S-Chassis.com

S-Chassis.com (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/)
-   Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/)
-   -   Coilover Install Help (https://www.s-chassis.com/forums/suspension-chassis-brakes-15/coilover-install-help-43684/)

Ayuaddict 04-27-2008 12:39 PM

ive had setups like this on many Hondas, but we always use Ground Controls, and either Koni yellows or Tokico Illuminas, we would like to use KYB AGX but they just cant handle the drop and will blow.

either way, these sleeves on stock struts are generally bad news.

one, because they WILL blow within a couple weeks.

two, because you wont go very low at all unless you modify your strut extensively, simply because of the perch design in the front.

Biggamehit 04-27-2008 01:36 PM

yeaup, boy was i pissed.... im like thats as low as i got Figgidy ***

fbmbiker79 04-27-2008 02:12 PM

how do i modifiy them to make them go lower?

jramosthe1st! 04-27-2008 04:18 PM

i find it funny that everyone is talking about blowing your struts in no time yet you insist on going through with it. like i said you've been warned so i'm done.

fbmbiker79 04-27-2008 04:33 PM

gotta buy new ones somtime and i got a bunch of em off my friends car

MS!3 04-27-2008 04:42 PM

throw that scrap metal away.

Ayuaddict 04-27-2008 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by fbmbiker79 (Post 364240)
how do i modifiy them to make them go lower?

cut the stock perch off, but first take the damper apoart and remove all gases, piston, everything, then weld a smaller perch just wide enough to hold the sleeve further down on the (now empty) shock body, then cut off and re-weld the mounting bracket as far up as you can, measuring to make sure the bottom of the strut body does not hit the LCA or sway bar endlink.

but before all that you might just want to think about whether all that work is worth putting ebay coilover sleeves on stock shocks.

o.g.darkdrifter 04-27-2008 09:23 PM

I had the ground control sleeves on my AE86........yeah after about six months I hated myself for not getting full coilovers. I find power before good susp completely useless. A person who actually enjoys driving for the thrill of driving can appreciate good handling before having gobs of power you cant do anything with besides go in a straight line. Good luck if you insist to go through with this though.

crazydrifter 04-27-2008 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by o.d.darkdrifter (Post 364288)
A person who actually enjoys driving for the thrill of driving can appreciate good handling before having gobs of power you cant do anything with besides go in a straight line. Good luck if you insist to go through with this though.

I am guilty of that and the end result was i sold my car so i can start over from the GROUND up.

Ayuaddict 04-28-2008 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by crazydrifter (Post 364304)
I am guilty of that and the end result was i sold my car so i can start over from the GROUND up.

yea man, live and learn right?

fbmbiker79 04-28-2008 08:15 AM

well dont matter now im sellin my car this week lol i piad 600 for the thing and im selling it for a truck thats jacked up about 4 feet off the ground with tractor tires on it and 1200 lol i gotta love my hustling skills lol