthe1st! 04-26-2008 04:43 PM

for starters there's the questionable materials. since these "coil overs" are not from a particular company known for quality we can't know how reliable they are. then there's the problem with the way they are intended to be installed on the struts. the set screws are a joke and you don't know the spring rates. therefor your stocks and struts will be more susceptible to premature failure. on top of that you have to take into consideration the human, because of the nature of the installation process combined with your inexperience more likely than not something will go wrong.

Biggamehit 04-26-2008 04:48 PM

ok..... the issue is not the sleeve itself... the issue is the springs that come on most of the coilover sleeves have horrible (unknown) rates and are made out of crappy material... have you ever had to dodge something in the road before? i have seen people with crappy coilover sleeves go left and right and lose it, not becuase they suck at driving, but becuase the characteristics are drastically changed by adding these springs. they are basically trying to support the weight of your car and for the most part are fully compressed the entire time. i would suggest looking up how suspension works to get a better scientific understanding.

there are some respectable brands out like Matrix... but they are a waste in the long run bro... however install them and see how you like them... and then come back to us and tell us what you think..

modifying a car is trail and error. but now with all the info available web wide.... people should be making less mistakes,

you see where the rubber is laying on the metal inbetween the coils... you have to knock the cap off in order to seat the coilover sleeve.

ps

your stock struts will blow in about 2-3 weeks by installing these also.

http://www.240projects.com/images/struts/dis2.jpg

fbmbiker79 04-26-2008 04:55 PM

ok well they are matrix i got em off ebay tho so idk they came in the box lol but no instructions i got em for liek 50 i was liek **** it why not cause this car only needs to look good for now this fall the full rebuild will be going on